Forums Latest Members

What are your thoughts on the Speedmaster reduced? Worth it?

1. Strangedream Nov 6, 2019

I'm considering getting a Speedmaster reduced (older version with Arabic number on dial) from a local seller. The watch runs fine but doesn't come with box or paper or even original band. Seller doesn't have service history and it looks like the case has been polished a tad too much. Is $1,280 asking price too high?

Any other tips and stuff to look out for during sale are welcome! Thanks!

speedmaster_reduced_1572600499_27f843f9.jpg speedmaster_reduced_1572600499_aee3f751.jpg speedmaster_reduced_1572600499_ff4b22e7.jpg
  2. NobodySpecial Nov 6, 2019

Disclaimer, I know next to nothing here. Just picked up my first watch of any substance recently and I'm learning every day. That being said, I'm saving for a Speedmaster. The plan is to grab one for myself as a graduation present next year. As it will be my first, things like original boxes and over polishing is of almost zero consequence to me (if the price is right) as I will be wearing it every day. Also, I prefer the reduced for every day wear as it is less noticeable and clunky. IMHO if I had a $1200 speedy that worked in my hands at any point I'd probably buy it then and there lol.

3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 6, 2019

Use the search function, there must be hundreds of threads addressing this exact same thing :thumbsup:

4. gpssti4 Nov 6, 2019

I’m not sure how the Arabic dial affects the price but it seems expensive to me for a watch that has been over polished and doesn’t even have the original bracelet. If it were me, I’d keep looking.

Strangedream and apsm100 like this.
  5. Strangedream Nov 6, 2019

I did a bit of research yes. Apparently this model is hard and costly to service so Omega just swaps out the movement. I also read purists say this is no true Speedmaster because of the cheap automatic ETA movement. Just wanted to gather couple more opinions for this particular watch (with no box, paper, band) since I'm no expert myself.

Edited Nov 7, 2019
    SpeedyPhill likes this.
  6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 7, 2019

Don’t think it’s a case of being an expert...some folk like it, others don’t. I would say (from hanging around here) for every person who likes it there are 10(or more) who don’t. Personally I find the subregisters being so far from the center quite unbalanced. There are a lot of folk with small wrists who I guess love it. I guess what matters most is what you think, and why you would consider buying it. If ‘financial investment’, stay away (edit: from all watches in fact). If ‘personal enjoyment and pleasure’ you can’t go wrong. Hope my thoughts help.

Edited Nov 7, 2019
    airansun, Sidnos, apsm100 and 2 others like this.
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 7, 2019

The key things to consider are the polishing which is very difficult if not impossible to rectify if you decide you don’t like it, and the lack of service history. It might run ok but if it doesn’t then you will wish you found one that does. There is nothing wrong with an ETA auto movement. What is less than ideal is taking one and bodging a way to add functions it wasn’t designed to do by bolting on an extra chrono unit. That’s how these work and why many think less of them. Keep reading.

Strangedream, 03Hemi and marco like this.
  8. Chye Nov 7, 2019

No bracelet? If the stated price includes its original bracelet, I would go for it. Of course, this assumes there's no authenticity issue with the watch itself. The version you are looking at is not that uncommon, so if you have any doubt at all, I think you can hold back, and there will be other opportunities.
    There are a few Speedy Pro vs Reduced threads out there. The general view is to just save up, and go for the Pro. If however, you like the Reduced, you should just go for it. I like the Reduced because of its smaller size, and its automatic movement. Servicing wise, I mentioned the 'hard to service' issue with my regular watchmaker, and he appears surprised. Here's my 2 Reduced with its older cousin. Very very happy with them.

Speedies - 191107.jpg

durri70, Jimbo555 and Badwolf like this.
  9. percymon Nov 7, 2019

eBay is littered with reduced Speedmasters so you have plenty to compare on condition and price. There are a lot in a Japan, presumably due to their comparatively small wrist sizes. Japanese examples are almost always repolished , often to as new sheen which for many is like buying a new watch despite perhaps losing the original finish.

to my untrained eye..

plus points
    Leather strap looks new/almost new (not my preferred colour but it’s different)
    Price seems ok (comparable to other reduced examples, at least half what you have to pay for a manual speedy)

minus points
    Case back seems to have a lot of wear marks, why didn’t they polish that as well ?
    Service history?
    No case or papers (although not everyone keeps these things over the years, sales or house moves etc etc).
    Can’t read serial in the photo - ask for it and compare/check where you can
    Service costs

if you wanted to keep this example 20 years how would the ongoing service repairs outlay compare to buying a more expensive manual wind ?
    Can you find a similar watch with papers and box for similar money ?

