Forums Latest Members

Who is buying watches on Reddit?

1. Toishome Jun 5, 2020

I am assuming there are people actually buying watches on Reddit cause I can see lots of listings.
    Is this crazy or am I just being very paranoid? I see some nice watches there but like the old saying goes "if something seems too good to be true it probably is"

orlis and funkright like this.
  2. funkright Jun 5, 2020

I’ve often wondered this myself. Interested to see the comments on this thread when others chime in :confused:

3. dougwhiz Jun 5, 2020

I've purchased a Seamaster 600 from Kabaclyde on Reddit with no issues. However, I'd be a little leery about sending off $1000+ to just anyone on Reddit. There are reviews that allow you to Buy the Seller, and I'm sure you could use a 3rd party escrow service to handle the transaction for another level of safety. But it all adds to the cost, so that's something to consider if you're trying to score a bargain watch. Caveat emptor still applies.

4. Candle00 Jun 5, 2020

I've also purchased from Kabacylde and had no issues. I've also seen some members on here sell pieces on RedditWatchExchange....

5. Walrus Jun 5, 2020

Bought a dynamic a while back. Complete stranger used fandf but I knew him from communicating a bit in the political talk there. There are a lot of sellers who use it regularly and have built a good reputation. I certainly have not purchased enough to recommend it but I’ve been on Reddit a long time and saw a lot if successful transactions

6. killer67 Jun 5, 2020

Kabaclyde buyer also - Everything went smooth using PP

7. joeshoup Jun 5, 2020

I mostly sell watches on Reddit - there's an eager market for sub-$500 pieces. It's a pretty relaxed community and I've had no problems after about 5 purchases and maybe 15 sales. As always, buy the seller. Reddit is in some ways better than forums as you can see the user's posts on many topics and get a sense of their character. I backed out of a purchase once after seeing how sleazy the seller's posting history was!

+1 for Kabaclyde, very nice fellow and interesting selection of inexpensive vintage pieces.

8. ERBM Jun 6, 2020

I can only imagine the posts and subreddits that that user frequented ::popcorn::

9. Undefeatable Jun 6, 2020

I have almost exclusively bought and sold watches through Reddit over the past year. I prefer it vs the forums for the most part. Usually better deals and as long as you do your due diligence just like on any other platform, you're usually good to go.

10. KeithS Jun 6, 2020

I don't really see the difference between sending money to a stranger advertising on a forum vs. one on Reddit. I haven't personally made a purchase through the Reddit watch exchange yet, but only because the watches I tried to buy had already been sold to someone else. It seems they move a lot faster over there.

connieseamaster likes this.
  11. Toishome Jun 6, 2020

Seems like there are lots of happy users of the Reddit platform. Maybe I don't know my way around and how to go about doing research on a seller. On a Forum it's very straight forward, see how long the user been a member, how active they are, and how many times they have sold and at what price range. Not sure where to find any of that on Reddit.

12. rkman11 Jun 6, 2020

I have. No issues, but as with anywhere buy the seller as well.

13. rob#1 Jun 6, 2020

As with all platforms, and as stated above, buy the seller, use due diligence, and research appropriately.

In the last few days I’ve seen some really scammy activity online. Facebook marketplace had dodgy Planet Oceans, and a new seller on eBay with 0% feedback who allegedly was selling a Speedmaster, Seamaster and a couple of classic Martin guitars - numerous bids on each, and thankfully the lots pulled before anyone lost their $$$$. A couple of weeks back an eBay seller in outback Queensland, Australia used, word for word, a description lifted straight from a legit auction in the UK (the Australian ‘seller’ stated that you could pick up the item from Suffolk, UK,) - again, plenty of bids before it was lifted.

Some nice watches on Reddit though, I haven’t looked for a while so I’ll be heading their later :rolleyes:

14. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 6, 2020

I bought my first watch there haha, probably one of my rarest/favorites. 38MM spillman case belgian airforce issued chronograph.

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 9.02.37 PM.png

5BA97D3B-4049-4352-90FD-44CDD7BE6195.jpeg

Then I discovered MWR, WUS, CT, and OF. Compared to buying things on CT, Reddit is heaven ;)

Edited Jun 6, 2020
  15. befobe Jun 7, 2020

Purchased from stadogs on reddit, excellent communication, as described, super deal...
    Only pb, I wanted to write a feedback, but I'm too "new" to post in the feedback thread...
    So, this post is the one I wanted to do...:)