Water/washing speed pro 3861

Hi all. I just bought my first speedy (caliber 3861 Hesalite). I know it is recommended to not get the speedy wet and I do not plan to swim with it. However, on my other watches (Rolex and Panerai) I use a toothbrush, dish soap, and water to clean them. Is this a bad idea for the Speedy as scrubbing the case/pushers with water and soap may allow water/soap to get into the case the through the pushers?

You will be fine as long as the seals are intact. A new METAS certified watch should be presumed to have good seals. But don't use the pushers while wet. Never had the need to use a brush to clean a watch head, if needed I'll use a damp Q-Tip.

For cleaning I recommend getting some real microfiber cloths. Use your fingers and a little detergent under water (don't use the pushers) and then drip dry, finish with the microfiber cloth. I have other watches when I know I am going to be submerged in water but I never hesitate getting my speedy watch wet doing dishes, watering the lawn, going out in the rain,etc. That said, you can swim with no problem with a 3861 provided the case hasn't been opened (without pressure testing) and be sure not to use the pushers underwater.

Or you can wear it while taking a shower so it get a scrubbin while you are there anyway 😉

Haven't swum with them yet, but I've been wearing my 1861/3861 Speedmasters while working out or playing tennis. After those activities I always shower with them, I sometimes even take the watch off my wrist to wash the case back and the bracelet. Zero problem so far.

Back to OP's question, I don't think there should be any issues as long as you don't accidentally activate the chrono pusher. The Speedy can take a fair amount of water, contrary to popular belief.

Hi all. I just bought my first speedy (caliber 3861 Hesalite). I know it is recommended to not get the speedy wet and I do not plan to swim with it. However, on my other watches (Rolex and Panerai) I use a toothbrush, dish soap, and water to clean them. Is this a bad idea for the Speedy as scrubbing the case/pushers with water and soap may allow water/soap to get into the case the through the pushers?

not true, more of a myth on watch forums caused by hard to understand Omega charts and personal opinions 😀 just keep your pressure tests up to date and don’t time anything underwater and you’ll be fine

Just remember watches can still fail the day after a pressure test. I’m hard on my watches and my 145.022 seemed to have an issue every 2 years that compromised its water resistance without me initially noticing. Whether it was knocking it against a doorway and having the crystal slightly pop off (didn’t see til moisture appeared under the crystal), or a pusher beginning to wiggle (I guess things happen after 5 years of daily use), I seem to have had unusually bad luck, but fortunately never submerged the watch in water after any of these incidents.

Maybe the 3861 is hardier than the 145.022 — does it have any additional levels of water resistance or shock resistance the previous generations didn’t have?

The biggest concern I’d have cleaning a Speedy with a toothbrush would be using it near the pushers — there’s a risk you activate the pusher and water/debris from the bristles gets into the watch.
Edited:

I just rinse my watches off under the faucet and wipe with a cloth...

Even the ones on leather straps, but for those i try to avoid the strap as much as i can and dry the strap first.