Forums Latest Members

What is a fair chronograph service price?

1. Kronos Infinity Feb 2, 2021

I was wondering what everyone thought a fair price for a chronograph servicing would be? Obviously there’s a lot of wiggle room in that but let’s just say a Valjoux 7750 or Landeron 248.

I have a local watch maker who suggested a price of $650-$700 for repair. I have another watchmaker who I’ve used for some electronic style watches that has a list price of $350.

wondering what others in the group feel is a reasonable number?

2. timoss Feb 2, 2021

$450 in NYC....

Kronos Infinity likes this.
  3. Kronos Infinity Feb 2, 2021

I’m actually in NYC... in Queens so Manhattan is more of a hassle than it’s worth.

recommendations?

4. wilderbeast Feb 2, 2021

Not quite your movements, but I had Valjoux 92, 7733 and 7734 all serviced within the last few months, at £325 each. That’s just a shade under $450. I’m based in London.

My WM gives the price without factoring in parts, which come on top. That may be where the higher price is coming from?

Mark020 and Kronos Infinity like this.
  5. JwRosenthal Feb 2, 2021

I’ve seen the gamut of $350-700, both of your estimates are on that spectrum. Also depends on if they are just doing a clean and oil or if they are actually scrutinizing the parts for wear and replacing accordingly- and then the cost of parts on top.
    We all have seen that what is “serviced” can vary.

DaveK, wagudc, Larry S and 1 other person like this.
  6. Kronos Infinity Feb 2, 2021

this was the price for a full service for a breakdown and obviously check the parts for wear ect. Replacement part costs weren’t included but I guess the timing of each part inspection was.

7. Kronos Infinity Feb 2, 2021

Thanks for this, it makes a little more sense now that it was probably a price with each part being inspected.

8. Dan S Feb 2, 2021

I'll just add that I wouldn't be surprised if the same person charged a bit more for an auto-winding chronograph compared to a hand-winding chronograph, so I'm not sure I'd lump those two movements together.

Not necessarily. Each watchmaker sets his own prices, and you can't judge the quality of the work by the price charged.

9. Kronos Infinity Feb 2, 2021

ive used the higher priced guy before and he does great and fast work. He’s based in the NYC metro area with this own storefront so his prices are going to be higher than the private Midwestern guy I also use. The higher priced guy was part of NAWCC and has more years experience than I have alive so it wasn’t a knock on the quality of either work. I was more curious to see what the prices were to see if he was trying to overcharge me.

10. Dan S Feb 2, 2021

Well, overhead due to high rent is certainly a typical reason to charge more, and if someone is particularly skilled and experienced they can usually charge higher fees. The last time I checked, anyone can join the NAWCC (e.g. I am a member), so I don't think I'd put much emphasis on that.

BTW, the $700 price isn't far off from a typical factory service price, which often includes some basic consumable parts and sometimes case refinishing, as well as a warranty of reasonable duration.

Mark020 and Kronos Infinity like this.
  11. Kronos Infinity Feb 2, 2021

this is a fair point but the $700 price didn’t include the services you mentioned other than a year guarantee. The parts refinishing ect would have been extra.

I misspoke on the NAWCC and you made a fair point that anyone can join. I meant to say AWCI.

anyways was just curious as to what people think the price range is.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 2, 2021

Just paid $900aud ($684.72us) for a modern Speedmaster.

Which included new crown, pushers and Hesalite and a few other things.
    (Wanted the full waterproof treatment due to swimming and snorkelling.)

Eve, wagudc, Dan S and 1 other person like this.
  13. wagudc Feb 2, 2021

::stirthepot::::psy::::psy::

ConElPueblo and Kronos Infinity like this.
  14. river rat Feb 3, 2021

Last time I got a quote for a chronograph was for a vintage Hanhart 417 military issued Bund was 700 bucks but they specialize in vintage military timepieces and do the best work. Some times you pay cheap and you get what you pay for a half ass job. Holding off until I can afford it and the US mail improves since I got to ship it since the watchmaker in Washington DC waiting for the nuts cool down going there before I ship the watch for service.

15. Joe_A Feb 3, 2021

I've been paying between $750 and $850 and the service has been very good.

I'm not suggesting that I wouldn't rather pay $450 if the quality were found to be just as good elsewhere. ;)

But do I want to take a chance?

. . .

Edit: I always document the state of adjustment in six positions before and after service using an inexpensive timegrapher, as well as take note of amplitude and beat error. This data goes into a spreadsheet.

In only one case, the state of the watch upon return was no better than when I sent it out and so I eliminated that repair entity from any future consideration - after sending the same watch back to them twice more with no better result.

I then paid for a full service from my regular watchmaker and the watch came back running like new. The report was that the watch was dirty. Seems the first watchmaker did a very poor job if they did anything at all.

I have a 1915 Gallet Electa which is in desperate need of service. It runs about 100 seconds fast in the crown down position and about 120 seconds slow in the dial up position. The difference between dial up and dial down is about 40 seconds a day.

Now then . . .

Without a timegrapher, the watch appears to be working pretty well because the watch - when I have worn it a couple of times only - has balanced out all the errors to the point where it's a bit slow, but not bad for a 115 year old watch.

I could adjust it to run faster in the dial-up position and fool myself into thinking that the watch is fine.

I'll be sending it out to my 'good' watchmaker shortly.

Edited Feb 3, 2021
    Mark020, Kronos Infinity and Archer like this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 3, 2021

Fair for whom? :)

DaveK, wristpirate, kd8tzc and 3 others like this.
  17. 140dave Feb 3, 2021

Yup, depends on where you live. I am generally paying $700-$800 (SF Bay area) and was just quoted $1000 from LAWW for Speedy service (cal 861 parts inc).:eek:

Would love to find quality @ $450!

18. csburns Feb 12, 2021

Does anyone have experience using a mail-in watch repair outfit? I have found a few places here in Raleigh NC that offer watch repair, but I would like to expand my options and wondered about this possibility.

19. csburns Feb 12, 2021

To add to this thread's topic, last year I paid $500 for servicing and reattachment of the seconds sweep hand to a 70's era Arnex two-register chronograph (Landeron 149 movement). This was in the Raleigh NC area.

20. Ness Feb 12, 2021

Can you please provide the details of the place in London?