Forums Latest Members

Genuine Omega watch ? What model/year might this be ?

1. watchless Nov 16, 2016

Greetings, dear watch enthusiasts. This is my first post on here and even though I very much appreciate fine things and good craftsmanship in general, I am very much the noob when it comes to watches (as my user name might imply,) let alone Omega watches, and I'm always amazed by and thankful for all these awesomely dedicated communities sprinkled over the internet.

Having searched the Omega website extensively but found no vintage model that seems to match, as well as googled away every possible keyword, also in vain, I thought I would ask you gents about this.

This watch has been in my family for some time now, and if stories add up, it would have to have been bought in the early 50s at the very latest (though it could very well be older.) It belonged to my grandfather, even though I do get a sense, looking at other Omega watches, that this might not be your typical men's watch (not that I would call it feminine-looking either ; certainly looks and feels all right on the wrist as far as I'm concerned, but what do I know.) According to the inscription underneath, it would be 18 karats (MLB are just my grandpa's initials). As far as I know, this watch was most likely bought in a Brazilian jewellery shop (if that helps at all.) Anyone ever seen such a watch ? Any lights shed appreciated ! (apologies for somewhat shaky shots)

View attachment 306681 View attachment 306682 IMG_20161023_212716.jpg IMG_20161023_213200.jpg IMG_20161023_212540.jpg IMG_20161023_212758.jpg IMG_20161023_213110.jpg IMG_20161023_212906.jpg

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 16, 2016

I think your watch is from the 1940's. Looks like the dial was repainted many years ago.

It could have a Brazilian made gold case. It was very common back then to import steel cased watches to South America and swap the cases to gold in order to save on customs duties.

We would need to see pictures of the movement and inside of the case to give you any other information.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Foo2rama likes this.