Forums Latest Members

What do you think of the brown dial speedmaster professional?

1. bdub99 Nov 7, 2020

I've been thinking about this watch and would love some input. I have a few omegas but no speedmaster yet. Love the 321 but that is a little steep for me right now. I haven't been able to find much on OF about this, but maybe because I'm getting overwhelmed with all the vintage brown dial watches that come back in a search. I am talking about the sapphire sandwich professional, 311.32.42.30.13.001.

Here is an example: https://www.chrono24.com/omega/omeg...--id16911204.htm?checkoutId=2911908&showAll=1

Thanks in advance

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 7, 2020

From what I remember a couple of year back, these were selling pretty poorly. Definitely not worth dropping $5.5k on -- I suspect you can find one for a bit less if you are okay with 'gently used'. Might be worth reaching out to some of the sellers like Kringkily to see if they can score one for you.

If you like it you like it. Your opinion is really the only one that matters. To me it is no better or worse than any modern Speedmaster. The brown is gimmicky to many, but to others it is a nice change from the normal black dial. The one thig it is not though is a satisfying vintage 'chocolate' or 'tropical' replacement.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Tekashi_145.022 Nov 8, 2020

That may be the only deep brown dial I’ve ever seen on a watch and liked. I agree with BlackTalon that it’s not as fulfilling as a vintage chocolate or tropical dial, and that you could save a good chunk of change if you can find one preowned, but that’s a good looking watch!

4. zwjk Nov 8, 2020

I do not mind it at all. As others have mentioned, it won’t give you the same satisfaction as a tropical or chocolate example, but hell at half the price why not?

Good to differentiate yourself from all those black dial Speedies out there :thumbsup:

3rdstringholder likes this.
  5. bdub99 Nov 8, 2020

That’s sort of what I’m thinking. Not that it’s the same as a true tropical. And that way, I can make an excuse about why I also need the new 321 in a few years.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 8, 2020

Neat pieces that banged around for awhile unsold.

“In hand they are not as stunning as a real one” is far from an understatement. But it’s nice variation esp if you wear a lot of brown.

should be able to source for less then 5 k easy.