Forums Latest Members

What do people think about Hublot?

1. Slowpoker Feb 7, 2019

Hi everyone,

Long story short I recently had the chance to pick up a rather special watch and thusly jumped at the chance. I didn't know a huge amount about it minus the fact that the watch was made of tungsten and that it was a Hublot.

Wearing it for the first time today it held up very well with zero scratches since its made from tungsten. However it received a huge amount of attention from colleagues and just random people who had a lot to say about the watch. Many compliments and envious comments were given and one or two dislikes were given. Of course I wasn't expecting this as I had never received as much attention with my Omega.

I thought of it as very clunky and odd when I bought it two days ago, but I've now honestly fallen in love with it as it's something quite different to the normal array of watches you see everyday.

I'm not going to say that I didn't enjoy the attention but It sort of raised a question in my mind; being how everyone here viewed Hublot?

I've attached a rather bad photo of my Hublot, just in case anyone was interested in seeing it.
    20190207_183513.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Edited Feb 7, 2019
    Duracuir1, Japanred, Yelfel and 3 others like this.
  2. AveConscientia Feb 7, 2019

Expect for a G shock or a diver I don't wear watches above 37mm or so. To me they are very over the top and seem like really expensive Invictas. I do understand their draw however. Definitely one of the most devisive watch brands like a Richard Mille

Fritz, superfly, persco and 2 others like this.
  3. Inpw Feb 7, 2019

I hope nobody asked you the time. ;)

Seriously, I think of them as statement watches. Statement first and foremost, watches a distant second.

tikkathree, marco, superfly and 5 others like this.
  4. Slowpoker Feb 7, 2019

Funnily enough a few did. It's honestly not that difficult to tell the time with this watch. Infact I dare say it's quite accurate when compared with my phone's time.

Never was it more than 2 seconds out of sync.

superfly and Reddy_Kilowatt like this.
  5. stevec14 Feb 7, 2019

I don’t mind them at all. I tried a few classic fusions on and was very taken by the 42mm in space grey. I was less keen on the big bangs and king powers etc. I think there are a couple of main dislikes in general.

1. Many WIS dislike as they appear AP lookalikes with non house movements (admittedly they are starting to rectify that).
    2. I’d always be conscious someone thought I was wearing a knock off.

That said, if I had the funds I’d probably pick one up assuming I had the need in my collection. I would, however, buy grey as they drop like a stone on the secondary market and there are some good deals to be had.

Congrats on yours. I like the look of it. They pop loads so I’m not surprised you got some attention.

superfly and Slowpoker like this.
  6. MCC Feb 7, 2019

I am not a fan of them but the enthusiasm with which Jean Claude Biver talks about his makes me think I am missing something!

More to the point, they are too big for my puny wrists.

7. rcs914 Feb 7, 2019

The complete non-alignment of the bezel screws drives me insane.

8. Slowpoker Feb 7, 2019

Definitely, when I first saw a Hublot online it stunned me that anyone would wear such a thing.

Obviously these watches won't appeal to every one but I'm proud of myself for trying something new.
    The bezel screws ground my gears thin in photos, but in real life once you wear it, it honestly becomes a non-issue.

Hublot's watch finishing is exquisite, when the light hits the brushed tungsten at the right angle it really is beautiful.

superfly likes this.
  9. Slowpoker Feb 7, 2019

Thank you, Indeed they totally do pop, it's just I underestimated exactly how much it would pop.

I totally get the knock off reasoning, however the neat thing about this watch that since it's Tungsten, it most likely isn't easy to fake. Tungsten is incredibly difficult to work with, it's melting point is something crazy like 3400+ degrees Celsius and it's the hardest natural metal known.

I haven't had anyone even doubt it's authenticity, although it's early days and I doubt I would fuss if a random person called it fake.

superfly likes this.
  10. thatonewatchdude Feb 7, 2019

Hublot is a good brand and they do innovative things, they're inspired by the ingenuity of the Great Gerald Genta along with the crazy innovative designs with Richard Mille, but as Mr. Genta stated if you're not being copied then you're not competent. You made a great choice and enjoy it amigo

Slowpoker and superfly like this.
  11. Stufflers Mom Feb 7, 2019

The standard 3 hand fusion classics in titanium and ceramic are nice, but many of the other models leave me cold.

superfly likes this.
  12. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Feb 7, 2019

I admire your courage in trying something new, personally I would be too concerned about future resale value especially if it did not work for me after purchase.

superfly likes this.
  13. fakinbacon Feb 7, 2019

Any idea of how much it weighs? I've had a few small tungsten items and the density and weight is always crazy.

superfly likes this.
  14. Bushido Feb 7, 2019

I've spent time in a few different Hublot boutiques trying on different pieces. I have to say, while their entire line doesn't grab me, they have a number of pretty impressive watches. I most appreciate that they really push the envelope on material sciences. The in house Unico movements are very good and the chrono pusher feel is some of the best around.

Congrats on the new watch! It looks great and most importantly, you're enjoying it.

superfly likes this.
  15. maecenas Feb 7, 2019

Do you ever wear any other skeletonized watches? That would be my guess as to why it got so much attention... in my experience, the general population just doesn’t think of watches as mechanical items and are blown away when they’re able to see inside.

As far as Hublot goes, I don’t know the lines very well, but I like your choice. Tungsten is a nice material for watches.

Slowpoker and superfly like this.
  16. KingCrouchy Feb 7, 2019

It's a great watch when you are a Rapper or NBA Player, and it wears well and feels comfortable.
    I respect the brand for how well they are running their business. From a WIS standpoint, I find them overpriced for the movements used.

Monobike and superfly like this.
  17. ext1 Feb 7, 2019

Just a caveat, I think that probably you won't get to see responses from people that happen to really dislike Hublot on this thread. Generally if people don't have something positive to say they don't say it, so...

bd-chrono, aap, Dan S and 1 other person like this.
  18. MrJKLFoams Feb 8, 2019

Hublot is basically expensive version of tag heuer and otherway around and yeah zenith which is turning into hublot as well. Its very hi tech in terms of materials and techniques creating a timepiece but if you’re looking for value and resale then its not a good watch to buy even if they’re “limited edition” which most of them are the value and the love for this brand is not there. Its a watch that you’ve got to love and want not bcoz of the after market value but bcoz you want them really bad or you’re a big fan of micro engineering then this is perfect watch for you.

superfly likes this.
  19. Slowpoker Feb 8, 2019

Some of their watches are quite.. Out there in terms of design but their material science is honestly the very best. Plus some of their watches really catch the eye.

I'm not familiar with this Unico movement, I understand it's their in house movement but is it any good?

20. Steve88M3 Feb 8, 2019

Wanker bankers love Hublot.