Which Speedmaster should I look for if…?

Did anyone answer the question about servicing? I've taken my Omegas to Nesbits in Seattle. They're Omega authorized for service, so they can buy parts from Omega. They charge about $750 for service - about because it's been a few years since they serviced mine. This is ballpark what Omega charges, though Nesbit's gives you an extra year on the warranty. It's recommended to have each watch serviced every 4-5 years, and pressure tested more often than that. The "Reduced" you were thinking about is a more complicated movement and might cost more to service. There are certainly watchmakers who charge less, however other authorized service will probably be similar.

When I was looking for a Speedmaster I got a 145.022 made in 1971. I like the stepped dial, plus vintage ones were less than new even when you add in the cost of service.

…means I could buy a brand new Speedy Pro (e.g. a 310.30.42.50.01.001 is $7K at my friendly local AD…
I second what Erich said. No need to go this route. You can buy a barely worn example and save yourself a couple grand over retail.

Well, thanks to everyone’s suggestions & comments I decided to wait until a Speedy Pro came up… & one did!

I’m now the proud owner of a used, in very good condition & at a good price, 310.30.42.50.01.001

Yes, it was more than my initial budget (by a lot, to me), but I am VERY satisfied in not getting “less” just to satisfy my credit card. This is a nice hesalite, manual wind (co-axial which, although not like the original flown watches, is a nice touch), dot-over-90, etc. Y’all were right, & I thank you for guiding me this way.

Winding it was a bit scary, though, as I’m accustomed to movements which don’t “stop winding”, but this one stops firmly… like an old vintage watch where you know that you’ve broken it by accidentally overwinding it.

Well, thanks to everyone’s suggestions & comments I decided to wait until a Speedy Pro came up… & one did!

I’m now the proud owner of a used, in very good condition & at a good price, 310.30.42.50.01.001

Yes, it was more than my initial budget (by a lot, to me), but I am VERY satisfied in not getting “less” just to satisfy my credit card. This is a nice hesalite, manual wind (co-axial which, although not like the original flown watches, is a nice touch), dot-over-90, etc. Y’all were right, & I thank you for guiding me this way.

Winding it was a bit scary, though, as I’m accustomed to movements which don’t “stop winding”, but this one stops firmly… like an old vintage watch where you know that you’ve broken it by accidentally overwinding it.

Congratulations! That's definitely a keeper, for sure- and probably will be a wildly accurate mechanical watch.

The next step, of course, is to post some pictures. 😀 Welcome to the club and wear your speedy in health.

The next step, of course, is to post some pictures. 😀 Welcome to the club and wear your speedy in health.
sorry, got hung up with family issues… here’s a quick shot :
IMG_9681.jpeg
Hmmm… preview shows “view attachment”… no clue how to just have the image appear in-line.

And, it did show inline…

IMG_9683.jpeg