What model can this be? Worth buying?

I found this online at around 500 euros, but I have no clue as to what model Omega this is - it is dated to 1951. Does anyone know? On the first photo the '6' looks somewhat lighter in colour, but the other photos seem to be OK.
It was serviced this year and seems to be in good working order. Not sure about the dail (refinished?), but what are your thoughts? Thanks so much!

The dial is refinished and the case heavily polished, look for a better example!

Thanks! I suspected it to be, but to be honest I'm not that fanatic. Just good to know. Considering that, would you consider it to be a good value?

Thanks! I suspected it to be, but to be honest I'm not that fanatic. Just good to know. Considering that, would you consider it to be a good value?

No, not at all.

Fanatic or not, for 500EUR you can find original examples so I cant see any real reason to buy this one.

So the answear is no, this is far from good value!

Well, case is trashed and dial badly repainted, so it is worth the movement only. In general, movements in such watches are not in great shape either. I bet the omega buckle is fake. Worth 50-100eur for spare parts maybe? 500 makes no sense.

I'm not so dismissive. You could easily spend £500 on a microbrand watch using a miyota movement assembled in Hong Kong these days. Here you have an attractive watch with Swiss mechanicals. True if you decided to sell you might drop a few quid but it won't be catastrophic. I would say the average "layman" would simply think nice watch if they spotted it on your wrist.

Well, case is trashed and dial badly repainted, so it is worth the movement only. In general, movements in such watches are not in great shape either. I bet the omega buckle is fake. Worth 50-100eur for spare parts maybe? 500 makes no sense.
I appreciate your comment, but how can you tell the case is trashed? It looks polished, but trashed? The dail I figured it was repainted, but badly? How can you tell? I am much interested.

I'm not so dismissive. You could easily spend £500 on a microbrand watch using a miyota movement assembled in Hong Kong these days. Here you have an attractive watch with Swiss mechanicals. True if you decided to sell you might drop a few quid but it won't be catastrophic. I would say the average "layman" would simply think nice watch if they spotted it on your wrist.
Thanks for your reply. I do not buy this for resell, investment or to gain compliments. I like the looks of it, the mechanics, the fact it is an Omega, a smaller model (I have smaller wrists) and that it is in perfect working order. The buyer, a professional watch maker, tells me it runs within the Omega-'standard' of -/+ 5 seconds a day.

What the average "layman" think is a nice watch on your wrist does not equal the marketvalue of a watch. I can't say exactly what this kind of example is worth since I don't follow prices for bad refinished Omegas but 500EUR is way off thats for sure.

If @Beequeen likes to watch and is comfortable with the asking price I see no problem with him buying and wearing it, but one can't argue with the fact that its 1: overpriced and 2: an example undsired to most vintage watch buyers and enthusiasts.

Thanks for your reply. I do not buy this for resell, investment or to gain compliments. I like the looks of it, the mechanics, the fact it is an Omega, a smaller model (I have smaller wrists) and that it is in perfect working order. The buyer, a professional watch maker, tells me it runs within the Omega-'standard' of -/+ 5 seconds a day.

If you like the look of it then and it will make you happy buy it. At least now you are going into the sale with your eyes open and you know what you'd be getting. Maybe you could haggle a bit and get it for £450. Some people love originality, original dials, sharp cases etc. That is great as those people generally have all the knowledge and really know their stuff. I have noticed though that unmolested examples rarely fetch less than 600-700 now so while still possible to get an Omega for £500 in original condition it's not common. I say this after looking at the completed sales page on ebay over the last month.

@hejsam is correct. A watch in this type of condition does not command the premium that would be attached to a collectible piece. If the OP likes it, they should buy it with the knowledge that the market value is probably half of the asking price, or less.

What the average "layman" think is a nice watch on your wrist does not equal the marketvalue of a watch. I can't say exactly what this kind of example is worth since I don't follow prices for bad refinished Omegas but 500EUR is way off thats for sure.

If @Beequeen likes to watch and is comfortable with the asking price I see no problem with him buying and wearing it, but one can't argue with the fact that its 1: overpriced and 2: an example undsired to most vintage watch buyers and enthusiasts.

I do follow the prices of badly finished Omegas. I have a bit of an interest in this of late as I have bought a redial. At auction for £200. I was concerned I'd been had but on watching ebay I routinely see watches with awful redial fetch quite a bit more. Some are listed without the redial being disclosed too.

Just a recent example. This went for £485. The seller did disclose the redial here.

I do follow the prices of badly finished Omegas. I have a bit of an interest in this of late as I have bought a redial. At auction for £200. I was concerned I'd been had but on watching ebay I routinely see watches with awful redial fetch quite a bit more. Some are listed without the redial being disclosed too.
Your purchase at £200 is probably closer to the real marketvalue of a refinished Omega with bad case, but you are saying that these regularly sells for 500EUR on Ebay?

That is very odd since original examples sells for around 500EUR in decent condition and a couple hundred more in very good condition.

But as stated before I do not follow these bad examples so I may be wrong about the value on them.

Yes, as I said, the actual market price is less than half of the OP asking price, which is confirmed by your auction purchase. People can ask any price they want on eBay, but if people are fooled into overpaying for undisclosed redials, that is simply fraud, not evidence of actual value.

I am as surprised as you are but I have even seen redials in the most obscene colours fetch between 300-450. It's rare that anything with the Omega name goes for less than £300 now. I have bought my seamaster from a local auction house that has less exposure than " the bay" but if it was on ebay I feel it would have been costlier.

Th
Yes, as I said, the actual market price is less than half of the OP asking price, which is confirmed by your auction purchase. People can ask any price they want on eBay, but if people are fooled into overpaying for undisclosed redials, that is simply fraud, not evidence of actual value.

That's the interesting thing. It was disclosed as a redial. Almost as a statement of pride. Nobody got fooled on that particular watch. Numerous people wanted a clean overpolished watch. A number of bids were made and it went for £485.

If you like the look of it then and it will make you happy buy it. At least now you are going into the sale with your eyes open and you know what you'd be getting. Maybe you could haggle a bit and get it for £450. Some people love originality, original dials, sharp cases etc. That is great as those people generally have all the knowledge and really know their stuff. I have noticed though that unmolested examples rarely fetch less than 600-700 now so while still possible to get an Omega for £500 in original condition it's not common. I say this after looking at the completed sales page on ebay over the last month.

I agree.

I have a couple of bumpers and have been looking out for another. Like @Beequeen, I also have small wrists. Unlike @Beequeen, I’d prefer an original watch but only because I’d like it to have some chance of holding its value.

However, my primary concern is that the watch looks good and this one does. If it works out for @Beequeen he'll get a lot of pleasure from it and can always sell on if he doesn’t. Like as not he'll get the bug we all have and start looking for better examples.

I think the price €500/£427 is pretty competitive for the watch. I’ve appreciated that @hejsam and @Dan S both appear to have access to watch sellers I’ve not come across because a quick Google on eBay and Chrono24 don’t have anything that looks as nice at anywhere near the price quoted.