Forums Latest Members
  1. devnull Jun 14, 2015

This is one of the watches on my to-do list. I'm not getting this one but i figure it is a good example to talk about it so i can learn a thing or two.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Rare-H...473?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3f4e929b29Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The case had been polished to hell and back, the crown must be a correct replacement, the dial seems original? I could not find an exact match on the omega database but the serial puts the watch on the right date and similar watches of the time (thin lines on the dial as opposed to the fat marks) seem to match the overall appearance . How come the back I'd pitted like that? I didn't think stainless steel would get that bad.

On this condition, what's the ballpark for this watch? What would the ballpark be if the case wasn't so overpolished?

Giff2577 likes this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 14, 2015

That seller has been around for a while, and is often a bit too clever at times with his photos.

The watch you like has an attractive, original dial and hand-set, but the case has seen plenty of polishing (as evidenced by the lugs and crown, as you touched on), and the case back has somehow suffered from corrosion. Also, the movement image is intentionally brightened, almost certainly in an effort to mask plate discoloration and/or scratches.

I don't know what it's worth, but then my only interest would be to salvage the dial and hands for another project watch.

Edited Jun 14, 2015
    Giff2577 likes this.
  3. devnull Jun 14, 2015

Yes, the overpolishing is too much for me. If you look at the picture with the crown you can still see marks of corrosion that explain why somebody went crazy with the buffing wheel. It looks like the back is what the entire watch looked like before they removed several layers of metal.

I'm still curious as to what a good price range for this particular watch would be in this and in better condition. One day I want to pick one up.

Giff2577 likes this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 14, 2015

Price range? Very difficult to say. For me, the dial and hands have value, and the movement – probably for parts – as well. The case is a write-off. In other words, I would only value you it based on the value of the parts aside from the case.

It is, of course, likely that some prospective buyers would be happy to own it as is. What would they be willing to pay? My guess is probably in the $400-500 range.

Giff2577 likes this.