Forums Latest Members

Which is the best +/- 1000 EUR chronograph? Tissot/Junghans/Hamilton/...

1. RubenDhae Jan 8, 2021

Hi y'all

Since I'll be graduating next semester, I'm planning on getting my first expensive watch. I've been thinking about my watch set-up, and this is the idea that I have:

- I own a Dan Henry 1962 quartz watch, that I use with a nato strap. This is my reliable (hence quartz) watch that I use in situations such as traveling, partying, etc.

- I also own an Orient Bambino 36mm in gold trims. This is my dress watch. I plan to upgrade this to a +/- 36mm vintage omega later on, and will create a whole other thread about this in the future.

- I'm now looking to get an (automatic?) everyday chronograph, which I would use at work and other regular occasions. This would be my main driver, so I'm planning to invest some money in it.

I'm currenty looking at the following watches, so any opinions, red flags, experiences and such would be much appreciated! Other alternative suggestions are useful as well, ofcourse!

1) Tissot Heritage 1948
    upload_2021-1-8_20-54-17.png

2) Junghans Max Bill chronoscope

upload_2021-1-8_20-56-51.png

3) Hamilton intra-matic chronograph
    upload_2021-1-8_20-57-54.png

Please note that my regular clothing includes classic shirts and leather shoes. I also love to write with fountain pens, so I'm quite into the tasteful vintage kind-of-style!

I wouldn't mind buying used or from the grey market, if the condition is very nice and if it's reliable :)

Thanks, and best regards from Belgium!
    Ruben

Foo2rama and LesXL like this.
  2. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jan 8, 2021

I’m a huge fan of this beauty and I know of several others on here that are as well. This one gets my vote.
    29A06DE0-A643-4C99-9581-10995AEDC2B1.png

McKinley, Foo2rama, gostang9 and 2 others like this.
  3. time flies Jan 8, 2021

Plus one for the Hamilton.

have fun
    kfw

4. janice&fred Jan 8, 2021

They all look nice and I doubt there are any horror stories associated with any of them. It's gonna be your money so forget what we like :D

Dries, marco, cvalue13 and 1 other person like this.
  5. RubenDhae Jan 8, 2021

Thank you. I heard that some found it quite bulky (thick). Is that your opinion as well, or not at all? Much appreciated ;)

6. cvalue13 Jan 8, 2021

To say nothing of their quality, I’d note the Hamilton seems best positioned to both dress up and dress down

7. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jan 8, 2021

This is tricky. Everyone has a preference and I wouldn’t suggest buying a watch based on someone else’s experience with it. For me, I don’t mind the size of it at all. It’s going to be “thicker” purely because of the movement. If you have concerns on how you will enjoy any of these watches, I would suggest purchasing from a place that has a return policy, should you not like how it wears :thumbsup:

RubenDhae likes this.
  8. Vitezi Jan 8, 2021

I have a soft spot for the Tissot Heritage 1948. Here's what the tasteful vintage original looked like, circa 1945:
    chrono14k 1.jpg

janice&fred, marco, Robert M and 4 others like this.
  9. RubenDhae Jan 8, 2021

It looks so nice without that date window! Thanks for sharing

Vitezi likes this.
  10. gostang9 Jan 8, 2021

Congrats on the pending graduation. That's a big deal!

Personally, I'd give another :thumbsup: to the Hamilton.

Keep in mind, the researching, searching and decision making is a lot of fun. Enjoy the process and don't rush into buying something just to buy something.

I started into mechanical watches with a Tissot Visodate and Hamilton Jazzmaster. Both fun watches to wear and they were my daily's for a long time.

RubenDhae and cvalue13 like this.
  11. Shabbaz Jan 8, 2021

Wittnauer 3256

12. Jonathan40 Jan 8, 2021

Hi and congratulations on the imminent graduation.
    You need to feel if any one of them actually speak to you.
    You must put them in your hand and see if the physical impact of holding them matches the visual of seeing them in a window/web/magazine etc etc. I know this is difficult in current climate but your in no rush.
    I do love the Hamilton from the 3 shown.
    Certainly worth looking in the summer sales etc and maybe buy all 3 on a credit card and return the 2 that don’t cut it on the initial speed date :)
    Good luck with the choice and best of luck in your chosen career after graduation.

Regards
    Jon

13. jhross98 Jan 8, 2021

in this price range i cannot recommend baltic highly enough. either the bicompax or the new gmt. i have a dan henry that probably won't end up sticking. . IMO the baltics are in a different class

https___cdn.shopify.com_s_files_1_0012_9299_2583_products_Bicompax_Black_Face_Lion.png b.png

marco, alam and cvalue13 like this.
  14. LesXL Jan 8, 2021

Congrats on your upcoming graduation, fellow Belgian!

Out of the 3, the Junghans is for me the most elegant but less versatile.

I really like the Hamilton but the Panda one. Dial is best balanced/distributed to me.

But all in all, I like the Tissot best. I prefer the lugs better, the Tissot logo, the overall shape. I don't like the XII nor the date position...

Another option you could consider is the Yema Speedgraf x Klokkeriet
    Screenshot_20210108-230618.png

marco and RubenDhae like this.
  15. cvalue13 Jan 8, 2021

those gmts look gewd

16. jhross98 Jan 8, 2021

Love love love the new gmt. All the 2.0 baltics blow away the original versions.

I really have a mostly "investment grade" vintage collection and these get as much wrist time as anything I own. Just went away to the beach for 2 weeks and took one watch - the baltic gmt.

17. wagudc Jan 8, 2021

I think the Hamilton is the most true to vintage, Yema also very nice and true vintage racing feel, Junghans original, clean, and not trying to be vintage. I think the Tissot misses the mark not quite vintage, not quite modern . I don't like the Seagull movement in the Baltic, although it has a cool style.

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 8, 2021

Hamilton unless the Junghans speaks to you. Bauhaus style is not for everyone and takes a certain wardrobe to pull off. Otherwise that Hamilton is a great all around piece for almost anything.

wagudc likes this.
  19. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 8, 2021

[​IMG]

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 8, 2021

Naw casioak. image.jpg

eugeneandresson likes this.