Forums Latest Members

When a plan doesn't come together.

1. Stufflers Mom Oct 23, 2019

Several years ago I bought a black dial Breitling Superocean Steelfish 44mm, it was a great watch but I always felt that it was a bit heavy on the wrist and like many others watches it was eventually moved on.
    Roll forward a couple years and the chance came up to buy a 42mm SO with a silver dial and this was a lot better to wear albeit only two mm smaller, but this time the dial was the problem and I really wanted the same watch only with the blue dial version and subsequently the silver dial SO was sold on. P1120359.JPG for the last 4 years I've looked on and off for the blue dial version, there's always been plenty 44mm going around, but not many of the 42mm with this dial layout. Fast forward to the other day and I found one on watchfinder and payment was sent and the watch turned up today and while it looks like a cracking watch I seem to have lost the love for this design and it will be heading back, can't quite explain it, but that's this watch hobby for you.

P1200761.jpg

2. Canuck Oct 23, 2019

Fickle, fickle, fickle! I have never had a particular liking for Breitling, but the blue dial one is sharp.

percymon and Stufflers Mom like this.
  3. 03Hemi Oct 23, 2019

Love Breitlings myself. Gorgeous!

Hduck likes this.
  4. Bp1000 Oct 23, 2019

If you get into things, whatever they maybe, you invest time in something, you evolve with the hobby.

You get a new perspective on things, you learn and then looking back, what you thought was amazing, no longer isn't.

I have that problem with whisky.

JwRosenthal and percymon like this.
  5. Stufflers Mom Oct 23, 2019

I know what you are saying and I'm no leaning towards a PO deep black as a replacement as I sold my ti PO which I'm now starting to regret.

6. scapa Oct 23, 2019

That's a nice blue for sure -- hadn't seen that model in the smaller size before. Does seem a bit of a busy dial, though, and maybe the wait was simply too long. I had a similar experience with a Tudor that took over a year to arrive. By the time it finally showed up at the AD I'd lost interest in the design, and that was that.

7. percymon Oct 23, 2019

Breitling s blue dials always seem a good option , I prefer them to the black, and silver dials are just not my thing. My first ‘luxury’ watch was a Colt Chronograph automatic, blue dial that I bought in ca 1993 and still have today. I still love the dial etc, even though I now realise it’s not the best model out there by any means. It’s been ultra reliable too, but often I find it looks small compared to some of my other watches. At the time of purchase I worried it was too big lol!

8. JwRosenthal Oct 23, 2019

I’ve had the same thing happen, was once a big collector of something and just lose the taste for it. Sometimes my taste will come back full circle, sometimes it doesn’t. I loved my blue dialed Navitimer when I got it, wore it almost daily for about.l a year- then it just didn’t do it for me. I kept it in the drawer with my others, and it languished for years. Finally I was determined to weed out my collection and the Navi was one of the ones I was thinking about, but thought to take it off the bracelet and put it on a strap just for a day to see how it felt- I was smitten again. Sometimes just a simple strap change can make you feel differently. Now I give any watch I am ho-hum about a couple tries to see if I can bond with it- sometimes it doesn’t happen.

Pic added as this thread needs more Breitling pics
    9B75AE5B-9EA3-46F7-AE23-F1553839036F.jpeg

KeithS, omegaswisst, gostang9 and 2 others like this.
  9. PhilF Oct 23, 2019

Had several Brietlings years ago, none of them kept time well and those little screwed-on indices at 12-3-6-9 always snagged threads from any sweater I was wearing. I had a restored early Navitimer that I should have kept. Now I have a Speedmaster (Hesalite) and a Seamaster (Blue 42mm, both current, 2019) which are working well for me covering sport, casual and dress functions. Now I'd like to find a polished Seamaster quartz in blue, don't really know why. Also attracted to a Great White GMT, again, just a whim. Sometimes the reality of actual ownership doesn't live up to your expectations. Also went through the Submariner phase, that too passed. For some reason, Omegas have held my attention longer. Sometimes when you find your Grail, you find it's just a Carpenter's cup and sometimes that's ok.

Stufflers Mom and DaveK like this.
  10. JTridesbikes Oct 23, 2019

Have you considered Omega? ::stirthepot::

11. Jonathan40 Oct 23, 2019

How many times in your life has the chase been better than the get :)

12. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 23, 2019

13. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 23, 2019

Sounds like you realize you can't make a profit.
    Nothing new.

STANDY likes this.
  14. Lazy_Lightning Oct 23, 2019

I like vintage breitlings a lot, however, many of their newer models just don’t do it for me.

235415DD-4CBA-492B-954E-3D91117B4E33.jpeg
    Hduck and JwRosenthal like this.
  15. Stufflers Mom Oct 23, 2019

If it's profit you are after then Breitling is not the brand for you.

16. stevec14 Oct 23, 2019

There is nothing wrong with that. Everyone’s tastes and wants change over time. Good you had a change to try before buying.

My tastes change approx every 3 months. That’s why apart from the 16710 nothing seems to last a huge amount of time (the Apollo 8 is making a good fist of it)

Stufflers Mom likes this.
  17. Stufflers Mom Oct 24, 2019

As an update Watchfinder will collect the watch tomorrow and a refund should be processed in due course, so with this in mind I went out today to track down a replacement and the range of options was varied to say the least.
    First up was a Doxa Sub 300 Caribbean, next was the all black titanium spring drive Seiko Prospex LX diver (very nice) up next was the Omega PO Deep black, but after trying it on again I felt it was just too big.
    Next was the usual trip to see empty spaces where Rolex Professional watches should be and to enquire at both local AD's if there was a possibility of what is a near entry level Rolex, the humble DJ41, no chance at both dealers and they had no idea when the next one would arrive.
    Last chance saloon was the pre-owned Rolex store and I climbed the four flights of stairs up to the showroom only to find nothing to my taste on display, but the manager asked if I was looking for something in particular and I mentioned that I would really like a 41mm steel DJ with a blue dial and he had DJ2 in the safe and shortly after it was on my wrist. I would still like the newer DJ41 with the jubilee bracelet, but until one of these turns up this one will do nicely.
    DJ2 1.jpg

18. JwRosenthal Oct 24, 2019

Yeah- would take that over that Breitling any day. Frankly, of all you mentioned, I think what’s in your wrist there is the most versitile and visually striking. It’s elegant and timeless, but the blue makes it whimisal as well. That would also look stunning on tan leather. A jubilee can be had on the used market, the oyster in a DJ is classic.

19. Hduck Oct 24, 2019

I've been considering the re-release of that vintage one on the right. The original Navitimer. Some would consider it busy but I actually use the stuff for flying

20. Stufflers Mom Oct 24, 2019

Are you saying that there is a jubilee bracelet that might fit the DJ2? If so I may well be interested.