Who are buying these vintage "Omega" watches?

Hi guys. I'm brand new here. I was actually looking at one of these on eBay earlier. What exactly is the issue with them please?
This watch and those like it are what we call fantasy redials. They are essentially cobbled together watches with refinished dials that have certain Omega like design elements, but are in no way genuine Omega. Assuming that you want to purchase an authentic original vintage Omega watch, run away from watches like these and keep your wallet tightly closed until you learn enough here to know what to purchase. Stick around.

Like 9
Very helpful thanks

Seriously, there's no such dial configuration. Normally with redials, they try to replicate the original. This one is just completely made-up.

Like 3
This watch and those like it are what we call fantasy redials. They are essentially cobbled together watches with refinished dials that have certain Omega like design elements, but are in no way genuine Omega. Assuming that you want to purchase an authentic original vintage Omega watch, run away from watches like these and keep your wallet tightly closed until you learn enough here to know what to purchase. Stick around.
Excellent. Thank you so much, I was beginning to think intelligence had deserted this thread. Nice to finally get a sensible, mature and knowledgeable answer instead of jibes and snarky childish nonsense. Very much appreciated

Hi guys. I'm brand new here. I was actually looking at one of these on eBay earlier. What exactly is the issue with them please?

Genuine vintage Omega watches with black dials are fairly uncommon and desirable. Doubly so with crosshairs.
This seller basically takes all the desirable elements of a range of vintage Omega dials, cobbles them together in one very poor quality repainted dial and hopes an uninformed person will pay a premium for it. Furthermore, the watches themselves are often very tired, with poor cases and worn out movements. I’d wager he buys knackered old, water damaged watches gets them working, repaints the dials and SEL’s for a healthy profit.
They’re junk.

Like 5
Excellent. Thank you so much, I was beginning to think intelligence had deserted this thread. Nice to finally get a sensible, mature and knowledgeable answer instead of jibes and snarky childish nonsense. Very much appreciated
You’ll learn a lot if you just stick around and read the threads and posts that appear here daily. Start with this: https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Like 3
Genuine vintage Omega watches with black dials are fairly uncommon and desirable. Doubly so with crosshairs.
This seller basically takes all the desirable elements of a range of vintage Omega dials, cobbles them together in one very poor quality repainted dial and hopes an uninformed person will pay a premium for it. Furthermore, the watches themselves are often very tired, with poor cases and worn out movements. I’d wager he buys knackered old, water damaged watches gets them working, repaints the dials and SEL’s for a healthy profit.
They’re junk.
Again, thank you for an interesting and educational reply, much obliged.

Don't take it to heart @Flying Carrot
Your first post is the type of thing members (who know what they are looking at ) might post if they were trying to be funny.
(but members also forget that you don't know what you don't know....)

As @gbesq says, stick around and find out what you like in Omega watches - and then you can learn what is right and wrong at a glance in Omega dials.

Like 6
Excellent, thanks for the link :cool:
Most importantly, share photos and the description of any prospective purchase here on OF for comment by more experienced members BEFORE you commit to a purchase. Note: this does NOT mean that we will do all the research and work for you, but we will help you to learn how to do it for yourself.

Like 3
Your first post is the type of thing members (who know what they are looking at ) might post if they were trying to be funny.

As @gbesq says, stick around and find out what you like in Omega watches - and then you can learn what is right and wrong at a glance in Omega dials.
Exactly. You took the words right out of my mouth - 'you don't know what you don't know' You also only know it because at some point someone either taught you it or you found out yourself by asking questions!

Most importantly, share photos and the description of any prospective purchase here on OF for comment by more experienced members BEFORE you commit to a purchase. Note: this does NOT mean that we will do all the research and work for you, but we will help you to learn how to do it for yourself.
Appreciated, thank you.

Exactly. You took the words right out of my mouth - 'you don't know what you don't know' You also only know it because at some point someone either taught you it or you found out yourself by asking questions!

I'll admit I thought Carrot was a member making a quick alter ego just to poke the group ... I obviously wasn't alone, that's why you got the smarta$$ responses to begin. If you stick around you will understand why after reading threads for a few weeks.

Like 2
This is the one that popped up on my eBay while I was looking at Breitlings. My son liked the look of it, needless to say he won't be having it thanks to you guys and your sound advice.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13499100...RblEOOHQaG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Yeah, that is a horrible watch.

When you do run across one you may consider buying don't just post the link, download the photos and post them for posterity. One of the things that make threads about potential watches to buy useful is having the pictures long after the link has expired.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Like 1

In your first reply in this thread, you ask “what is the issue” regarding this watch. There are so many “issues” with this POS, it wouldn’t be possible to list these issues. The scam artist that put that dial together tried too hard to incorporate Omega watch features to the extent the dial is waaaay overdone. It looks like the camel that was a horse designed by a committee!

Like 1

I have read some of the other comments and re read my comment . fair enough, I'm coming accross as being as snarky as "Flying carrot" so in all fairness I've edited this.
People are happy in general to help on this site. if you talk down to people they may not offer advice or help.
Edited: