Forums Latest Members

Seller Reviews on chrono24 - do you trust them?

1. pnwyankee Oct 25, 2019

If you find a watch you have been hunting for on chrono24 and the price seems fair - does a long list of positive reviews about completely transactions help to make you comfortable with the particular seller or is that a hackable process?
    Thanks

2. djmusicman Oct 25, 2019

Mmm watch dealers. I saw a Rolex GMT 1675 full set from 1976 (once I had the serial number it was actually from 1972) for sale today on chrono24. I messaged the seller who claimed he had just bought it from the wife of the original owner. Price was quite attractive at 15k.

Once I dug a little deeper I found that the dial was a mk4 and should have been a mk2. Bracelet was from 1983. Punched papers didn’t have a dealer stamp. Basically the whole set was put together and the story about acquiring it from the original owners wife almost certainly BS. The dealer to avoid for the record is Times Value in Frankfurt.

Henneth and pnwyankee like this.
  3. janw23 Oct 25, 2019

Not really. As long as they offer escrow and answer my inquiries with rigour, that is all that matters.

connieseamaster and WatchCor like this.
  4. Walrus Oct 25, 2019

I can’t make heads or tales of Chrono. When I picked up the 65 seamaster deville I looked on Chrono to check value and see them selling, in some cases, up to 1,500 or more. The Connie I picked up for a couple hundred is on there for 2k. Granted condition makes a difference in price but these seem very unrealistic prices. It makes Chrono a very difficult place to get an idea of prices.

5. asrnj77 Oct 26, 2019

The reviews are legit. You’ll see some that aren’t so pleasant as well. If you find a watch you like and the price is good for you I say go ahead. I think the more expensive the watch the more diligence required. Prices are usually high because they anticipate negotiation. You’ll see that the dealers who start at reasonable prices always sell quickly versus the overpriced models that sit for months. Make sure you factor in potential customs and shipping costs to ensure you’re actually getting a good deal. If it isn’t what you thought it was going to be it could cost you more to return it.

Larry S likes this.