Forums Latest Members

What happens to AD and brand prices during a time like this?

1. greyfox422 Mar 12, 2020

Scenario: A local mall remains open and contains a large brand boutique or AD. A shopper comes in and wants to buy a watch. They are willing to buy something but ask for a discount. As the seller, do you give them the discount to make the sale? Or do you try and maximize on the only transaction you might have by not giving them a discount?

2. Evitzee Mar 12, 2020

Depends on the skill and end goal of each party in the negotiation.

cristos71 likes this.
  3. reverbtime Mar 12, 2020

Depends on how desperate each party is to sell/buy, the brand, watch model in question, how well the salesmen slept the night before, is he/she in a good humor that day. Many factors.

4. connieseamaster Mar 12, 2020

I'd give it another 3-4 months before you starts seeing the ADs hurting. Maybe 1-2 before you start seeing interesting stuff pop.on forums.

5. Professor Mar 12, 2020

When you have hike to barter town to trade a Rolex for a five year old can of pumpkin pie filling I'll be really worried.

BenBagbag likes this.
  6. mjb Mar 13, 2020

What kind of pie filling?

A friend told me an anecdote once of an acquaintance who was a car salesman. December is a slow month for them, and they sold half as many cars as usual and made twice as much money.

Remember, they make it up in volume. No, wait...

Anyway, you just never know what's going on. They'll never sell at a loss, but if the store is about to close and they are going to liquidate the inventory, then yes, they'll take any reasonable offer. Or if they have quotas on volume instead of net.

Anyway, to answer the original question: No. It's likely that discounts are set at the corporate level, and they'll have the financial resources to hold out for a few months until the economy and the market recovers.

Also, I suspect that many people will be trapped in their homes during these voluntary or involuntary quarantines, and what do we do when we're stuck at home and get tired of having sex and watching Netflix? We shop on the Internet. So sales will be up, or at least even.