What watch started it all!!!..And do you still have it?

I’ve been collecting watches for about 15 years now, and I remember being little having Spider-Man watches Rugrats even going to school with a Calculator watch but that wasn’t what started my watch journey as I got older I love having something on my wrist feeling important every time I wore one. first watch I personally ever bought was a Timex expedition And I still have it.I’ve gone through 60 to 70 watches ranging from cheapos to really expensive ones but this is the watch that has never left my collection and never will. It always brings me back when I wear it or see it to the day i bought it. It was my first time being a man I bought my first watch myself and that’s what started the collection.

share the story and pictures of where you started.

For me it was an Ironman (c. 1987), and it’s long gone, sadly, though I occasionally eye them on eBay.

My dad (who passed in 2016) gave me a Luminox, which my wife hated and I stupidly sold—regretting that is what actually got me into the hobby per se.

And it was a black technical dial 135.011 (c. 1965) that got me into Omega specifically. Loved it but it always felt just a tad too precious to me for everyday wear; it went to wannabuyawatch for about what I paid, and I’m pretty sure they flipped it very quickly. I sometimes wish I’d kept it, but what I really wish is that they’d issue a master coax version of it (maybe as part of the AT or DeVille line) in 39mm…

I’ve been collecting watches for about 15 years now, and I remember being little having Spider-Man watches Rugrats even going to school with a Calculator watch but that wasn’t what started my watch journey as I got older I love having something on my wrist feeling important every time I wore one. first watch I personally ever bought was a Timex expedition And I still have it.I’ve gone through 60 to 70 watches ranging from cheapos to really expensive ones but this is the watch that has never left my collection and never will. It always brings me back when I wear it or see it to the day i bought it. It was my first time being a man I bought my first watch myself and that’s what started the collection.

share the story and pictures of where you started.

I bought the very same watch when I started buying/collecting watches. I really loved the nubuck strap.

And, yes, I still have it.

I bought the very same watch when I started buying/collecting watches. I really loved the nubuck strap.

And, yes, I still have it.
Me too I have moved up to more luxury watches but I do always love wearing it from time to time. And that’s what the love of watches is all about. It’s not about the cost of it but the meaning of your watch.

I’ve got mine. Got this in Lucerne when I was about 12 years old on my first trip to Europe. Also got a giant Swiss Army knife that I still have. The youth orchestra I was in used to do these trips and play concerts all over. This was the very first trip.

91CE1FE2-DBF3-4C49-88B8-79372313B524.jpeg

What’s the story behind it how did you get it.

First eBay purchase, first vintage watch purchase, dumb luck I suppose.

How’s the accuracy tho

COSC'ish... +6hrs/-8hrs depending on the weather. Similar to Seiko.

Still have it and will most likely never part with it…
6F953AB1-E28F-4DED-9A84-A81B59E3E89D.jpeg
My great uncle’s CK 2414

I had plenty of watches as a kid, Timex and Bulova, but none of them made it to my "adulthood". My wife gifted me a nice Citizen Eco-Drive for Christmas early in our engagement, which I still have, but I don't consider that the collection starter.
A family trip to Switzerland (my wife is Swiss and has plenty of family to visit there) in 2012 resulted in lots of window shopping, and the purchase of this Hamilton in Lugano started my deep trip down the rabbit hole. It also resulted in meeting a fellow watch enthusiast back home, eventually leading to establishing a local watch group which just celebrated our 10th Anniversary in Nov 2022. I consider it the watch that "started it all"
2020-04-15 12.20.54.jpg

For me it was the case that I really dreamt of a „small golden, mechanical watch with a curved glass“.
When we were on a trip in Zurich we entered a small shop and I told what I was searching for. 100 CHF later I got this:
67CFE4C5-0E25-4D20-A20D-CD0771365296.png
I still consider it as the best watch-related buying-experience due to the direct availability, no waiting for a service etc.

I wore it daily for a few years, it is still running strong and will always have a place in my box as it made me fall in love with the sound of a mechanical watch.

For me it was the case that I really dreamt of a „small golden, mechanical watch with a curved glass“.
When we were on a trip in Zurich we entered a small shop and I told what I was searching for. 100 CHF later I got this:

I still consider it as the best watch-related buying-experience due to the direct availability, no waiting for a service etc.

I wore it daily for a few years, it is still running strong and will always have a place in my box as it made me fall in love with the sound of a mechanical watch.
Reminds me of one of my early watches. Liked it so much, I got it replated.
new.jpg