Forums Latest Members

Lemania CH27 Chrono - Lemania Resources and Books?

1. simon87 Dec 31, 2020

Hi all,

I've been looking for a vintage Chronograph from the 40s/50s for some time, and finally settled on a 1950s Triple register Lemania Chronograph with a CH27 movement. It's not perfect, but I was keen to take the plunge or I would keep missing the models I really liked. The price was decent enough so it won't be ruinous if it turns out to be a franken.

It's running, though the Chrono is getting a bit stuck, and per the seller it hasn't been serviced since purchased from Bonhams 6 years prior, so it's in dire need and I will be sending it out shortly for a service. I've added some photos below in case anyone is interested. Other than the minor issues (I think) with the Chrono, the only other evident issues with it are (a) the crown appearing to extend too far out, and (b) the dial being slightly recessed on the top left side. Does anyone have experience with (a) and (b), or could it be indicative of anything sinister given the context?

I would like to do more research on the watch, so if anyone has any Lemania books or databases etc. (ideally with serial numbers), I would be most appreciative if you could share these! I am of course aware of Mr Ranfft's work, which I used along with some references to sold watches on Hodinkee (and of course OmegaForums!) for general stylistic and quality/finishing verification before purchasing.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Lemania_CH27
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/...s=14&_sid=79478c7c3&_ss=r&variant=44964915023
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/...s=13&_sid=79478c7c3&_ss=r&variant=48203853135
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/good-book-on-lemania-chronographs.33109/

In terms of Lemania resources, the only online resources I seem to have found relates to caseback and other stamping w/r/t military issued Lemanias (not helpful here sadly).

I have noted the references to the Lang & Meis book on Chronos, but I understand it doesn't go specifically into any brands or reference numbers, so I would prefer to hold off spending the £95 it costs now. Though welcome to be corrected, as I haven't read the book. I am most concerned at this stage with understanding this particular model I have purchased and whether its numbers line up.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chronograp...16&sprefix=chronograph+wristwa,aps,131&sr=8-2

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Simon

17342323-2lldy0m9jv982o9l69hfmzu3-Zoom.jpg 17342323-d0pv5qac2ubv7r7t59eh1a3f-Zoom.jpg 17342323-zkfhi57fq1j8kww3x9f34bnp-Zoom.jpg image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3 (1).jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg image6.jpeg image7.jpeg image8.jpeg image9.jpeg IMG_8899.JPG IMG_8900.JPG IMG_8901.JPG

Maybe and size11s like this.
  2. Dan S Dec 31, 2020

Looks like a nice pick-up that just needs a little TLC from a watchmaker.

With the dial, it's hard to tell exactly what I'm looking at, but perhaps the watch has the wrong crystal installed, and needs a crystal with a retaining ring. Can you tell from your research on other examples?

Regarding the crown, it could just be that someone did not adjust the length of the stem correctly, but it's weird that Bonhams would have sold it that way, and that the seller would have lived with it for 6 years.

3. simon87 Dec 31, 2020

Thanks for the reply Dan, it definitely needs a bit of TLC :)

On the dial I tried to get a photo showing the slight angle downwards on the left side, it almost looks like it's not quite sat correctly. It's quite subtle. The plexi is fairly beat up (I don't mind) but perhaps it is the setting of it or it needs a ring. Hopefully watchmaker can sort it. I think the case size (35mm) must be right for this dial, as I have seen a number of others with the same dial and case size, across various dealers.

On the crown I honestly have no idea. Visually it doesn't even bother me that much, I would just be worried that it gets caught on a coat/sleeve or something and I damage it. I get the impression from the seller that it was more of an investment piece (given the price he paid in 2015 at Bonhams he did well! - he provided a copy of the receipt) or it had sat in a collection unworn for some time (among other nice pieces he had and was selling).

Any thoughts regarding serial numbers and so forth? I was quote pleased to finally find this model with everything marked for a decent price so I just went for it - though I must admit I haven't a clue as regards any of the figures.

Cheers,
    Simon

4. aleksejeremeev Jan 4, 2021

I'll brag about my piece

IMG_0799.JPG IMG_9493.JPG
    SpeedyPhill and Mark020 like this.
  5. ConElPueblo Jan 4, 2021

Congrats on a beautiful chronograph :)

I have a sister model to yours - a Tissot variant with a four-digit movement serial and nearly the same case and dial type:

[​IMG]

My dial has had a partial redial/relume and I would kill for correct hands like the ones on yours :D

6. Vitezi Jan 4, 2021

I can't quite see the dial issue in these pictures, but a watchmaker should be able to set it correctly. The hands are all correct and fonts/printing looks good. Based on the movement serial I think your example dates to 1945. You have a "waterproof" screwback case, which makes your example a little special. Lemania did not typically sign their casebacks, but I am not familiar enough with their casebacks to be able to ascertain the correctness of your example. Casebacks sometimes got mismatched or swapped out during a previous service, so doublecheck against other examples that you can find on the interwebs. A sympathetic service, a new crown, and a new crystal, and you'll be good to go.

Maybe likes this.
  7. Truva1 Dec 18, 2021

Hi ConElPueblo, what about such hands but in green? You could just change the color.

8. christychronos Sep 13, 2023

Hi Simon, Any luck on Lemania info. I am trying to find out more on my which is very similar to yours. It's nicer than pics but as my son says "The movement is very sad" .He is going to rebuild it for me.. Thanks Gary C.

ch27 Front.jpg CH27 Movement 2.jpg CH27 Back plate.jpg CH27 Back.jpg
    cristos71, Mark020 and sheepdoll like this.