Forums Latest Members

Anybody bought or sold watches on Reddit?

1. Sublime_1 Jun 18, 2018

There seems to be a lot of watches on Reddit for sale an I was just wondering if anybody had good or bad experiences?
    Ran across this online and it seems interesting and got me wondering about buying on reddit...is it like Ebay where there is some layer of protection or like Wild Wild Craigslist?
    The title states:
    115 vintage beauties - Omega, Rolex, IWC, Cartier, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Zenith, Longines, Tissot, Eterna, Breitling, chronographs,...
    There are a lot of pics in several different sections to go thru but the little that I looked at didn't have any case back or movement pics.

[​IMG]

I'm guessing this is a dealer

2. sxl2004 Jun 18, 2018

I sold one or two watches on reddit. Just like sales on a forum. Feedback is important and can be checked on a sub reddit.
    Different is the ability to like and dislike a post, which determines location on the front page and subsequent interest.
    IMHO reddit is just a legit sales option as fora and eBay

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. GuiltyBoomerang Jun 18, 2018

I too have purchased and sold on reddit, in particular that same sub reddit. As @sxl2004 mentions, it's important to have good feedback, and to have accurate descriptions. As it is more of an open forum you may need to develop thick skin against trolls, posts saying your watch is too expensive, and you'll also get reminders to forum rules from time to time.

sxl2004 likes this.
  4. Sublime_1 Jun 19, 2018

Just like anywhere else...proceed with caution. Thanks for the info.

5. ext1 Jun 19, 2018

I know that seller from that pic- I bought two vintage omegas from him, he's trustworthy. But I would say it's good to be careful with other sellers there just like any other forum.

6. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 19, 2018

Kaba is reputable but as always evaluate the watches by yourself, don't rely on him.

7. ext1 Jun 19, 2018

True, I did do my research before buying, that's always on the onus of the buyer. Caveat emptor. I was just saying though that he's not a scammer. Good point though!

8. cimo Jun 19, 2018

I have sold on Reddit before. As others have said, it is just like the forums where you should ask for feedback and would do well to vet the seller/buyer beforehand.

That said, the post you are referring to is by a well known and established seller, kabaclyde. I have never dealt with him personally, but am familiar enough to suspect that you can confidently work with him.

9. connieseamaster Jun 19, 2018

I've worked with that seller before. He's gotten more prolific lately and I think his QC has suffered as a result (I spotted two unadvertised redials in the last batch). He's very responsive when you message him. He also has his own subreddit that's just his sales: reddit.com/r/kabaclyde

I've bought and sold on reddit a bunch. Treat it like any other forum: make sure both parties are established members of the community, use the most secure method of payment possible, etc. All of the sales subreddits r/watchexchange, r/pen_swap, r/hardwareswap, etc have methods of tracking buyer and seller behavior so use what is available for research.

10. rkman11 Jun 19, 2018

Unfortunate to hear about the redials. Prices seem to range from right on to slight mark up, with one or two I would consider bordering on a deal. Great selection though - if they checked out I could drop some serious coinage!

11. jimmyd13 Jun 19, 2018

Looks like one of "kabaclyde's" listings - feel free to drop me a private message. Bottom line, he's a good guy.

12. connieseamaster Jun 19, 2018

Like I said, when I pointed them out, he was apologetic and responsive so I have no doubts about his honesty as dealer, just occasionally things slip through his internal QC before they hit the market. As always, caveat emptor

rkman11 likes this.
  13. Sublime_1 Jun 19, 2018

Sweet. Thanks everyone for the information.

Guess I'll have to join reddit now.

14. Kmart Jun 19, 2018

I can also attest to Reddit being a good place to buy and sell watches. I have bought and sold several watches each on there and haven't had any issues. My first vintage watch purchase was actually a vintage Seamaster from Kaba, in fact -- this beauty:

[​IMG]

Of course I sold it shortly thereafter because I'm an idiot. ::facepalm2::

I will say be careful signing up for Reddit. It's one of the most addicting places on the internet. I've lost many an hour just browsing the front page...

Sublime_1 likes this.