Forums Latest Members

IWC Vintage manual - what do you think of the dial?

1. Furze Apr 11, 2018

I noticed there are some IWC fans here, and I have come across this in a bricks and mortar dealer, claims the dial is original, what do you think?

IMAG1760_1.jpg IMAG1759.jpg

bardamu likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Apr 11, 2018

I'm ALWAYS skeptical of IWC dials from the 40's and 50's because so many redialers have the dyes necessary to recreate the fonts / lettering correctly.

I'd have to see it to confirm there's depth to the ink because those pictures are not helping. If it's flat, it's probably a redial. The one thing positive that can lean somebody to thinking it's original is the crispness of the lugs. If we could see the inside of the watch that would help also. A pristine movement pushes the decision in the direction of original too, since that would mean the rest of the watch is in equal condition to the dial.

Is it a caliber 83 or 88?

3. bardamu Apr 11, 2018

Is it a 83?
    I have been studying for a short time IWC dials from that period and, even if pics are not so good, I guess that this could be original.
    In any case, it’s a lovely piece ;)

4. TropicConnie Apr 12, 2018

It could be the angle of the photographs, but the seconds subdial looks ever so slightly off-kilter to me. I hope I'm wrong, because that is a beautiful little watch.

5. Furze Apr 12, 2018

Thanks for all your comments, I too err on the side of caution with older IWC's, more redialed than pie pans in my opinion, but I do like this one. Sorry, that's all the images I have, but will be requesting more, so fingers crossed!

bardamu likes this.
  6. mario linus Apr 12, 2018

IMHO original