What's a reasonable price for this 166.071

Hello people of the OF.

This pretty much mint Memomatic has come up for sale where I live and I was wondering what you'd consider a reasonable price, as the seller is open to offers.

The seller is reputable, the watch has been serviced in the last 2 years, and I have the opportunity to view the watch before buying so there's not much risk. The only thing is that I've never seen one of these in such good condition so it's hard to say what a reasonable price would be.

On Chrono24 and other auctions these time pieces are going for anything from $1000 USD all the way up to $5000 USD (which is classic Chrono24 numbers and hard to use as a reference).

Would any of you be willing to offer advice on what you think this beauty should be sold for and anything I need to be aware of when purchasing over it these.

Thanks in advance.

Like 2
No clue, but post what the dealer is asking and maybe someone can give you a fair answer.

also. Check EBay’s completed auctions to see what similar models sell for

My gut says the case and bracelet have been refinished...is there any mention of this from the seller?

Like 1
Quoted member DON
No clue, but post what the dealer is asking and maybe someone can give you a fair answer.

also. Check EBay’s completed auctions to see what similar models sell for

Thanks @DON and @X350 XJR he's asking for me to make an offer, so I guess until I start that process I won't really know where he stands.

I might go and check it out in person today, and suss him out.

As I wrote in the above post, I've already checked other prices online and they're all over the show... I also haven't seen one in this kind of condition, so I'm finding it very hard to make a judgment call on what to offer without irritating the guy with some absurd number.

I was thinking around $2200 USD would be fair...

I would tell him that the experts think its refinished and offer half of that to start. Maybe you get lucky.

Like 1
My gut says the case and bracelet have been refinished...is there any mention of this from the seller?

No, there's no mention of refinishing, what makes you think it's refinished?

No, there's no mention of refinishing, what makes you think it's refinished?

Because a watch that big managed to avoid getting scratched or scuffed in all these years is rare

Offer $1600. Ebay one with a similar dial and different case sold for that, You can always go up, but can never go down

Like 1
OK, went to check it out. It's definitely a very striking watch in the flesh. The dial is exceptional, as if it's never seen the light of day. The orange dial highlights are almost fluorescent orange, the photos above don't do the watch justice.

I asked him about the case and he said that he hadn't refinished it but that it definitely had had some work done on it, albeit very tastefully and subtly done... so great spotting @X350 XJR

He wants $3300 USD so I had to walk away but it was lovely to see the dial in real life... it was something quite special.

Oh well, thanks for all your help, you are all very generous with your time and advice.

Like 2
Ah, one thing I forgot to mention in respects to the case finishing issue was that it took concerted effort to see the case finishing even in real life and if @X350 XJR hadn't mentioned it I would have totally overlooked it but once you did see it it was hard not to see.

The lugs gave it away more than anything with two of the lugs being distinctly uneven (see photo) and the corners where the lugs met the outer case having small lumps where the dremel obviously couldn't meet accurately enough.

Again, you live and learn... and it's always best to check here first. Thank you

Like 2