Forums Latest Members

What is the most significant factor in your watch selection?

1. JwRosenthal Oct 11, 2019

It doesn’t heat up until
    The September posts start

2. lillatroll Oct 11, 2019

Asthetics first then condition and if I can afford it. Those were my first thoughts but it also has to be Omega. I struggle to buy anything that is not Omega, I think this is mainly related to the fact that I decided that Omega has designs that cover every eventuality so it is not necessary to buy other brands. I have one or two other brands but 90% of my collection is omega.

3. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Oct 11, 2019

Personally, I like simplicity (less is more), a bit of history maybe (love a good story), or a personal touch (eg. loved Snoopy as a kid).

DaveK likes this.
  4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Oct 11, 2019

There is not much of a vintage watch scene where I live. So a year ago, I was interested in a watch if (A) it existed, and (B) if I could buy it. Now I have a few watches, a lot more knowledge (thanks OF!) and I am much more selective.

I now consider: does it round out my collection; do I love it enough to service it; how often would I wear it, will it likely hold its value or increase. I was headed towards an accumulation of watches, and I am now more deeply interested in a smaller meaningful collection. I am not sure what's next for a wrist watch, but I have turned an eye to pocket watches and I think because of my love for old black and white movies, I am really keen on the visual story pocket watches can tell about an era, especially the deco pieces. As a plus, PW's are relatively inexpensive, so you can get a few just for fun.

Also, my wife has become a watchhound after I bought her some watches (because she's awesome, and also to obfuscate my purchases). So the watch budget has gotten shared somewhat. All good news though, we should all be so lucky to have a partner who shares, or at least appreciates, our passions.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  5. Martin_J_N Oct 11, 2019

Readability is key for me, irrespective of brand or price the watch has to have a clear easy read dial, and should look good on the wrist. I am not a follower of trends I buy what I like not what is necessarily popular. If I had to say what style of watch do I like then I would say classic rather than sport.

DaveK likes this.
  6. gostang9 Oct 11, 2019

I made it, along with several others... some people smoke for stress relief, some hit a punching bag...

This is my Watch Buying Paradox...

Watch Buying Paradox.JPG

Speedy price chart...
    Omega Speedmaster Price Discrimination strategy.JPG
    And this one...
    Omega Speedmaster Interest - S and P 500 chart.jpg

And this helpful VENN diagram for Speedy WR...
    Speedmaster Professional - venn diagram water resistance vs diving.JPG

amiriqbal and DaveK like this.
  7. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Oct 11, 2019

8. saulgoodman Oct 11, 2019

1. Uniqueness. I don’t want what everyone else has. What’s the point?
    2. Lifestyle compatibility. It has to suit who I am and what I do.
    3. Comfort. Nothing worse than a watch that feels awkward on my wrist.
    4. Quality. I want keepers.