Which Speedmaster should I look for if…?

A friend convinced me that it was time to add a modern Omega to my few vintage pieces, so I got a Railmaster (which is great). Now, with my friend’s further advice, I want to get a Speedmaster too. That friend thought it would be possible to find a nice used one of some “type” around the USD$2000 point (looks so far, that might be $3K!). But which one should I look for? The odds are that this will end up being my only Speedy purchase.

My criteria are:
Black dial, no date, 3 sub-dials but no sub-dial at the top, black bezel, bracelet (7.25” wrist), I don’t care if it’s flight approved or not.

Extra “points” if not too expensive: hesalite, manual wind, the two dots surrounding the “12” marker

So far I’ve almost only been seeing the “reduced” noticeably under $3K. But even if a reduced (not ideal, but my budget may dictate it), I’m still trying to figure out which reference…

So, your specific reference number suggestions would be most appreciated (or, of course, if you have a fit for my search that you’d part with…….).

Thanks

If you want a “Professional” model (a/k/a the “Moonwatch”), you’re going to be hard pressed to find something decent at under 3k. Your best bet would be a 3570.50 in the 3.5 to 3.8k range. Personally, I would save more money and go for a 3590.50 as it has the tritium d[al and handset that the 3570.50 lacks, but it will cost you at least $500 more.
Edited:

Like 6
thanks. I did see a 3590.50 for about $4K, My question about the tritium is: won't it be past it's half-life and not glow at all? maybe that doesn't matter or maybe it just gives a non-glow nice look???

There may still be a faint glow in the dark, but certainly not as bright as when the watch was new. The reason to buy a watch with a tritium dial, though, is for the way that aged tritium appears during the day. It’s beautiful stuff.
upload_2024-6-20_13-53-12.jpeg

Like 6
Solid Reduced's can be had for ~$2-2.5k, especially out of Japan with the USD currently strong against the Yen, so if that is your budget, then I personally think the Reduced is a nice option, just as long as you view it on it's own terms and not as a Moonwatch "alternative".

But if you can stretch the budget a bit, you can find *decent* 3590.50's for ~$3.5k currently on Chrono24 out of Japan too, or if you're patient, better condition examples for around that here on OF: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-ref-3590-50.171661/

You mentioned one preference being a manual wind. That would rule out any of the 39mm/ reduced options, such as the 3510.50.

Like 1
But if you can stretch the budget a bit, you can find *decent* 3590.50's for ~$3.5k currently on Chrono24 out of Japan too, or if you're patient, better condition examples for around that here on OF: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-ref-3590-50.171661/

yes,I saw that one sold a month ago. I’m not in a hurry, so maybe I should/will improve my budget that much for something other than a reduced.

I’m still trying to figure out if my desire for a Speedy will be satisfied by a reduced.

You mentioned one preference being a manual wind. That would rule out any of the 39mm/ reduced options, such as the 3510.50.

I noted “extra points” for manual wind to acknowledge that if I went “reduced”, or some other references, it would be automatic. I just don’t think my budget will be able to get over $4K.

I am generally reluctant to say a person should or shouldn't do a thing, but I think it's fair to say you should try on both a full size manual wind speedmaster and a reduced size automatic speedmaster. There's only so much you can learn without trying one on. Same as driving a car.

Part of the allure and appeal of a speedmaster is the connection to NASA and the moon landings. For that reason alone,a full size manual wind speedmaster is the one you want. A reduced is a great watch but is generally for someone who already has a speedmaster. If you are only going to add one speedmaster to your collection, you go original gangster.

Like 6
Also a black mk40 aka triple date Speedmaster is alot of watch at a great price. Should be similar to a reduced but way more interesting and easier to service.

Like 2
Also a black mk40 aka triple date Speedmaster is alot of watch at a great price. Should be similar to a reduced but way more interesting and easier to service.

thanks, but… no date & no sub-dial at the top (12 o’clock) please.
p.s. not that tall, but a big guy.

Like 1
You are likely out of luck since I can't think of a single model that meets your criteria. It sounds like you want a Professional but only have 1/2 of the budget to get a nice one. You may need to compromise on your criteria and get a Reduced or Date or allocate more cash and get a Moonwatch. If you do decide to go down the Reduced route, read up on them first as they can have servicing limitations which mean that anecdotally more offered for sale need work than with the other models so evidence of health and/or recent work is vitally important. Unless you get it at a price that allows you to service it yourself that is.

Just buy the Omega Speedster Broad Arrow from 1999. Made by Omega to commemorate 30 years since Moonlanding. Original Moon movement. And many features from the first model from 1957. On steel band as well. This is one of the nicest versions, you can still buy 2. Hand. Best from Japanese dealers, much cheaper. Chrono24 gives you the security and Japanese are mostly meticulous. Win-Win. That's all you will ever need to scratch that itch. And very sturdy model for everyday use !Screenshot_2024-06-21-19-35-45-769_com.chrono24.mobile.jpg

Like 5
Just buy the Omega Speedster Broad Arrow from 1999. Made by Omega to commemorate 30 years since Moonlanding. Original Moon movement. And many features from the first model from 1957. On steel band as well. This is one of the nicest versions, you can still buy 2. Hand. Best from Japanese dealers, much cheaper. Chrono24 gives you the security and Japanese are mostly meticulous. Win-Win. That's all you will ever need to scratch that itch. And very sturdy model for everyday use !Screenshot_2024-06-21-19-35-45-769_com.chrono24.mobile.jpg
I was going to suggest that too, but black bezel was in the non-bonus-point criteria...

I was going to suggest that too, but black bezel was in the non-bonus-point criteria...
Can the bezel be swapped out for a Speedy Pro bezel? I’m sure the question has been answered many times.

Can the bezel be swapped out for a Speedy Pro bezel? I’m sure the question has been answered many times.

Sure. A 10 minute affair. And only a few 100 Dollares... The surplus steel bezel is easy to sell as well . I might buy it ...

Like 2
Sure. A 10 minute affair. And only a few 100 Dollares... The surplus steel bezel is easy to sell as well . I might buy it ...
For the OP, I would try to keep all your original watch parts in case you sell in the future...

Like 1
Just buy the Omega Speedster Broad Arrow from 1999. Made by Omega to commemorate 30 years since Moonlanding. Original Moon movement. And many features from the first model from 1957. On steel band as well. This is one of the nicest versions, you can still buy 2. Hand.

Thanks much. I thought that all Broad Arrows had a date since all the ones I’ve seen did. Maybe giving up on the idea of a black bezel should be the first of my compro.

For the OP, I would try to keep all your original watch parts in case you sell in the future...
I agree. That should apply in all situations of any change.

Like 1