Forums Latest Members

What is your opinion on Patek 5235G and 5320G?

1. FSG Nov 8, 2023

Hi all,

am considering trading a few pieces am not wearing in order to enter the Patek family… which is a grail for me for many years…
    Am currently looking at both 5235G-001 and 5320G-011 models. Am far from an expert Patek in general, hence what is your opinion on both of them?

2. FSG Nov 8, 2023

Not my pictures that will help illustrate what models we are talking about.

IMG_1190.jpeg IMG_1191.jpeg
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 8, 2023

Unfortunately, neither one is acceptable. :D

FSG likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 8, 2023

Honestly … If you have the cash and really love these watches, why do you care what we think? Personally i find the Salmon more interesting. That said, there are plenty of fine watchmakers who produce similar designs for far less cash.

FSG likes this.
  5. calalum Nov 8, 2023

I had to google the price to see what you were talking about. Sounds like a lot, but what do I know. As for your question, just from an aesthetic POV, the first one does nothing for me and the second one is stunning, but that is just my taste. At that price point I too would look elsewhere. But I also understand the allure of a PP and what it means. Good luck either way.

FSG likes this.
  6. FSG Nov 8, 2023

As stated am far from an expert on Patek… and given the amount of cash (or watches to trade) needed, I’d rather get as much information as possible before possibly pulling the trigger…
    For instance I heard there were production issues on the 5235, could mean it requires regular servicing etc.

7. NGO1 Nov 8, 2023

Perpetual calendar on a salmon dial is the ultimate Patek. It’s the only watch one needs. I’d say trade away. I’m also flirting with a 30 to 3 paring down upgrade.

FSG likes this.
  8. Evitzee Nov 8, 2023

I could never warm up to a regulator dial, they are hard to read at a glance, and a perpetual calendar beats an annual calendar every time. So between those two watches the 5320 wins hands down. I get the allure of a Patek Philippe, I've been there (had my first in 1979) but in my very humble opinion they are not the same company now compared to their glory days (pre-1985). Once they became a grail watch, courtesy of masterful campaigning and buying/selling in the auction market for their vintage masterpieces which drove prices up along with their public image, the design, quality and customer service just isn't at the top anymore. Again, that's just one man's opinion. At their price point there are just better options if you are looking at raw quality and not image. Look at some neo-vintage pieces made by Breguet, Daniel Roth, Audemars Piguet, Roger Dubuis, Gerald Genta and others in the 1980's and 90's, super quality and still priced somewhat reasonably. If it has to be a Patek Philippe, and I get the draw, pick the one that hits your sweet spot and enjoy it.

Zman4eva, FSG and Eve like this.
  9. timjohn Nov 8, 2023

I'm never going to be able to afford either.

The salmon dial is fabulous, but the numerals look like they either lost interest mid-way through the design process or couldn't manage to create a crisp font... The difference in thickness would get up my nose after a while
    Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 10.33.08.png Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 10.32.57.png Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 10.32.47.png

FSG and krogerfoot like this.
  10. Aroxx Sets his watch Nov 8, 2023

That salmon dial perpetual calendar is the one. Classic beautiful design. The other one doesn’t do anything for me.

FSG likes this.
  11. FSG Nov 9, 2023

I agree the perpetual calendar complication is just a collector’s dream.
    On the other hand the regulator has the most interesting movement and a lower price-point.

Ron_W likes this.
  12. Ogion Nov 9, 2023

I think Patek is a grail for many. Congrats if you acquire one. The salmon dial Patek has always been my ‘go to’ in their line as I think it looks very classy in a suit and smart casual. The Breitling Datora Salmon is similar but thicker and the dial isn’t as refined ( which given the price difference is to be expected). I mention this only as this is more in my price range!

I hadn’t seen the first before your post and now really like it! I also haven’t seen any comparisons to it either. It’s a tough decision.

13. FSG Nov 9, 2023

The 5235 is something of an odd animal… :) hate or love… but it is def an original piece.

both models also feature different combos: rose gold for 5235 and opaline dial for 5230… but I think the ones listed above are the best versions.

14. FSG Nov 9, 2023

And I agree, PP is as much a statement piece as an overpriced piece of bullshit… but it is still a grail for many, me included. There is a sense of achievement in being able to get one at some point (which was unthinkable not so long ago when I started collecting watches…) and I might get disappointed in the long term… but that’s part of the journey ;)

15. NT931 Nov 9, 2023

The salmon 5320G QP would be the preferred one for me between the two.

But as many have said, there are other QP options out there. Personally, if I ever had the money to buy a new 5320G, I'd get a 3940G instead - somehow the classic QP layout appeals to me more, and the 3940 dial looks more balanced vs the 5320 dial.

16. Evitzee Nov 9, 2023

That's ok because you never will really own that Patek, you are just a caretaker for the next owner.

Larry S and Shabbaz like this.
  17. FSG Nov 9, 2023

Ah ah ah true that! :p

18. jspdl Nov 9, 2023

The salmon perpetual is 100!

19. Ron_W Nov 9, 2023

A perpetual is more of a normal Patek to me, and this combination of applied numerals on the harsh Slamon colour is the least attractive of PAtek`s perpetuals. There are much nicer one`s if perpetual must be it. Even with other brands as mentioned above.
    That 5235 is much more special in regulator lay-out and with the added anual calendar, a unique combination. Much more special.

FSG and jspdl like this.
  20. Hetcins1 Nov 9, 2023

I like the dial design of the salmon dial patek but unfortunately not the salmon colour.