Forums Latest Members
  1. alexgalt Feb 19, 2013

Hello again everyone,

I'm pretty close to making a decision for the brown dial speedmaster. THere are several available through Yodobashi camera in either Tokyo or Osaka. One of the ones I'm thinking of is this one:

http://www.omegawatches.com/watchfinder?id=415&L=&page=0&reference=311.32.42.30.13.001

The other one is the same but on the bracelet. What I find odd is that the watch above is about 300 dollars higher than the one with the steel bracelet, I thought it would be the other way around. My first question is, does this seem normal?

Second, I've read in several posts that the steel bracelets are worth about 500 dollars and they seem to be preferred by many posters. Does anyone have experience with one of these models or at least with a band of this type? If so, how do you feel it compares to the steel option? From my own perspective, I like the brown strap with the brown dial and the couple hundred bucks extra seems worth it for a more dressy look, but I thought some input from more experienced hands might be useful.

Thanks

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 19, 2013

As a general rule for new omegas you buy the bracelet since if you buy the strap version and decide you want to get the bracelet later on it will cost more than if you did it the other way around (buy bracelet version and buy strap later). Also there are also many non-omega straps that you can purchase that cost less and are as nice (and in some cases nicer) than the omega original straps. Also there is more variety in terms of style, material and color in aftermarket straps.

3. alexgalt Feb 19, 2013

Thank you MSN, that answer makes perfect sense and I'm embarrassed I didn't figure it out myself.

4. pascs Feb 19, 2013

As you know I have the 311.30.42.30.13.001 which is the chocolate dial Speedy with the steel bracelet. I would definitely go for the one with the bracelet. Its a very attractive and comfortable bracelet. I dont particularly like the look of Omega brown leather strap and personally I'd buy an Alligator strap instead which can be picked up at a reasonable price.