Forums Latest Members

What is your opinion of this 752 cal. Seamaster watch?

1. Sereya Yorn Sep 21, 2011

You who are knowledgable,

I came across this omega watch, link. There is little information on the site. Emailed them, they tell me its a 752 cal. solid 14k gold. I looked up the watch on the omega website; 14k gold only available as gold cap. However, the jeweler has not opened the watch to see the caseback so he does not know for sure and he has not scratched the case to find out. Is he trying to pull a fast one? Is this watch even real? If it turns out to be the 14k gold cap, what is your opinion of its true value? I thank you for your help in this matter.

C.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 21, 2011

This thread has a golden Seamaster Day-Date on bracelet, so such a thing does exist, but its the chronometer rated version. I honestly don't know these pieces, but a few of the vintage experts on here do, all I know is if a jeweller doesn't want to open the caseback to tell you whether its solid gold or not, I wouldn't be buying from him.

3. Sereya Yorn Sep 21, 2011

Thanks, yeah I read that one. Interesting stuff. I just starting to research this. I came across thisPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network on ebay, the 14k capped version. I was unsure at first as to what 'cap' means but then I see that. So, cap means the top of the case is layered with gold right? but one could see the stratification on its side. The watch in question, looks gold all the way around. Could it be gold plate instead? Now, the omega website does state that there are 18k solid gold 752s. Could this be one? Could you link me to images of the 752 in solid 18k, it would be interesting to compare.

Another interesting note: I came across an old catalog online that shows a similar watch at 9kt. 9kt are usually British watches, however, the day-date is spanish.

I find this so terrible interesting, but alas I need to get sleep.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 21, 2011

There's also gold filled... which I believe can be gold all around including caseback. You need to see the hallmark inside the caseback, its really not negotiable, especially when he's selling at solid gold price.

5. ulackfocus Sep 21, 2011

Insist on pictures of the movement and inside of the caseback or move on to a different seller. Sometimes stainless steel watches were sent overseas (particularly to South America) and the jeweler who bought them had solid gold cases made to install the dial & hands into. These watches don't have nearly as much value to a collector, and frequently weren't completely solid - the gold was built up around a base metal (usually brass) ring. Any knowledgeable collector can tell if it's authentic from Bienne or a SA made case with a single look at the hallmarks on the inside of the caseback.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 21, 2011

I'm in agreement that a jeweler who doesn't open up the case to take pictures of the inside of the watch either doesn't know his market, or is hiding something. I looked at a blow up of the back of the watch and saw this:

[​IMG]

I think the caseback is correct for this watch after looking at a few other examples online. In the lower left and upper right there are small Swiss hallmarks. My opinion is that it is solid gold. The only question is 14K or 18K. Also, it looks a little rough around the inside of the lugs. This is generally an indication that the watch spent years on a gold bracelet, which was probably only recently scrapped. A shame, but that is the way of the world right now.

The case doesn't look like it was polished too harshly as the antiquing is still present on the logo. That's the dark highlighting in the middle, which was there when the watch was new.

In a gold capped watch, the back would be mostly steel with just a little bit of gold wrapped around the lugs. Omega did not make this model in gold plate or filled.

In looking at the face of the watch, I do have questions about the hands. Here is a picture of the subject watch:

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of a similar watch...had look awhile to find one without tritium on the hands:

[​IMG]

The hands on the second watch are a bit more pointed. You can see this watch and more on the Constellation Collectors Blog here:

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/2007/07/omega-seamaster-golden-chronometres.html

Couple the factors above with a price that seems a bit high for this watch, and I'd take a pass.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Trev likes this.
  7. Wetworks Sep 21, 2011

I don't see how the jeweler knows it is a cal. 752 without opening the back. Assuming that everything else about the watch is correct, it could very well contain a cal. 750.

As Gator pointed (heh) out, the hands are definitely wrong. It also looks as if their "gold" color doesn't quite match the rest of the watch (especially apparent when compared to the dial markers.

8. Sereya Yorn Sep 21, 2011

excellent observations everyone! Here is his explanation as to how he knows its a 752.

First, this seamaster style with the day-date is unique to the 700 series. I have looked at the omega website myself and agree on this point. There are three options: the 750, 751, and 752. Now simple process of elimination; there are no solid or plated 750s, the 751s are the chronometer certified version (the watch in question isn't certified, at least according to the dial), 752s are the non-chronometer movement and are available in solid 18k. That leaves only the 752 cal.

He is going to open it up and take a look at the inside. I am looking forward to what he finds out. If it is as he says, solid 14k and 752 cal., I am seriously considering purchasing it. What is your opinion of the price, if all the information is correct?

9. Sereya Yorn Sep 21, 2011

Thank you for looking at this. Does those markings on the lugs indicate that it is solid gold? I have seen other omegas with similar markings that are solid gold as well but I have no idea what the markings are for.

10. ulackfocus Sep 21, 2011

Yes, they're gold hallmarks.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 22, 2011

The seller probably has a point about the process of elimination on the caliber. I think he will find that the case is solid 18K gold.

Just to give you an idea of pricing, you can into a very nice pie-pan 14K or 18K Constellation for $2,000 to $2,500. I think the 75X movement models are downgraded slightly in the collecting market as the day/date combo kind of clutters up the dial. At least, that's my opinion.

Remember that you are going to need the proper Omega hands, which might run you another $50 to $100 if you can find them. There is no indication on the website that the watch is serviced or has any sort of a warranty. So factor in another $100 to $200 for a service.

Here's how I would evaluate this watch, if it were my money --

Assuming it's 18K, there probably a little less than an ounce of metal there without the movement, crystal and crown. With gold at $1,800, that's maybe $1,300 melt value. Add another $200 for the dial and maybe another $200 or so for the movement. That's $1,700. Subtract the negatives as noted, you're around $1,400 to $1,550. If this really is a 14K case, then the gold melt value is $300 lower than that.

Anything you pay in excess of the above is IMHO is for collectibility only. Remember that these non-chronometer versions were fairly standard at the time. While they are very nice watches, there's nothing there that makes this an "iconic"Omega that would enhance this watch significantly above its intrinsic value.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

12. Sereya Yorn Sep 22, 2011

Great assessment! It is indeed solid 18k as you suggested and 752 movement. I think I will offer him $2000; he wants $2700 for it. Thanks so much for the help.

Which Omegas would you suggest as 'iconic'?

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2011

This thread
    This thread has a few of them: http://omegaforums.net/threads/what-are-the-ultimate-Ωmega-collectors-watches.143/

Speedmaster Professional
    Constellation Pie-Pan
    PloProf
    Seamaster 300
    FlightMaster
    Big Blue Seamaster
    Darth/Anakin