Forums Latest Members

What do you think: Tissot Lemania CH27 chronograph in 18kt - gilt dial

1. MarcelGuinchard Jan 23, 2023

sheepdoll likes this.
  2. calalum Jan 23, 2023

Seems remarkably clean for a watch of that vintage. I would do a lot more research before putting down that kind of coin. Good luck.

cristos71 and MarcelGuinchard like this.
  3. MarcelGuinchard Jan 23, 2023

Thanks @calalum !
    What I will research:
    - the pushers seem to be gold plated, given how they turned silver. Is that something original to the watch?
    - is that normal that there is no model number?
    - are there any other similar-dialed tissot out there?

Any other thing to look at?
    thx

4. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jan 23, 2023

Not a Tissot expert but that dials looks too crude for me. My vote would be redial.

Edited Jan 23, 2023
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 23, 2023

Overpriced, in my view, and I wouldn't be comfortable with the lack of movement images. If the dealer sent you the one that you posted, I would question why it is so small.

Also, the upper pusher appears to have been replaced. If you look at the large image of it, it appears to have been damaged, yet the smaller movement shot, and presumably the front shot appear to feature a newer one.

Finally, the upper case has seen some polishing, and the lugs are unlikely to present as they did when new. Even assuming an original dial, I wouldn't have interest at anything close to the asking price.

Northernman, Larry S and Vitezi like this.
  6. Vitezi Jan 23, 2023

This same watch has bounced around between a couple of dealers. Here is it's previous listing:
    https://pascalkarpwatchesexpertise....h27-gilt-dial-or-jaune-18kts-cal-c27-41h-1946

At a glance it's a good looking watch, and if you're not a collector, that will look lovely on the wrist. However, vintage watch collectors are keen to spot redialed watches, and this one has a few areas of concern.

Notice how the 8 overlaps the subdial edge:
    upload_2023-1-23_10-26-20.png

Notice how the 4 does the same:
    upload_2023-1-23_10-27-20.png

Notice how thick the paint has been applied in the minute ring:
    upload_2023-1-23_10-30-8.png

Those are a few tells you can spot without knowing anything about vintage Tissot chronographs. Now, if you're also a vintage Tissot collector :whistling: this is what a solid gold chronograph (with a nearby serial number) would look like...

upload_2023-1-23_10-40-19.png

...and you can see that the fonts are different, the numeral layout in the subdials is different, the scales are different, the printing is crisp and sharp.

For further comparison, here is mine from that era:
    upload_2023-1-23_10-42-50.png

7. Bernhard J Jan 23, 2023

And you do not find it strange, how the 10 and 2 o´clock indices overlap the subdials in this case, whereas the 4 and 8 o´clock indices do not overlap?
    Just asking, as a matter of interest and for learning.

Cheers, Bernhard

8. Vitezi Jan 23, 2023

Indeed, they seemed to do so on that model with the long markers. Here's a different example:
    upload_2023-1-23_12-35-38.png

9. Bernhard J Jan 23, 2023

And indeed so differently in one and the same dial? I (far from being an expert), would immediately have tipped "redone dial"

Omega.jpg

Northernman and Mark020 like this.
  10. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jan 23, 2023

Exactly. Looks like I did that

Northernman likes this.
  11. MarcelGuinchard Jan 23, 2023

It’s been 8 years since I started reading and posting on this forum. Even after this time, I am still impressed by the quality of feedbacks that are shared here, as well as the effort by members to educate the group.
    Thanks a lot @Vitezi @Bernhard J @Tony C. @Mark020

It now seems obvious that this dial has areas of concern (numbers overlapping on sundials, thick paint).

thanks all for the educational content. Will obviously pass this one.
    Take care.

12. KnightNZ Feb 16, 2024

Old thread but wanted to chime in because I own the watch in question.

I'm confident it's not a redial.

For starters, this is a true gilt dial, so the numbers and other details are the brass dial plate showing through.

None of it has been painted on and so there is no 'thick paint'. There's a really nice shimmer to the dial because of the brass details and glossy finish. Also the black paint is not perfect and shows obvious signs of wear under magnification.

It is strange that the 4 and 8 overlap into the subdials, but the other examples posted here have anomalies too... Like the markers encroaching in the same way.

The case is pretty sharp. The pump pushers are both identical and plated. With some wear showing.

Edited Feb 16, 2024