Forums Latest Members

what is going on with grand seiko?

1. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 10, 2021

just last year i was looking at some cool dialed, pre-owned LE models in the 3/4k range and now it seems like they've doubled in price. not many watch brands can say this

if i was on the fence at 3/4...i certainly can't be player @ 6/8

willy wonka yelled at me for not buying and said "you lose, good day"

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 10, 2021

Its something I've mentioned before that they're cool but once they're in 6/8 territory used you're having to make the decision to buy a GS over a JLC or a GO and that's a tough sell for me personally.

3. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 10, 2021

people are throwing around so much money for things it will make your head spin.

the media and current administration sells you on how bad things are and many people be out of work. but all i see is people spending needlessly on things like it's not a problem for them. and i'm not talking just about certain watches..

Fritz likes this.
  4. DoctorEvil May 10, 2021

The pandemic has restricted people's movement. So if you can't spend your money on an overseas holiday, then spend it on a watch or handbag. Makes you feel better about things. Retail therapy, I think it's called?
    https://www.marketplace.org/2020/10/05/pandemic-giving-luxury-watch-market-its-moment/

5. JwRosenthal May 10, 2021

I’m priced out on many of the bargain brands I was buying for peanuts a year ago. Bulova divers and Seawolfs have doubled. I guess for what you’re getting they still aren’t horrible, but the days of $300 666’s are apparently over. Glad I hoarded when I did.

6. inchpincher Has your missing inches May 10, 2021

It’s not just Grand Seiko although they’re pushing the brand very hard at the moment, Tudor and Omega love the Limited Edition business model to get the market whipped into a frenzy.
    In many ways it’s a page out of the vintage watch playbook because by their very nature vintage watches are limited and over the last decade the market has gone bananas.

size11s, FlatTop and JwRosenthal like this.
  7. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl May 11, 2021

I think 60's and 70's Grand Seiko's are still good value but I suspect the raising of modern prices will have an uplift on the vintage prices which will in turn encourage the raising of new prices. Seen it before somewhere.....? it's a big malicious snowball, if they can get away with it.