10. Strangedream Nov 7, 2019

No bracelet, I've seen some genuine Omega bracelet for $300 but that would defeat the purpose of buying so low in the first place. Personally I am more inclined toward the reduced because I have tiny 5.9" wrists. Just for reference, how much was the service? Nice collection by the way, the white dial emanates a lot of charm!

11. apsm100 applysome! Nov 7, 2019

If my wrists were bigger I'd have a Speedy Pro no doubt and I owned a reduced for about 2 years. I actually strangely started to like the far out subdials as it kinda reminded me of the 40's chonographs mixed with 70's MK speedys.

Mine was 95' unpolished with original bracelet for 1200USD. I'd skip the one in your posting.

av8ffej and Strangedream like this.
  12. Strangedream Nov 7, 2019

I'm buying from a local seller (Singapore) and most speedy reduced are few 100's more with original bracelet but have neither box nor paper. The strap is new but I dislike the color so probably won't be keeping it. I'll see the watch in person later, if the serial has been completely erased I guess I'll probably pass.

13. Sidnos Nov 7, 2019

For what its worth I had the same dilemma when purchasing my first Speedmaster.
    Having read the multitude of threads here and elsewhere on the subject and weighing up all options I decided on the FOIS.
    The size of the reduced was what appealed but then the FOIS is only very slightly larger and comes with less servicing complexities. Having said that, in real life the size on the wrist versus a pro isn't noticeable to me but the cost was (for examples of comparable condition).
    Seemed to me the FOIS is a bit of a "halfway house" between the reduced and the pro (in terms of cost at least) and I love mine to bits!
    One word on the FOIS is that, as has been widely documented, legibility of the hands in low light levels is rubbish! Personally, it doesn't bother me significantly....
    In your shoes I'd either go for a FOIS or wait for a Pro but of course just my tuppence worth from my experience. I'm by no means an "expert" on anything.... and least of all on watches!!!
    Good luck with whatever you plump for ;)

Strangedream likes this.
  14. percymon Nov 7, 2019

Prices are all over the place on carousel for reduced speedies, so very difficult to tell what the local real value is. Seller has a LOT of watches for sale, so no doubt there is a deal to be done.

15. Martin_F Nov 7, 2019

Just make him an offer with a number where it would make sense for you to buy the watch.
    Let him make the decision for you!

mzinski and gpssti4 like this.
  16. alam Nov 7, 2019

I suggest using the search function here with the keyword "reduced", posted by member "archer" --- you'll find several threads providing perspective on this watch from a qualified Omega watchmaker.

17. 03Hemi Nov 7, 2019

Not new to watches, but new to Omegas, so no expert here. What he said was the first thing I discovered after getting my Speedy Triple Date, in the Reduced they take an existing movement and "piggy back" the chrono movement on it. If you like the smaller size of the Reduced (39mm), look at the Speedy Triple Date (39mm), it has the 1150 or 1151 movement that has the chrono feature designed into it, along with the moon phase as well, but you have to get the "Moon Phase" watch to get that face and dial. (which is one of their most complicated movements from what I've discovered.)

18. nutwaffle Nov 7, 2019

My watchmaker jokingly threatened to kick me out when I brought in a Reduced for overhaul. He is not a fan of the "piggy back" chrono and says that Omega really dropped the ball on quality and construction of the Reduced.

19. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Nov 7, 2019

there are strict rules on having a Pug as an avatar. Have you read these?

Strangedream and nutwaffle like this.
  20. mzinski Nov 7, 2019

^^^ This ^^^

Speedy Reduced come and go for a variety of prices - watch eBay for a bit and you'll see $1200 - $1800. It's an okay price, IMO, but without bracelet and unknown service history I wouldn't go for this one unless they took an offer I found reasonable.

Regarding whether a Reduced is "worth it", I think they're cool watches and a very nice size. I now have both a Reduced and a Pro. I rebuilt the Reduced, including the movement AND DD module. I understand how some watchmakers might be turned off at the prospect of servicing the whole movement. It takes time and it's not the most intuitive mechanism. But if your watchmaker is capable and the time/cost ratio makes sense, there's no reason this movement cannot be serviced and cared for. Again, IMO, the DD module is a clever addition to a very nice ETA based movement that has been used by not only Omega but a whole range of watch companies.

All that said, the Pro fits the size of my wrist and it gets the most wrist-time. Some of the details and my perception of it being a harder-wearing watch keep me wearing it. For instance I like the screw-down case back better than a snap-on. In addition to that, I'm a sucker for a story - if I ever end up in space I know which watch will be on my wrist.

Anyways, go for what you like.

Strangedream likes this.