Forums Latest Members

What is going on with Ebay.???

1. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Sep 26, 2019

Yep... testify!

2. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Sep 26, 2019

I agree but for those on the margins it has gotten a lot uglier in the last few year ... and those who weren’t on the margins are there now ... @JwRosenthal ‘s post explains is beautifully I reckon ...

DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 26, 2019

Like many online shopping sites nowadays it’s the after the cart chargers that are getting more and more.

A $200 knife from “knives ship free” was $70 shipping to Australia from the US.
    Your are called knives ship free for F#@ks sake
    $20 yes $70 no chance

4. JwRosenthal Sep 26, 2019

On the margins is the key point. I always considered myself comfortable, I live within my means and carry no debt other than my mortgage. I get small cost of living increases and semi-annual meritorious step increases. But the last few years I have found discretionary income tighter-not for any change in my lifestyle, but due to an increase in cost of living.
    I think most people who are "in the middle" found tax-free web shopping a way to get around the local tax system for much of their luxury goods spending (and sometimes even household items). Having to pay tax now is akin to taking a 5-10% (or more) salary cut. If a recession was already on the horizon, this will quicken it.

WhatYourWatchSay and Matty01 like this.
  5. saulgoodman Sep 26, 2019

The lack of sales taxes is only one very small reason why online sales have hurt small (and some big) brick and mortar shops. There are so many other bottom line benefits to both online buyers and sellers that small shops can do nothing about. The collection of online sales taxes will not change that. The small shops can't compete with online retailers for a myriad of other reasons. Larger brick and mortar retailers have adopted a hybrid position. Most now have a large online presence and some of the items they sell can only be purchased online. In one way it is a real shame because many small business owners have been hit hard. In another, it is as you say simply an example of economic Darwinism. Once the automobile caught on the horse lost importance. This is just the way things are.

Matty01 and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 26, 2019

@gatorcpa

My UNLIKE button does not work !! only the like button works and it does not apply to your post ! hahahahaha

7. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 26, 2019

Hi everyone....

Keep in mind the big boom in original merchants were the mail order catalogs like Sears, Roebuck and Company.... then they started to go brick and mortor.... and now almost 100 years later its back to mail order catalogs and the current incarnation is Amazon.

Personally I already thought of new products as taxable and used products as items that tax was already paid on.... but it seems all the states differ on that...

The really sad part is ... vintage what ever.... postcards , watches, posters etc.... the entire collecting field once again will cost more to do........

Just brings a tear to my eye.

Good Hunting ( or maybe not anymore ).
    Bill

8. JwRosenthal Sep 26, 2019

I was thinking on this issue of multi-tax when this thread started and find it ponderous. I buy a new watch, I buy it with my money for which I have paid income tax. I pay sales tax on the sale. I sell it on ebay 2 years later for a profit, technically I now need to pay gains tax on that sale, and the buyer pays sales tax in his state. Then 4 years later he sells it for a profit and has to pay gains tax and sales tax is paid again. The third owner keeps it for 30 years and when he dies it's assessed as part of the estate and his offspring have to pay inheritance tax on the value of the watch. How many times can one object be taxed???

Maybe I should move to Delaware where there is no sales tax.

hanky6 and lando like this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 26, 2019

Do any of you own automobiles? Ever shop in a flea market or a second-hand store?

All items that are subject to sales tax when purchased new are also subject to sales tax when purchased used. Why should watches be any different? I don’t know of a single state with a sales/use tax law that specifically exempts items purchased used.

Fair is fair...but not Wayfair though.
    gatorcpa

JwRosenthal likes this.
  10. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 26, 2019

I need a " UNLIKE " Button !!!

Bill

JwRosenthal likes this.
  11. JwRosenthal Sep 26, 2019

Gator- you’re using logic- we don’t wanna pay!!!!:cautious:

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 26, 2019

Sorry Bill. It is what it is.

Want to “unlike”? Then vote the bums out.
    gatorcpa

JwRosenthal likes this.
  13. glownyc Sep 26, 2019

A cause and effect argument could be made that all the sales tax that you didn't pay is part of the reason things weren't maintained better leading to the increase rates now. It could also be argued that you are the lucky one who benefited for a long time with both lower rates and not paying sales tax. A young person starting out now doesn't get either.

kkt, gatorcpa, Archer and 1 other person like this.
  14. oinkitt Sep 26, 2019

It seems like someone here doesn't like paying tax. You know what they say about taxes an death......

The fact of the matter is that governments needs a certain amount of funds, they will get it from one place or another no matter what. If the took the tax off used items they would have to increase the tax on new products.

gatorcpa likes this.
  15. Njnjcfp88 Sep 26, 2019

On the watches I purchase in the Bay , I usually message the ‘Bay seller if they could kindly reduce the price a little more to mitigate the NJ and EBay fees I get hit with. That helps to put a little salve on the wound sometimes.

16. blubarb Oct 19, 2019

Rather than start a new thread I thought I might just add on here as it seems closely related.

I sold a watch on eBay for USD5,000 and it needs to be shipped to Florida USA. I am going to declare the full amount but I would like a rough idea of how much the buyer will be paying in duties. I have tried a number of USA Duty Calculators and they return no duties are payable (which I find unbelievable). Here is an example from one Import Duty Calculator:

"Estimated to be exempt from duties for "9102.21.30
    Wrist watches nesi, automatic winding, 2-17 jewels,
    watch band of textile material or base metal"

Anyone any idea how much it might cost to get a USD5k watch into the USA from experience or knowledge - surely there is a rough percentage I can apply. Cost of shipping and insurance from Australia about USD100 - appreciate your knowledge

Edited Oct 19, 2019
  17. IanES Oct 19, 2019

Don't know if it's true but I heard that US Customs can be a little strange when people ship watches in to the USA. For example I heard that Rolex USA considers any Rolex watch being imported into the USA to be in breach of Rolex USA's copyright/trademarks. So, even a genuine rolex supplied by a legitimate european AD shipping in to the USA could be stopped/seized by US customs.

Don't know if that's true? Is it?

18. JwRosenthal Oct 19, 2019

I haven’t purchased high dollar items on eBay from overseas (over $2k), but have never been charged duty- they have been held up for a few days, but that’s it. Not sure if there is a dollar threshold on value.

19. JwRosenthal Oct 19, 2019

And if this is true, I wonder how that’s enforced considering there would need to be special accommodations made for Rolex specifically as goods from other brands get imported by third parties constantly.
    Just another reason to hate Rolex- but that’s for a few different threads.

20. blubarb Oct 19, 2019

I am getting old and lazy in not using the search function :eek: though to be fair, I finally got to the search, and found that a few years ago I posted a similar question and @Larry S responded with an accurate answer then, so for all interested:

"Yes: (From an invoice on a watch from Italy for which I paid $4,936)
    $.90 for the movement +
    4.4% duty (Case) +
    .3464% Merch. Processing Fee ($17.10) +
    other ($7.90 - no detail) +
    Advancement Fee of $7.00 (Whatever that is) .=
    $81.17 - Short money.

It varies with watch value. Metal or leather bands. For instance the Rolex I just bought, they charged duty on movement. case and bracelet. I've not seen that invoice yet but we talked over the phone during the shipment process. Overall however they are charging peanuts for control, transparency and peace of mind. If there is a problem you get an e-mail and a call. Huge fan."

I am sure the amounts have increased. How the value of the case is determined and only .90c has me :thumbsdown:

Larry S likes this.