Forums Latest Members

What is the most significant factor in your watch selection?

1. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Oct 11, 2019

Combination of looks, physical properties, brand history, model history. My “collection” consist of some pretty mainstream models (Sub date, Sub without date, GMT, Speedy, Datejust) but I don’t give a shit about standing out or not wearing what anyone else is wearing. Hell, I like wearing what others wear. Is a Submariner a boring choice? Not for me. That many people like it and want it is not a problem just a testiment to the watch. On a summer day I will probably see a lot of people in a basic white t-shirt. Should that prevent me from wearing one myself. If you want to be unique you are going to make things very hard for yourself. I just happen to really like what Rolex is making. As so many other people apparently (damn them for the high demand and making me wait 10000 years on a model::censored::). I dislike the looks of a lot of what Omega, Breitling, TAG etc is making. Rolex hits a sweet spot on a lot of levels.

M'Bob and mzinski like this.
  2. JwRosenthal Oct 11, 2019

I think a sub question on this is not just what makes you select for a collection, but what draws you to wear one watch over the other. I have many in my collection that I love the looks of, the heritage or the engineering. But at 4am when I’m getting dressed, what makes me grab one watch over the other? Yes the issue of will it go with what I’m wearing or will my activities today mesh with the design of the watch. But for me it really comes down to legibility and comfort. If I can’t read it fast, it doesn’t get much wear. If I spend most of my time on a job-site, then they need to be more rugged and light weight.
    I love the looks of the 50’s-60’s Seamaster’s and have more than a few, but they get little wear compared to my more rugged watches because they are more dressy and delicate. Conversely, I find that if a watch is to bulky or heavy, I don’t wear them either.
    I think the difference between what we like vs what we wear are sometimes two different things.

mzinski likes this.
  3. Lazy_Lightning Oct 11, 2019

I’m straightforward: looks and feel on the wrist.

mzinski likes this.
  4. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 11, 2019

As I have gotten older my reading vision has become problematic. Readability has become a big factor in selection.
    upload_2019-10-11_9-44-8.jpeg

5. M'Bob Oct 11, 2019

So true, and another category where the Speedmaster gets a thumbs up.

mzinski likes this.
  6. mzinski Oct 11, 2019

Watch collector problems...kidding.
    With such a small collection of watches (7) I find myself facing these same questions more so when purchasing. I consider how much wrist time it might get, does it fit my lifestyle, is it multi-functional to accommodate various activities, etc. Sometimes it feels like an endless pursuit to find the perfect daily wearer.
    But now that I have two watches I'd consider solid daily wearers I see the "which one today" question coming up soon. I simply haven't dealt with it yet since my Speedy is just 6 days old and I still haven't gotten over the initial enjoyment of wearing it everyday.

7. Pun Oct 11, 2019

That all new watches from good brands meet squarely.

Nathan1967 and mzinski like this.
  8. mzinski Oct 11, 2019

I couldn't agree more. I always noticed the legibility seemed good in pictures but in person and in use it's striking.

M'Bob and Pun like this.
  9. Pun Oct 11, 2019

It’s other way round dear....

You buy watches due to lack of it.....

queriver and mzinski like this.
  10. gostang9 Oct 11, 2019

Each of my watches were bought as a stand-alone decision, and they all followed this basic decision tree...

Watch Buying Decision.JPG

amiriqbal, oinkitt, DaveK and 5 others like this.
  11. JwRosenthal Oct 11, 2019

I have the opposite feeling about the Speedy which I have worn for almost 2 decades. I find dial and hands too similar and find the sticks kind of create a zebra-like blur that makes it harder for me to see as I have gotten older. I find big hands and numerals (instead of indices) easier to see. I showed the difference in another thread
    This E473832B-A9B1-432E-868B-1AEBEBF3069C.jpeg
    Vs this
    6BEF6BE7-E88C-4EAA-9EB8-88D691292285.jpeg

DomB, Nathan1967 and mzinski like this.
  12. mzinski Oct 11, 2019

Did you make this? Or is this a meme floating around the web?

13. JwRosenthal Oct 11, 2019

I think having very few makes it easy (I had only my Speedy and GMT for a decade and would wear one for months then switch to the other for months). But with a larger collection, the search for the ones we can live with unfortunalty takes trial and error (aka spending real money) and there is no hard and fast rule- it’s completely subjective.
    Just becuase you love a watch in theory or design doesn’t mean you will bond with it. I think many of the FS posts in our own classified’s are statements to bought it, like it in principle, but just couldn’t love it. I think it’s hard for many newer collectors to admit when they need to sell- everyone else loves it, so why don’t I?
    I think part of the fun of this hobby is trying out what thrills us and seeing what works and passing the ones that didn’t on to others, hopefully not losing your ass in the process.

14. M'Bob Oct 11, 2019

Interesting. I actually find the Speedmaster so legible, that if I prop it up correctly on the bracelet, I can read from across the room. Unless I'm snorkeling...

15. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 11, 2019

Looking at those photos, the Sinn looks like it would take me longer to read the time than with the Speedmaster.

16. JwRosenthal Oct 11, 2019

Nooooo!!!!!

07717739-4F76-4539-8550-73137630F091.jpeg

gostang9, Nathan1967 and M'Bob like this.
  17. JwRosenthal Oct 11, 2019

Any this goes to the point that there is no conscensus on what works better than others, it’s totally subjective. Although I have a hard time reading my Speedy, there isn’t a chance in hell I would ever sell it. So that brings us to another sub-level of the OP’s question...even though it isn’t an ideal watch for you- what do you still hang onto just becuase it’s awesome?

18. mzinski Oct 11, 2019

Q: Why can male elephants snorkel any time they want?

A: Because they always have their trunks on them.

(What's all this snorkel business about anyways?)

19. JwRosenthal Oct 11, 2019

Sit down with a good drink, about an hour to spare and enjoy the mind-fuck that is this thread.
    Nobody who partook in it will ever be the same

https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-speedmaster-“i-wear-it-in-the-pool”.90799/

And actually, if you really want to play along, bring the whole bottle and don’t have any plans for the rest of the night. You have to drink every time Snorkel is mentioned

gostang9 and M'Bob like this.
  20. mzinski Oct 11, 2019

Funny, I started reading that one for about 2 pages when it was first posted, I suppose I’ll have to get back to the remaining 16 pages...

JwRosenthal likes this.