Forums Latest Members

What do people think about Hublot?

1. Bushido Feb 9, 2019

From my limited experience with them and the reviews that I have read, they're very good and on par with many other brand's in house chrono movements. Flyback chrono, 100m WR, vertical clutch, column wheel, 28,800 beat rate, and a 70hr PR on a single barrel (if memory serves me correctly). They also make a number of high complication pieces which seem pretty cool but not my personal style.

Slowpoker likes this.
  2. djmusicman Feb 9, 2019

I like the smaller big bang watches, not a fan of the oversized look. This is the 41mm version. The black magic version is nice too. They take a massive hit in value on the second hand market so I'd buy used if I was looking to get one.

hublot big bang my.jpg
    Slowpoker likes this.
  3. nlogax Feb 9, 2019

On a purely aesthetic level, I don't understand them... May as well save a few quid with a G-Shock that will survive all the inevitable doorframe-bashing :D

(Plus I have puny wrists)

4. Yelfel Feb 9, 2019

The only issue I have with Hublot is that they’ve taken design cues from AP. Not only taken but essentially built their brand on a design famously attributed to AP. Other than that, and a few gaudy designs, I’m a fan of their use of high-end and innovative materials.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2019

Hublot has been around for a very long time before the Biver era began and the Big Bang was first released. The Big Bang is a hyped up sporty version of the original "porthole" design that has been around for decades.

HUB20031_1_enlarged.jpg

Yes there is a similarity to the RO, but I think to say they are somehow ripping off the RO as you are implying is going too far. The only thing they really have in common with the RO is the screws on the bezel.

There are many different types of watch collectors out there, and as you indicate Hublot uses innovative designs and materials, so will appeal to the "new tech" type of collector who wants to see watchmaking technology advance in this. This is in contrast to the more traditional collector that values old style craftsmanship. Not saying either is right or wrong, just a different focus.

barbecoa, Slowpoker and Alphasports like this.
  6. Yelfel Feb 10, 2019

Agree with some of what you’re saying except I think it is entirely reasonable to say Hublot has taken design cues from AP and the success of the current Hublot product line (ie. the Big Bang) is from these design cues taken from AP. Hublot’s original launch was 8 years after AP launched the Royal Oak, and yes, Hublot’s watches looked different than how the Big Bang looks like today. Today’s Big Bang has angles on the case and lug design that are very similar to the Royal Oak, in addition to the screws on the bezel. Even Biver agrees that the Royal Oak and Big Bang look very similar. Perhaps Hublot can justify the integrity of the Big Bang’s design based on the same “porthole” inspiration as the Royal Oak, and agreed, there are other watches with similar inspiration. But when it comes to design integrity even from the same inspiration, I’d have to credit the designer who was inspired first. Genta’s Royal Oak design is first and was very unique.

If you’ve ever watched Ben Clymer’s interview of Jean-Claude Biver on Hodinkee (great interview), Biver makes considerable effort to explain why the Big Bang may look similar to the Royal Oak, and the great efforts Hublot went through to try and make sure the Big Bang did not look like the Royal Oak when it was first launched. I think over time, however, Hublot made tweaks and changes to the Big Bang, which today, looks very similar to the Royal Oak.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2019

We can agree to disagree on that one.

Slowpoker likes this.
  8. Evitzee Feb 10, 2019

Tungsten or titanium? Two completely different metals.

9. Stufflers Mom Feb 10, 2019

Yep, W and Ti

10. Slowpoker Feb 10, 2019

From what I've experienced, seen and heard Hublot took the inspiration from the meaning of it's name. It isn't unreasonable to think that Hublot didn't take inspiration from AP, of course it could all just be a coincidence too.

However it is also fair to say that AP took some inspiration from Hublot too. For instance the whole rubber strap thing started with Hublot, with AP later on releasing rubber straps with their offshores.

There's no way that Hublot is ripping off AP however, apart from the bezel screws there's not much resemblance. You come to realise that when you've actually got one on your wrist.

20190210_204510.jpg

Yelfel, Bushido and Archer like this.
  11. Meme-Dweller Feb 10, 2019

My opinion is neutral, though I would love to own a 42mm Big Bang in the near future. I do, however, occasionally lurk the Hublot forums on WUS and it's crazy the amount of users authenticating Hublots, and they're almost always fakes. The Rolex Fake Busters threads are tame in comparison.

12. Yelfel Feb 10, 2019

Regardless of the Hublot v AP discussion, that is a beautiful watch. Love the skeleton dial Hublot.

13. Slowpoker Feb 20, 2019

Thank you very much, it is a great watch indeed and I love strapping it on every morning.

I went to the Hublot Boutique yesterday in London to change the 7 year old strap on the Tungsten Hublot and I must say they've seriously stepped up in the watch game. In house UNICO movements; STUNNING finishings on their watches..

I can't stress enough as to how sexy their new watches look in terms of their construction and finishing. Their latest 42mm Unico timepieces honestly put my current Hublot to shame with their vastly superior finishings.

I didn't take any photos but I will be doing so sometime this week when I go back. Just to answer a few things people may be confused about or just don't know:

The UNICO movement is not cosc certified because Hublot have their own standards. That funnily enough being the same as the COSC certification. The movement is however extremely accurate and pretty much always well within the parameters.

Service times are very similar to Omega unless the watch is one of those sapphire ones in which case it must be sent to Switzerland. I was quoted £400 for a basic service including finishing and etc although prices can ramp up to 1.5k for very special circumstances.

They're introducing the 42mm Unico range in order to cater to people who would rather wear a smaller/normal sized watch. I personally am quite happy about that as I'm starting to think my 44mm Hublot is slightly too large for my wrists..

They're also looking to eventually offer all their watches with the UNICO movement, ending their usage of modified ETA/Sellita movements.

Anyway just wanted to put this out incase anyone had any doubts or questions about the brand.

P.S: I don't work for Hublot.

14. nycpassat Feb 20, 2019

You will get a lot of negative opinions on Hublot for their 'copied' design and price structure. IMO they are overpriced as their resale value is indicative of their demand.

15. FlyingSnoopy Feb 20, 2019

Not really a fan of them...
    They copy AP.....and now RM...

16. deanathan12 Feb 28, 2019

I love the Hublot brand. It's gotten a lot of heat for the movements they use but they've been using their in house movements and they're actually quite nice.

17. GMTspeedmaster Feb 28, 2019

I like it but I won't buy it. Beautiful piece

18. Boss77 May 15, 2019

I personally think they're overly complicated and they don't appeal to me.

19. Uniqez May 15, 2019

Who cares what people think, I never buy anything thinking what the other people think about it. Name any watch and you'll find people who likes it.)))

20. Boss77 May 15, 2019

Totally agree. To each their own.