Forums Latest Members

What is the most significant factor in your watch selection?

1. mzinski Oct 10, 2019

We all have different reasons, rationales, passions, or ideas about why we're drawn to specific watches or watches in general. After a conversation with a fellow watch enthusiast last night on this subject, it has got me curious, what is your overarching motivation for a watch selection?

So otherwise asked, what is the most significant factor in selecting a watch?

For me, I'm drawn to the general aesthetics of a watch (and how they relate to my personal tastes). If it doesn't look good or provide me with delight, I'm hard-pressed to find myself interested. But admittedly, two other factors frequently creep up: heritage and function. Occasionally I find the heritage (story) of a piece or it's function (or lack thereof) will outweigh my aesthetic preferences.

And if I could expand the question a little further, why do you like watches? I mean, you've gone so far as to join a watch forum, talk about watches, embarrassingly talk wrist shots in public, post said pictures, and more. What is it about these trinkets on our wrists that develops such passion?

Martin_J_N, Mad Dog and Spruce like this.
  2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 10, 2019

Probably the lack of a satisfying sex life...

amiriqbal, 63TR4, DaveK and 26 others like this.
  3. mzinski Oct 10, 2019

::facepalm2::

::rimshot::

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 10, 2019

No 'most significant factor' for me. Combination of aesthetics (the watch -- not how I look when wearing it; I really don't care about that aspect at all), size, weight, readability, complications, movement, cost. etc. Any of these items can shoot down a potential purchase, or make me not care about the other items.

mzinski likes this.
  5. Walrus Oct 10, 2019

Damn you blew my cover, so to speak

Pun, mzinski and Mad Dog like this.
  6. JTridesbikes Oct 10, 2019

Sometimes it feels like we live in a time of great extinction. Sports cars, guitar heroes, and mechanical watches all seemingly losing favor to battery vehicles, computer music, and phone watches.

The Mechanical watch has seen this battle before. The quartz crisis and the 80’s nearly pushed them out of view.

However, like a Phoenix rising from the ashes, the Mech watch still stands proud as a symbol of a tradition that refuses to be irrelevant.

DaveK and mzinski like this.
  7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 10, 2019

Almost like baseball...

mzinski likes this.
  8. oinkitt Oct 10, 2019

Size, weight, legibility, design.

JwRosenthal and mzinski like this.
  9. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 10, 2019

How much others will be impressed.;)

10. KingCrouchy Oct 10, 2019

I would counter this interesting thesis and say that Watch collecting can cause a reduction of intercourses, if the other side is mad at the Collector for those numerous irrational buying spree's.

Why I buy a Watch, Design+ great and interesting Movement + Heritage.
    If something of those points is missing I will not buy the Watch.

amiriqbal and mzinski like this.
  11. speedmistr Oct 10, 2019

In selecting a watch it comes down mostly to aesthetic, size, style, engineering, price & history. But in general watches appeal to my love of design and engineering plus they are wearable, small (easy to ship/store), durable, and (being a vintage watch collector) have a history and usually hold their value at the very least. I think wearability is a huge factor for me since I've collected other things I've admired but they usually have to be lugged out of a closet to be enjoyed. With a watch I can just check out my wrist anytime I want. Which leaves people around me wondering why I'm always checking what time it is. ;)

63TR4, JTridesbikes and mzinski like this.
  12. Walrus Oct 10, 2019

Ha, I think about that sometimes. I like to check my motives for my actions. I really don’t think I’m out to impress anyone, if anything a number of my friends find my watch collecting rather weird. They are perfectly fine checking out their phone to see the time. One reason I wear them is to not look at my phone other than to set my watch by it. Yet hear I am looking at my phone at a watch forum. I think it’s mostly passed down from other family who liked them, appreciation of the workmanship and the look and practically of them.

mzinski likes this.
  13. Dan S Oct 10, 2019

The dial MUST NOT say Invicta.

JTridesbikes, cooljme, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  14. KingCrouchy Oct 10, 2019

What about Bremont?

madjestikmoose and mzinski like this.
  15. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Oct 10, 2019

The wife

DaveK and mzinski like this.
  16. Walrus Oct 10, 2019

I was grocery shopping the other day and the gentleman in front of me had on a gold tone Invicta that looked like it was 58mm. Really was ridiculous looking but if that’s his thing more power to him. It was probably an msrp 3,000usd but on sale for 120.

JTridesbikes, DaveK and mzinski like this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 10, 2019

Three things for me in order

Condition
    Condition
    Condition

18. queriver Oct 11, 2019

So if I sell all my watches do I get a great sex life? Let's start a rumour and sit back as everyone else sells and prices crash.
    Seriously though, primarily the watch needs to personally appeal and a large component of that is visual appeal.

KingCrouchy and mzinski like this.
  19. Börn Oct 11, 2019

Among other things, the history of the brand.

SpeedyPhill and mzinski like this.
  20. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Oct 11, 2019

No, baseball is just boring. That is the reason :D:D

mzinski likes this.