Forums Latest Members
  1. Paul** Apr 24, 2015

hi guys, I'm looking at this watch with a view for purchasing - it's around £450 ($680). It claims to be a 1970 Seamaster. It's a re-dial, which I don't in itself have a problem with - I have a 1970 Omega Geneve that i've talked about on this forum before that I had re-dialed by Omega and am very happy with. HOWEVER this watch was not re-dialed by Omega but according to the seller "by an expert". The glass is not Omega glass either but i don't think that matters overly.

I know nothing about 1970's seamasters though i've googled lots of pictures. The case looks identitical to my Omega Geneve though the hands look more Seamastery. The colour looks lovely. I was initially concerned by the fact that the Omega logo is painted and not applied as it is on my Geneve but I googled pictures of other Seamasters and a painted logo doesn't seem anything out of the ordinary.

Does anyone see anything obviously wrong with this watch? Depressing that when faced with a good deal i become immediately suspicious!

blue seamaster.jpg blue seamaster back.jpg
  2. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

That seems very expensive for a redialed '70s Seamaster with a less desirable caliber that appears to have corrosion on its rotor (unless I'm misinterpreting the last photo).

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 24, 2015

Whats this experts name, whats hes training that made him a Expert
    Its a re-dial and everything adam78 said

Its not a good deal your being robbed

::facepalm2:: Research will help that
    Funny

4. Paul** Apr 24, 2015

Ok sounds like i should pass on this one. thanks chaps. £450 seems cheap relative to other vintage omega's available on chrono 24 or in watch shops but if it's a poor watch it's a poor watch regardless of price.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

"chrono 24 or in watch shops"

The two most expensive venues outside of and Auction shop.

6. PatrickJ Apr 24, 2015

I paid £480 for my Geneve with an original dial, non polished case, the dial is very good and even condition without anything being repaired, the glass as omega logo. A watch maker from the forum checked it over. I did ok but over paid by about £100.

£450 in my novice opinion is too much.

7. Paul** Apr 24, 2015

Silly newbie question perhaps but where do you look for watches then? I get that you pay a premium if you buy something in a physical store because they have rent and staff overheads but in return you get to play before you pay. I don't get why Chrono 24 would be so expensive? Do you just look on ebay? I've never bought anything off ebay before it always looks like the wild west to me.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

Have you tried looking here?

9. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Apr 24, 2015

Thats easy.... HERE in the sales section... given your limited knowledge (Edit: Cicin... beat me to it)

10. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Apr 24, 2015

I think the redial is pleasant, like, say, appeasing oneself into a bowl of custard but ultimately not quitecright, like, say, choosing to then eat the bowl of custard.

oddboy likes this.
  11. Canuck Apr 24, 2015

A generic crystal? Many Omegas of that vintage (including the subject watch) use an "armoured" crystal with an internal reflector ring. Omegas generally have a "stepped" reflector ring, with the perimeter of the dial dropping into the stepped portion of the ring. Generic armoured crystals don't have that step! When these generic crystals are used in an Omega of this vintage, the movement sits too far back! This often causes interference between the rotor and case back, and the watch won't wind automatically! The watch might seem worth the asking price to the vendor, but it's questionable as to whether a buyer should pay that price, IMO!

12. ulackfocus Apr 24, 2015

Don't buy that watch. For the money they're asking, you could get a nicer watch in original condition.