Forums Latest Members

What happens to those watches bought at Somlo?

1. tyrantlizardrex Jul 14, 2018

For those not in the know, Somlo are a vintage "approved" Omega dealer in London.

Their prices are typically 2-3 times market.

Their watches are often heavily refinished.

And many of us have wondered over the years a) how they stay in business, b) who buys their watches, c) what happens when the buyer decides to try and sell on something bought at 2-3 times market?

Ladies and gentleman, I give you the "Original and Hyper Rare" Omega flightmaster : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Flightmaster-original-and-hyper-rare/302782360328Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Pictures so they don't disappear with the listing:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

A bargain for something "original and hyper rare" at £6200.

From the listing:

"Colour infills like new" because they are new...

"the DC-8 engraving on the back plate of the watch is in perfect condition" because it's new...

"Many flightmasters you will see for sale have been repolished and often this engraving is hardly visible through wear or the repolishing process. Mine is in completely original condition." - Completely refinished...

I don't know what's worse, that he paid their price, that he believed their hype, or that he actually thinks this watch is "original and hyper rare".

Poor guy. ::facepalm1::

2. wristpirate Jul 14, 2018

Ouch... probably just trying to break even on the original purchase

Some serious kite flying with the price

3. michael22 Jul 14, 2018

What does "heavily refinished" mean, in this instance? Do they machine the case, or just paint things?

4. tyrantlizardrex Jul 14, 2018

For a long time they've sold watches that have been returned to "factory" finish

In the case of this watch, I think it’s been recut/grained.

It could be a new case.

Surprised they didn’t change the insert bezel, given this one has been eaten by a degraded crystal seal...

Edited Jul 14, 2018
    michael22 likes this.
  5. michael22 Jul 14, 2018

I suppose it's all about profit margin.

6. Dan S Jul 14, 2018

In a similar vein, I saw an eBay listing in recent months where the seller explicitly mentioned that he had purchased the watch from Hodinkee, and even linked to the expired listing on their website and used their photos and descriptions, as if somehow that added extra value to the watch. He initially asked slightly more than the price that he had paid, but ultimately accepted about 60% of his purchase price. And of course he had to pay fees on that.

Foo2rama and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  7. Fialetti Jul 14, 2018

[QUOTE="And many of us have wondered over the years a) how they stay in business, b) who buys their watches [/QUOTE]

Your first clue is the location of the seller, and their UK only sales policy:

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 8.01.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 8.02.34 PM.png
    Chances are good seller also owns a horse.

Nathan1967 likes this.
  8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 14, 2018

Somlo is actually in Burlington Arcade in Mayfair, but your point stands, except (maybe) about the horse

speaking from a NY perspective, there are no shortage of well-paid finance types in the habit of throwing money at their latest enthusiasm, derived from whatever status signifier their colleagues are currently throwing money at, rather than any deep knowledge about the product. A retailer like Somlo, put in the path of these guys with no time or patience to do the research and a fat bankroll, will not go out of business.

marco, jmazpiazu, roryoc11 and 2 others like this.
  9. abrod520 Jul 14, 2018

Spent enough time eating very below average sushi for very above average prices in the Financial District to confirm. And just look to the aforementioned Hodinkee for proof - often getting 3x market value for some watches

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  10. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jul 14, 2018

He means the eBay seller, as his screenshot shows. It’s an affluent area with the type of people maybe more likely to buy at Somlo.

Fialetti, tyrantlizardrex and LouS like this.
  11. cristos71 Jul 14, 2018

I've got a feeling we will be seeing this one again....and again.....and again.....and again......and....

Edited Jul 15, 2018
    gemini4 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 14, 2018

Ah, got it. All consistent - No one goes without their dinner if he loses money on this.

michael22 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  13. Wivac Terribly special Jul 14, 2018

The Burlington arcade is always an eye opening experience , some very fancy prices throughout...
    doesnt stop me pressing my face up against the windows though.

Edited Jul 14, 2018
  14. Rman Jul 14, 2018

What bothers me more than the inflated prices is the website. Maybe it’s the Flash design but you must start at the top of the site every time you open listing and return to the “collection” only to find over and over that the listings have no useful information whatsoever.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  15. tyrantlizardrex Jul 14, 2018

And some utter crooks.

Try asking in the “Birthyear Rolex” if the watches are original/correct/have papers... see how quick you get kicked out.

For anyone who’s had a look in their window, there’s good reason to ask those questions. ::facepalm1::

mr_yossarian, LouS and Wivac like this.
  16. Wivac Terribly special Jul 14, 2018

Last time I wandered through there was a Hulk that caught my eye in a window. Then my friend caught me when i saw the price.
    Still, Pam shop is round the corner, and a good pub so all not lost....

17. tyrantlizardrex Jul 14, 2018

Yeah, it's getting kinda nuts.

£3500 is now the average price for a very ordinary 70s/80s datejust without box and papers at the dealers there.

I guess you just have to keep chanting the mantra: A fool and his money are soon parted.

Wivac likes this.
  18. ext1 Jul 14, 2018

As I was reading this I had to explain to an ignorant dealer what's the difference between an original OEM Omega part, and a part original to the watch. He was trying to pass off a -69 with a DNN as "original" ::facepalm2:: even a newbie like me knows that...

19. Professor Jul 14, 2018

Its common enough to see relic condition Colt .45 peacemakers restored to like new appearance by using a Laser to cut all the roll inscription and engraving a few thousandths deeper before refinishing. Since they only do this with guns so badly worn they have minimal collector interest this work actually increases the value, though never worth a fraction of what a moderately worn all original specimen would bring.

I'd wondered if this were ever done with watches.

As for who buys them I suspect wealthy Arabs are a major market. Kuwait and some others divide profits from oil sales equally with their citizens. After the Desert storm dust up Kuwaiti buyers came here and enlisted the services of my next door neighbor in finding as many of a particular older model Chevrolet station wagon as possible and restoring them to like new condition. Many of these station wagons which were extremely popular there were stolen or destroyed by the Iraq invaders.
    The wagons were especially liked for transporting teams of body guards and their weaponry.

The buyers were paying several times market value for even beat up specimens and spending a mint on ground up restorations.

Jantar likes this.
  20. abrod520 Jul 14, 2018

Depending on the serial range, a DNN can very well be correct for a 145.022-69. The Straight Writing models for example should all have a DNN