Which Speedmaster with my Moonwatch?

What would you do?

I would like to have one special Speedmaster with my ”basic” Moonwatch Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005.
I’ve seen and experienced Apollo XVII, Speedy Tuesday and Ultraman... not for me. At the moment I have two options:
Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark side of the Moon or the Apollo XI 50th Anniversary Speedmaster, which is possibly two-tone version. This is something that I am not sure if I like (TT)... waiting for the pics.
Snoopy or Alaska would be also great, but just too expensive. And pre-owned special watches might be problematic.
I want to limit my Speedmasters in two, so which Speedmaster would you recommend next to my classic, The Moonwatch (current version) which I have?
Any Apollo 8 -owners?

Apollo 8 is very nice. A bit bigger than the Moonwatch though so may want to try on.

Have you considered a CK2998 or a 60th anniversary speedy? Both smaller but lovely. I’ve had both but only have the ck2998 now and love it.

I love the Apollo 8, two thumbs up 👍👍

Apollo 8 is very nice. A bit bigger than the Moonwatch though so may want to try on.

Have you considered a CK2998 or a 60th anniversary speedy? Both smaller but lovely. I’ve had both but only have the ck2998 now and love it.

Thanks for your thoughts!
I think I like the bigger size (I have one smaller GS)—I have the 60th Ann. Seamaster so maby too close... even though they might work well together!

Why not a FOIS? Same bezel so visually, same size.

Why not a FOIS? Same bezel so visually, same size.

Under 40mm; it’s smaller when comparing to this Moonwatch that I have and maby the steel version is too close to this visually... but: the gold version is visually interesting... but... it’s gold.

Depends what you are looking for. Are you into space-related watches for collection or more about aesthetics ?

I really dig commemorative watches and the first one I bought is the Apollo 11 40th.

acxvkn.jpg

Depends what you are looking for. Are you into space-related watches for collection or more about aesthetics ?

I really dig commemorative watches and the first one I bought is the Apollo 11 40th.

acxvkn.jpg

Great looking watch!

I am looking for Space-related watches—there are so many options to choose from.... so also visual elements are crucial.

Can't go wrong with the Apollo 11 35th Anniversary edition but then I am biased.

Can't go wrong with the Apollo 11 35th Anniversary edition but then I am biased.

That is a very stylish and unique Speedmaster!!

I also like what they did with the Apollo 11 20th anniversary, just the engraving on the side of the case "Apollo XI 1969" on a standard moonwatch...

I quite like the 3592 apollo 13. The colors match the aging tritium color.

Worth looking at the Apollo 8 DSOTM thread here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-dark-side-of-the-moon-apollo-8.81819/
Many opinions and some images of it on different straps.
I don't own one but tried it in the flesh and really like it but in the back of my mind there's a concern that the colour scheme (i.e. yellow contrasts on dial and strap) restricts in terms of what to wear with it, when to wear it. A poster on the above thread swapped to a strap of black cordura with black deployant and that makes it more versatile IMHO.

You can always decide after the Apollo XI 50th launch. Apollo 8 is not a limited edition (just throttled output) so I'm sure you'll still be able to order one then.

Worth looking at the Apollo 8 DSOTM thread here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-dark-side-of-the-moon-apollo-8.81819/
Many opinions and some images of it on different straps.
I don't own one but tried it in the flesh and really like it but in the back of my mind there's a concern that the colour scheme (i.e. yellow contrasts on dial and strap) restricts in terms of what to wear with it, when to wear it. A poster on the above thread swapped to a strap of black cordura with black deployant and that makes it more versatile IMHO.

You can always decide after the Apollo XI 50th launch. Apollo 8 is not a limited edition (just throttled output) so I'm sure you'll still be able to order one then.

Thanks!!

If Snoopy and Alaska are too expensive, you'll be shocked how much these cost and they don't come on the market often. The alternative is to modify a Speedy with a Mitsukoshi dial and handset but they are getting harder to source too.
Recent sale of genuine Mitsu on OF: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-professional-3570-31-mitsukoshi.91387/

Wow... This Mitsukoshi is also at that pricepoint—I missed that... I feel very uncomfortable paying that much for a steel Speedmaster.... I have some special PM watches and now I have boundaries for how many that expensive watches is reasonable to own in a collection.

Under 40mm; it’s smaller when comparing to this Moonwatch that I have and maby the steel version is too close to this visually... but: the gold version is visually interesting... but... it’s gold.

True that. But I feel they are also quite different. I own the FOIS and absolutely love it. It is a bit smaller but that together with the design in general makes it look more vintage and dressy if you know what I mean. The "regular" speedmaster looks more rugged and less dressy. I would not wear it with a suit for example, but the FOIS works great for that with a nice leather strap on. So depends what you will use it for and what else you keep in your watch box 😀