Forums Latest Members

What should I do if I lose a watch?

1. OllieOnTheRocks Sep 23, 2020

Okay guys so I appear to have mislaid or lost (god-forbid) one of my favourite watches.

It usually belongs in its box in one of my drawers but I went to it yesterday and it was empty.

I last remember having the watch 2 weeks ago because I fitted a new strap and took some photos on my phone.

Now I’m assuming I must have for some reason taken it off and put it down somewhere, although after a short search of the house I haven’t found it yet.

What steps would you suggest I take in this scenario?

This is understandably quite stressful as not only is it one of my favourites and has some sentimental value but is also not a cheap watch by any means.

Perhaps some of you have found yourself in a similar situation in the past?

Here’s a picture just in case I have lost it and someone has found it and posts it for sale online... it’s a 36mm Omega Geneve 2904. 76AFA7F0-B018-4F53-A462-C620A69E0353.jpeg

2. janice&fred Sep 23, 2020

Check your car and chair cushions, as well as pockets in whatever clothes you wore during that time period. Also sometimes I take off a watch when I'm ready to do some sort of work with my hands and set it down in dumb places. Good luck.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 23, 2020

Had a mate find a treasure trove of lost stuff in a Speaker that was placed there by he’s lovely kids. Money, keys, jewellery and several crusts from sandwiches over time.

Lost for months inside the hole to nowhere (not the actual speaker but you get the drift)

9CECF741-B44D-4E98-A516-E18ED6ABB486.jpeg

DaveK and OllieOnTheRocks like this.
  4. gbesq Sep 23, 2020

When I lost something as a kid, my grandmother would always say "Find it with your mind." That was good advice. Try to retrace your steps from the last moment when you KNEW that you were wearing it. Where did you go, what did you do? Think about all of those events and when and where you might have removed the watch from your wrist even for a moment. It's somewhere along that trail. Very nice watch by the way. Hope you find it.

marco, apsm100, watch3s and 4 others like this.
  5. Capt Cave Man Sep 23, 2020

As per above, grab a coffee and have a think about your movements leading up to when you knew you were wearing it and steps after.

The old saying, its in the last place you left it doesn't help at the moment but when it comes to you, hopefully you will simply sigh in relief and place it back in it's box.

Edited Sep 23, 2020
  6. kippyk Sep 23, 2020

Sometimes, when something odd happens to you, you will change your normal routine and do something out of character. For example, the doorbell rings when you weren't expecting it, you receive a stressful phone call, or you hear a strange noise in another room. You might place the watch in a weird place to take care of the situation, and then not remember even doing it. Try to remember anything out-of-the ordinary that happedned in the past two weeks and remember where you were at the time and that may help.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 23, 2020

I have three MontBlanc pens. All have been “lost forever” until they weren’t. You were going out and didn’t want to leave it on dresser? Did you put it in a shirt pocket, a shoe or someplace inconspicuous? Were you washing dishes and parked it in the mail basket?

marco, watch3s, Benbradstock and 4 others like this.
  8. Dan S Sep 23, 2020

I know it's easy for me to say, but the odds are overwhelming that it will show up eventually. Probably something got moved on top of it and it's hiding.

marco, watch3s, Benbradstock and 3 others like this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 23, 2020

I would go through all pockets including those in laundry Bastet before your watch gets an unwanted bath.

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 23, 2020

Found a watch that spent 2 years in the draw that holds the placemats. Someone put it there when they set the table because I left it on the table. ::facepalm2::

11. inchpincher Has your missing inches Sep 23, 2020

At this point I’d be sitting my four year old down and starting the Spanish Inquisition.

Mine tend to end up on a bookshelf, I think initially because it’s out of reach of sticky fingers but then I forget and rediscover it when I go to put another one in the same spot.

Good luck with the hunt.

Benbradstock and OllieOnTheRocks like this.
  12. gbesq Sep 23, 2020

Oh no, it's back. [​IMG]
    May God help us all.

13. RonJ Sep 23, 2020

Sorry you can't find your watch.
    It's a little crazy, but I'll share with you an idea to consider trying.

If you study hypnosis, you'll learn that we all have two areas of the brain that operate somewhat independent of the other.
    Think of it like having two computer CPU's inside your brain.
    You have a part that is fully conscious where you have your internal dialogue and you think it is the entire brain.
    But you also have this background processor, some people call it the "animal brain", that also sees and hears everything you do.

If you put yourself into a relaxed state, sometimes you can get your "animal brain" to communicate with your "conscious brain".
    Try to meditate and repeatedly ask yourself where you put your watch.
    You might be surprised it's location might just "pop into your brain".

If you're interested in this topic, get a book on self-hypnosis.
    Interesting stuff that is based on actual science.

asrnj77, Engee, STANDY and 1 other person like this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 23, 2020

Surprised no one has suggested the obvious...buy another watch! :)

steelfish, jacgul, apsm100 and 4 others like this.
  15. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 23, 2020

Buy another identical watch. The day the new watch shows up, you will find your old one. Guaranteed.

jacgul, Farmer, noelekal and 4 others like this.
  16. w@tcher Sep 23, 2020

You could also think if you had any visitor the specific day...

I know i have in my mind the worst case scenario, but some times people are able to envy others and valued items...

OllieOnTheRocks and Larry S like this.
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 23, 2020

Al ... that’s why I have three MB pens!

18. OllieOnTheRocks Sep 23, 2020

I appreciate all these comments! I’ll have to keep thinking... I do have insurance to cover items on my person, not sure if this will include a watch.. but it might be worth me seeing. Do you think I should go down that route?

19. OllieOnTheRocks Sep 23, 2020

This is most probably exactly what happened, my fear is that I put it in a back pocket or something and it’s fallen out somewhere!

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 23, 2020

Look again my mother always said.

Short search of the house, needs to be a good long search of the house.

OllieOnTheRocks and Benbradstock like this.