Who Do you Trust to buy pre-owned?

Hi Everyone,

I've never bought a pre-owned watch, but I've been thinking about buying one or two seamasters from the prior generation. I haven't really locked in yet. But who do you trust these days ( I know it changes)? I'm so leery of fakes, replaced parts, misrepresented condition, faked papers or boxes, etc. I know the adage - buy the seller. But first, I'd like to find whether or not these intermediaries know what they're doing. I've been looking at WatchFinder, eBay ( with guarantee ), Bob'sWatches, etc.

So - if you were a first-timer like me looking to pick up a Peter Blake or an automatic Brosnan or ...well...anything used in the not-all-that-exotic space, where would you look first, who would you trust?

Generally WatchFinder I find to be too expensive. I agree, I'd start with OF then consider eBay and other smaller retailers. Regardless of who you're buying from, it makes sense to do some research and know what you're looking at. Buying a fake is the extreme risk (there aren't many good fakes of the 2531/2254 Seamasters), but buying one in poor condition which has been glossed over by the seller is a real risk

+1 for the forums. Lots of expert eyes looking at those listings. DavidSW, OC Watch Guy will have mostly mint examples and they will be 100% legit. Con, is the premium they sell for which might be worth for some.

Box and papers are not important for me. I would send a relatively modern watch immediately anyway for factory warranty and get the service card/papers.

Your location is also important. It's no good people recommending sellers in the UK/US if you're in Aus.

Logical first choice is here as some have said.

I'm based in the US, and I do most of my buying and selling of pre-owned watches on Reddit (u/watchexchange).

I will typically not buy from a seller that doesn't have an extensive selling history on the platform (each transaction is tracked once confirmed by both parties).

As others have said, this forum. I have bought and sold multiple watches here and have never had an issue.

I only buy preowned, be it watches or cars. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Anyway, I think any site is really game, including eBay or Chrono24. Granted, I just resolved a total fraud situation on Chrono24, but there were several red flags (and, several layers of protection). I’ve had many more great experiences on both sites, so as long as you ask the right questions, get sufficient documentation and the seller is responsive, you should make out well.

It depends on the watch. For Omega I have only bought new or from one of the trusted dealers that others have mentioned. For Rolex I would try to buy new or from one of the trusted sellers also.
For other brands that are not as faked I have bought from the forums I have only bought one watch on eBay and that one had their authenticity guarantee but I checked it out thoroughly myself.

I only buy preowned, be it watches or cars. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Anyway, I think any site is really game, including eBay or Chrono24. Granted, I just resolved a total fraud situation on Chrono24, but there were several red flags (and, several layers of protection). I’ve had many more great experiences on both sites, so as long as you ask the right questions, get sufficient documentation and the seller is responsive, you should make out well.

Similar for me. The only time I've bought new was to snag a new LE watch.

Care to share the details of your experience on C24 and how it was resolved?

This forum. Also Rolex Forum. I prefer to go to individuals, meaning individuals that you can fully verify. They tend to be less greedy. These are people who can connect you to their LinkedIn account and their drivers license and their phone number and can do video chat and it’s absolutely clear to you that they are who they actually are. Like a lawyer or physician. Someone with a career who you can expect is legit.

They also should be able to show you every single angle of every aspect of the watch and the materials come with it. You may want to stick to somebody who has been the original purchaser and the original purchase receipt has their name on it, too.

paul-thorpe-watch-dealer.jpg

Care to share the details of your experience on C24 and how it was resolved?
Sure. A seller offered a 16600 at a pretty low price. Seemed legit, so I countered a little lower and he accepted. I promptly paid through escrow. Waited for delivery. When the day arrived, it showed as delivered, but I received nothing. Turns out, seller likely just sent a letter to an address in my city, but not nearby. It ended up being received in a “parcel locker”. I got C24 involved. Seller was completely unresponsive. I initiated an investigation through the shipping company, USPS. They agreed that it could not have been a legitimate parcel. C24 wanted me to jump through some additional hoops for immediate credit. Given the obvious illegitimacy of the transaction, I countered with a strongly-worded demand email. They credited me back a couple of days later. I ended up getting an awesome 16600 delivered recently from Swiss Watch Time/Perpetualman88. IMG_7401.jpeg
Edited: