Forums Latest Members

What are your thoughts on the Speedmaster reduced? Worth it?

1. nutwaffle Nov 7, 2019

Unlike pugs, cats won't read or listen. Sorry ;)

Edited Nov 7, 2019
    Strangedream likes this.
  2. Dan S Nov 7, 2019

Someday, it's likely that you will sell this watch to get a new one, and selling it without a bracelet will be a pain in the neck. And buying the bracelet separately is always more expensive. The box and papers are optional, but I suggest you buy one that has a bracelet.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 7, 2019

The real issue with the reduced from an owners perspective is that service options will be more limited to them. There are some watchmakers who will work on these, but many simply won't as they are not worth the aggravation. The base movement is not the issue, but the module is - they have more play in them than a typical movement does and sometimes there's no stopping the little wiggles of hands and things that can go on, even with new parts. The addition of the module is a compromise design certainly, and just like many hate working on the Lemania 5100, many hate working on these watches with DD modules slapped on top. The beauty of being an independent watchmaker is the ability to pick and choose what you work on, and most choose not to work on these.

Omega will always assist when it comes to servicing, but be prepared to pay the same as you would for a Speedmaster Pro.

This is key. Since this watch is often valued far less than what a Speedmaster Pro is, people often balk at being charged an appropriate price for the servicing. Many still do not understand that the value of labour is independent of the value of the item that labour is being applied to.

Benbradstock, Tony, gpssti4 and 2 others like this.
  4. Strangedream Nov 7, 2019

Oops, maybe I can play the "Eh I'm new here" wildcard? :p

g-rex and nutwaffle like this.
  5. Strangedream Nov 7, 2019

Thanks for the insight. Makes sense now, the seller was okay to give me a 1-year warranty on the ETA but not on the modular Chrono. My other top choice is an El Primero 38mm, which I feel more inclined to get after reading more about the Speedmaster reduced (no Moonwatch for my tiny wrists). I realize servicing isn't cheap for this watch either but it should be easier to find someone willing to work on an integrated chronometer. I guess.

Edited Nov 7, 2019
    thelinendial likes this.
  6. Claven2 Nov 7, 2019

I had one. Enjoyed it for a while, sold it, and have no regrets. If you want an auto chrono, look for one of the lemania 5100 or valjoux 7750 based models, or a newer coaxial. (Omega 1040, 1152, etc.)

Module chronos make baby jesus cry.

7. Claven2 Nov 7, 2019

You could look at some vintage baume & mercier chronographs in the 35mm range. They use the Lemania 1873, aka the omega 861 calibre. They also only sell for around $1200 or so. Nice watches mechanically identical to a modern moonwatch.

8. Strangedream Nov 7, 2019

Thanks for the suggestion, I will have a look but probably not pull the trigger on that. I'm too novice to tell whether a vintage watch in genuine or a frankenwatch so until then I'll stick to more contemporary models. It's a shame the trend these past decades has been shifting almost exclusively toward big watches.

9. baac Nov 7, 2019

Great watch!!
    It was my first omega!
    My birthday gift of my 18th aniversary from my parents.
    Until a nioce guy stoll it from my house a few years..

Best Regards

10. Strangedream Nov 7, 2019

Seller had three in stocks but it seems the minimum price I can expect from Carousell saturates around S$1950 with original bracelet.

11. av8ffej Nov 7, 2019

All the things that they said above - Yes.

Here was my experience buying a reduced. I still have it. It is one of my favorite watches.

My thoughts on your original post are:

* If you are questioning "is it worth it?" then you should not be buying it.
    * If you want a great daily wear that you can beat around, love, wear, and not worry about resale value, this is a good price for the joy you will get out of it.
    * If you think that this is a watch to flip and make money on, it is not.
    * Could you get your original money out of it should you change your mind? Probably.
    * This is not a collectible watch. Forget about the "movement problems" "piggyback" "Blah, Lemania, blah, not a chronograph, blah." It is not a Speedy Pro, ergo it is not a collectors watch. It never will be.

I have tiny 6.5in wrists and as such, the reduced looks way better on my wrist and just so happens to be less expensive and a stunning daily wear watch. win/win/win If this sounds like you, you are a contender for this reference. If not, carry on to something else.

12. Strangedream Nov 7, 2019

Thanks for this post, this is exactly what I was looking for. A clear and concise overview of the value of this watch. I'll still give it a couple more days before I make my final choice.This Speedy would be a keeper if I do go for it this time.

By the way I like your panda Speedy even more than the all-black dial.

av8ffej likes this.
  13. Dan S Nov 7, 2019

IIRC, there is also a Speedmaster date, which is an automatic with a valjoux 7750-based movement. I believe the reference may be 3513.50. I don't know the exact size, but I think it's substantially smaller than a moonwatch.

14. Strangedream Nov 7, 2019

It appears to be a 38-39mm. It's a shame Omega discontinued this model, it's a great value watch.

thelinendial likes this.
  15. Dan S Nov 8, 2019

I think that you can find Speedmaster Date models that are relatively modern, and they have the Omega equivalent of the Valjoux 7750. I don't know if any of the styles appeal to you, but they would seem to address your concerns about serviceability. Frankly, I don't know all the variations, but there is also the 3210.50. They are smaller than the moonwatch, automatic with a movement that is easily serviceable and robust, and within your budget.

16. Walrus Nov 8, 2019

I think it’s 39.5 if I’m not mistaken

thelinendial likes this.
  17. durri70 Nov 11, 2019

I also have a reduced and love it. One question :
    When push to restart the crono , the minute hands shake a bit, does it happens to you?
    Thanks

18. SBS74 Nov 11, 2019

It’s my fav Omega I have owned

B63520F0-3B94-4935-8236-AE17FEA0AFB3.jpeg

durri70, ALinares, artek and 2 others like this.
  19. 03Hemi Nov 11, 2019

Not a reduced, but a Triple Date and is 39mm, this is mine. IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG

Edited Nov 11, 2019
    thelinendial and Walrus like this.
  20. ALinares Nov 11, 2019

I am not an expert but I can share my experience.
    More than a year ago I read many of the forums about the Speedmaster Reduced and in almost all of them the recommendation was "save and buy a Speedmaster Pro". After that I bought the Reduced.
    For me it is not possible to compare the Speedmaster Pro and the Reduced because they are completely different watches, are very similar, but they have absolutely different calibers. It's like thinking if you should buy a Rolex or an Omega. The answer for me is: OF COURSE YOU SHOULD BUY BOTH! I understand that it takes time and that we must sacrifice expenses but it is worth it. I use my Reduced much more than the Pro, and I enjoy it every second.
    On the other hand, If you only want ONE watch then I do not even recommend a used Speedmaster Pro, I suggest a completely brand new one because it will be your watch for a lifetime, and it could even be a Seamster 300 or any other that you like.
    But if you want start an, extravagant or humble, personal collection of extraordinary watches, definitely buy the Reduced. Not because of its resale value or because it is collectible, just because it is extraordinary.
    Here is a picture of mine:
    PS. Enjoy looking for a new strap if you get it, can be any that you like, take risks on that.

IMG_6067-3.jpeg

thelinendial and 03Hemi like this.