Forums Latest Members

What’s happening on March 26th then?

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 29, 2022

I bet they knew exactly what would happen. By limiting the number of outlets they were manufacturing demand and attention, just like Louis Vuitton does by creating lines limiting entry into its stores, or like Hermes or Rolex keep limiting or not increasing production when they know what the demand is.
    They also knew they could elude the charges by promising they would keep up production- also just like Apple when their
    new products hit the stores.

cvalue13 likes this.
  2. proximal Mar 29, 2022

I agree, although I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it. If I were in charge, I would've not done the Mission to the Moon model and instead have the Speedmaster Pro "complete" the collection of missions.

3. Shay Mar 29, 2022

So do you think they will keep up production? Or will play the Rolex game?

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 29, 2022

I don’t know anything, but I’m sure they will keep up production if that’s what they promised, but they must know at one point the craze will die down to the point where production meets demand.
    It’s a genius PR stunt, not a status item.

Pun and JwRosenthal like this.
  5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 29, 2022

They make money if the produce as many as possible. No sense to throttle on a $260 watch. At least I can't think of a reason.

6. lillatroll Mar 29, 2022

It would be great to meet a another watch enthusiast.

Syrte, MDubs and Taddyangle like this.
  7. cvalue13 Mar 29, 2022

On cue, a post from Swatch

53D5796F-5095-42B5-8F3E-5AAEE866DC4F.jpeg 5B503606-312C-4C3D-8769-4CB5B49BC1E6.jpeg

I’ve underlined the language I think is key here.

First, lots of hedging about “doing best” and “hoping.” Remembering these story posts are carefully crafted and vetted marketing posts (unlike perhaps comment replies), and this language viewed as politics (and as reviewed by legal) suggests to me they know they don’t plan to produce a lot of these.

Im further biased in this conclusion based on what exactly they say they are “hoping” for: that people can “lay their hands on” the watches - not “buy,” not “take home,” etc. They’ve used this “lay hands on” phrasing now in 3+ different iterations of these marketing notices.

In the next capture, Swatch has also consistently for many of these notices said these are not “limited editions.” Anyone paying attention to the NEW321, Snoopy, etc., releases knows that Swatch group views limited editions to be different from limited production. Call me when one of these Swatch notices say these will not be limited “production.”

Finally, Swatch has now also clarified that subsequent releases would again be “select” stores. This could be more or less than the initial release, of course, but those initial stores were not selected on accident.

Remember that Swatch picked only a few stores per country, then sent those stores only a few examples of each watch. That, also, was not on accident. They didn’t do that because they hadn’t had time before roll-out to produce and ship enough.

That did that because these hype releases are 95% marketing, and the marketing really only works if these sell out, fast.

I would not hold any breath expecting them to change the behavior they’ve already demonstrated in the first release and these subsequent marketing notices.

Edited Mar 29, 2022
    robinhook, Caliber561, Pun and 4 others like this.
  8. studeb Mar 29, 2022

you do know that Costco sold the moonwatch for a while…

cvalue13 and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. YY77 Mar 29, 2022

Uhm, you literally quoted him saying that.:whistling:

10. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Mar 29, 2022

@studeb yes, I do think he knows that :D

proximal, JwRosenthal and YY77 like this.
  11. Shay Mar 29, 2022

What would be the benefit of limiting production of a $260 watch? The snoopy is at different price point and not a quartz plastic watch.

12. cvalue13 Mar 29, 2022

Did you happen to notice any discussions in the news, IG, YouTube, the forums, about lines outside of stores, people sleeping out, etc.?

Turns out, that’s what happens when human-apes learn there aren’t enough of something.

Or let me put it a different way: you’re right that it’s only a $260 watch (gross), which means the marketing hype generated by exclusivity is vastly more accretive than the sales.

This is modern hype marketing basics

Pun likes this.
  13. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Mar 29, 2022

This is cheap marketing that has drawn up massive hype (and fomo) putting all eyes on Swatch and Omega. Swatch does need to pump out more to be successful. This ad campaign (if you will) has generated profit, generated mass interest, and driven people to Omega (many) for the first time (cha-ching). Pumping out enough MoonSwatch's for everyone risks running stale. Limited production keeps the hype up, keeps all eyes on Swatch and Omega, and generates profit from other sales (other Swatch's and Omega).

Pun and cvalue13 like this.
  14. Evitzee Mar 29, 2022

Look for the MoonSwatch Collection to quickly fade from the scene now, Swatch got what they wanted in spades, it is viewed as a complete success even if they don't sell anymore of these Swatch Speedmasters.

Pun likes this.
  15. JwRosenthal Mar 29, 2022

I agree to a point. Yes it has had the desired effect, but the next steps can backfire. This move was bold and the messaging inclusive rather than exclusive (there will be enough for everyone). If they pull a Rolex and severely limit production- not talking about stopping the run when sales start to fall off, but actually capping it at a number- they will lose the goodwill they have generated by this fun and exciting product line. I for one will be disgusted if that’s the way they go.

alexxs, cineaste, robinhook and 4 others like this.
  16. texasmade Mar 29, 2022

I'm not sure where you live but a few years ago Popeyes Chicken released their own chicken sandwich. Someone did a comparison with other fast food chicken sandwiches and said Popeyes was the best. Mad rush for everyone to get to Popeyes to try and every location sold out instantly. It was all over the news, Instagram, Facebook, etc. Great marketing hype for Popeyes to constantly show the long lines of people trying to get that sandwich.

17. redzer007 Mar 29, 2022

Maybe, but it does appear there are alot of pissed off people. I was reading the comments below the latest swatch Twitter and IG posts. They are overwhelming negative.

Accept it's a limited location, but still, alot of people not too happy.

Do I want one? I did a couple of days ago. now, maybe, but the need has passed

Pun likes this.
  18. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Mar 29, 2022

Definitely agree and agree. I hope that is not the case as well.

19. JwRosenthal Mar 29, 2022

The clock is ticking. Every day they withhold from global availability, the angrier and/or more apathetic the masses will get.
    This is not like Rolex popping out another $8k turd with a different second hand- that only 4 people will be able to get this year- and everyone knows it.
    This product line is within reach of almost anyone who has a little disposable income and that’s a lot of hopeful people left disappointed. And people won’t remember Swatch as the one that dashed their hopes- they will remember that they were promised the opportunity to buy an Omega Moonwatch at an affordable price and it was snatched away from them by the big bad snobby Omega- who obviously only cares about influencers and rich people.

20. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Mar 29, 2022

Though, I do want to say, with all the “Omega should be more like Rolex” comments, the last company I ever envisioned taking a leaf out of Rolex's book was Swatch. If they do do this, part of me will be disheartened but the other part of me will be internally thinking “you cheeky bastards :D”(picturing them mocking Rolex).

JwRosenthal and savka like this.