Forums Latest Members

Too soon to speculate on the Speedmaster with the new 321?

1. cfracing May 18, 2019

I don't know if it is being disrespectful to start speculating about the Speedmaster with the new 321 movement so soon after the official 50th Anniversary Apollo XI Speedmaster announcement/presentation, but some speculation has already started in other threads so I decided to start one devoted to the 321 Speedmaster.

This discussion can be about the platinum version or the supposed follow-on stainless steel one.

I will start by jumping to the SS version. Since I think of the 321 as being a "vintage" movement, I think the case should be vintage, too, that is, a 38.6mm (60th Anniv) or 39.7mm (FOIS) case with straight lugs and no crown guards.

As for price, I think the premium for the 321 will be more than for the gold highlights of the Apollo XI Anniversary watch so I am guessing $15k USD.

2. Omegafanman May 18, 2019

I think this video gives a more than strong hint that the 3861 will be the new standard manual Moonwatch movement.

My guess for the 321 SS will be very close to a 105.003 but @ 42mm and $10,000

After all the releases this week and looking to the Gene Cernan 321 project my current thoughts are:-

Omega say the 3861 took four years to develop and it is being called an updated version of calibre 861/ 1861. It features a co-axial escapement and a silicon balance spring. It is Master Chronometer certified by METAS etc etc. If this becomes the defacto manual Speedmaster Professional , then this watch can then justify a higher price tag and is competitive by modern performance standards.

I don't think this (3861)watch could claim to be ''flight qualified by NASA for all manned space missions''. I take the point on the slight delay for 861 /1861a testing, but the 861 was used by NASA on Apollo experiments and flown around the Moon, so even if it was not fully rubber stamped until the Shuttle mission tests it has that official pedigree and is still flying.

I also think adding ''flight qualified by NASA for all manned space missions'' would not make a big difference to the 3861 price tag and we all know any official kit will probably be digital on future missions, so why bother looking at NASA certification?

This leaves the 1861a - I don't see how they can push that price up compared to a 3861 watch offering.... But a 321 Speedmaster Professional would still be flight qualified by NASA for all manned space missions and is 100% the first watch worn on the moon. That would be very desirable and demand a high price tag despite being 'old tech' . Also would they go to so much trouble just for a one off limited edition when there are still a fair few genuine vintage 321 Speedys on the market.

Long story short one outcome could be that, The 861/1861 is retired and replaced by the 3861 movement in the standard modern manual Speedmaster Professional offering.... in conjunction with a more expensive vintage 321 version which still carries the flight qualified by NASA for all manned space missions / the first watch worn on the moon moniker. The best of both worlds and a bit like Sapphire/Hesalite you can take your choice. I imagine their will also be display back option and maybe the odd special edition as well.... :0)

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-watches-2019-hands-on-selected-novelties.95331/

wkimmd likes this.
  3. TJH May 18, 2019

Is there a 'grey market' for vintage Speedmasters?

eugeneandresson likes this.
  4. Omegafanman Feb 13, 2021

Its funny to look back... Ok I was out on a few points and I know a lot of you were on the same track..... but I just wish my stock market and Bitcoin predications got anywhere near as close :0)