Forums Latest Members

Who do you use to service your vintage chrono's?

1. Tbone Dec 19, 2016

I just had some communication with Abel Court about servicing my new Lantern 349 based piece and he's uhh, a bit booked up. Like until later 2018 booked up. His work is second to none from what I hear with regards to restorations on highly valuable Heuers but who else is there do you go to for a good service and perhaps some lite sympathetic restoration work? I've heard Craig at Chronodeco is great. What about Andy at Ultra-Vintage? Suggestions would be super helpful.

2. Amadeus Dec 19, 2016

My dad :p
    But I guess not everyone's as lucky as me to have a watchmaker specialized in vintage watches for a father, have you tried with Christian Dannemann aka "WatchGuy"?

TheCaptainOfTech likes this.
  3. François Pépin Dec 20, 2016

Myself! (But I prefer servicing chronos than wearing them, so I do not have a lot of them...)

Depending on where you are based, you have several OF members that could service your watch (Archer, Horlogerie, etc.).

4. Edward53 Dec 20, 2016

Any suggestions for the UK? I'm searching for the right person to service my Breitling Top Time 810 and it's a decision I want to get right first time.

hermes4 likes this.
  5. BlueBoy Dec 20, 2016

First person to speak to in the U.K. Would be STS

hermes4 likes this.
  6. Edward53 Dec 20, 2016

Do they also handle non-Omega then? Er, scratch that, I'll call them myself and ask!

7. Maganator Dec 20, 2016

I sent a 1984 speedy to Ryte Time - they turned it around in 4 weeks and I was very happy with the result.

8. Just Livin Dec 20, 2016

STS (Swiss Time Services) also have a separate division called SwissTec. Both located in the same building. SwissTec focuses on 'other' non Omega high quality 'Swiss Brands'. But also if you ring them they will advise whether they can handle your watch.
    They are today sending me back an Enicar and an Omega. Also approx a 4 week turnaround for those 2.

hermes4 likes this.
  9. Edward53 Dec 20, 2016

Thanks @BlueBoy, @Maganator and @Just Livin. I've also had Michlmayr in Norwich recommended to me by another member via PM. Speedy (no pun intended) help much appreciated!

hermes4 likes this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 20, 2016

Whomever it is needs to have the ability to manufacture parts if needed. So I would look for the word "restoration" and check references and call of course. I'd say from all the glowing reviews that, the STS/Swiss Tech fits this bill but others will too.

11. hermes4 Jan 3, 2017

Anyone heard of watchguy?

https://watchguy.co.uk

I came across his website and I'm quite impressed with his work I.e. Photographs - but he's always so full!

Very informative blog as well... I'm just learning about the OM movement and the ETA debacle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited Jan 3, 2017
  12. Davidt Jan 3, 2017

13. hermes4 Jan 3, 2017

14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 3, 2017

In the UK Richard Askham also has a very good reputation (although I've never used him).
    http://thewatchspotblog.com/
    And Rob aka @Horlogerie, who's a member here and British Institute of Horology certified also has British clients sending him watches, although he's based in France.

hermes4 likes this.
  15. ulackfocus Jan 3, 2017

What vintage chronos? ;)

Syrte likes this.
  16. Sgt_Bilko Jan 4, 2017

There is a guy called Phil Connon at PJC Watches. I haven't used him personally, so I cannot give him a recommendation as such, however he told me on the phone once that he had previously worked as a watchmaker for Breitling, handling their services and repairs. He was briefly here in Cornwall, but then moved up to Essex if I recall correctly. He doesn't have an address or landline telephone on his website, which I find a bit strange. http://www.pjcwatches.co.uk/

Regarding the references above to Michlmayr, he is one of the very few watchmakers who I know will always send a watch back in excellent condition with no scratches. Michlmayr is extremely experienced with vintage watches.

Rocco at http://www.watchworks.co.uk is fantastic and Breitling certified, but he will no longer service anything vintage and only deals with modern watches. Worth a call just to check if he might do it, since I've only ever contacted him over Rolex and Omega.

Edited Jan 4, 2017
    hermes4 likes this.