Forums Latest Members

Anyone Go Swimming With A Speedmaster?

1. fulcanelli Oct 9, 2021

Foo2rama likes this.
  2. fulcanelli Oct 9, 2021

But I was hoping they would improve the WR for the new moonwatch. If the astronauts land in the sea on the way home they’re in trouble. But seriously, I think Sinn have managed to make a chrono with tolerances so precise it doesn’t need seals. Come on omega step it up. And throw in a screw down crown for good measure.

3. 140dave Oct 9, 2021

Not at all, assuming that’s where they planned on landing. Now, if they are in over 50m deep in the water yes, serious issue with the landing but dont think they’ll be worried about the Speedy at that point….

David J likes this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 9, 2021

My Speedmaster knows how to swim...

...but doesn't.

flw and Emil like this.
  5. DoctorEvil Oct 9, 2021

Wally Schirra did!
    1964.jpg zchronograph.jpg MoonwatchUniverseW02.jpg

6. Pazzo Oct 9, 2021

You're playing with fire even though it's water!

marco, noelekal and Duracuir1 like this.
  7. derv Oct 10, 2021

I don’t swim with any of my watches because it’s so uncomfortable having wet skin under a bracelet or strap.

marco and noelekal like this.
  8. Emil Oct 10, 2021

I should be fine for as long as I keep the watch serviced . But thanks for the advice!

Emil

9. Emil Oct 10, 2021

Nice ones! I know as well 72C746E2-5656-40DB-BAC8-D5ED2031B210.jpeg 87C63A28-803E-4FC5-BEF7-23A6286C63C8.jpeg !

padders likes this.
  10. Bugbait Oct 12, 2021

The Seamaster and Planet Ocean chronographs have non-screw down pushers that can be operated under water so why make the Speedmaster chunkier when most don't need that function? Screw down pushers on a chronograph are impractical anyway.

Moving part that doesn't need seals? That would be interesting, got any links to share about it?

11. Emil Oct 31, 2021

If it is serviced and pressured tested, no problem to take it swimming…

12. Speede Oct 31, 2021

I wouldn’t risk it. Lots of mixed feedback, I’ve always been advised not to. And it’s an excuse to buy a diver. Haha

noelekal likes this.
  13. PandaSPUR Oct 31, 2021

Now that its been 5 years, I wonder if the OP decided to take his speedy swimming after all.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 1, 2021

Ah yes, my least favourite topic comes up again. So to provide even more evidence (that I'm sure will be ignored) Omega recently published some training materials on the Omega Extranet for their sales staff. I can't show it directly because it's internal documentation, but I will quote from it, It starts off with this:

HOW DEEP CAN YOUR OMEGA REALLY GO?

Water resistance remains one of the most complex questions in watchmaking. This is why we are taking you below the surface to reveal what our timepieces can truly withstand in the aquatic environment. This knowledge will ensure a shared understanding within our CS organization and give you an extra edge when managing customer cases related to moisture.

A little further down it clarifies what an Omega watch with even the most minimal water resistance can do:

The OMEGA standard:

OMEGA watches are water resistant to the depth defined by the model’s specifications, as long as the components assuring the sealing are intact. This means that a 30-meter water resistant OMEGA watch can be worn to swim (with energetic motion) up to 30 meters underwater for extended periods.

So in fact you can take a properly maintained watch, rated for just 30m, down to 30m, and swim with "energetic motion" and it will still be fine.

Cheers, Al

SC1, SSGMT, Tekashi_145.022 and 11 others like this.
  15. hronists Nov 1, 2021

can someone please contact Omega ASAP and let them know about dynamic pressure that builds in all cavities and angles? No sane person should take their Luxury Omega watch top swim!

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 1, 2021

Please go right ahead...let us know what they say. I'm sure their engineers would love to see your math on this.

Scarecrow Boat and tooch like this.
  17. 140dave Nov 1, 2021

this is sarcasm....right?
    Dynamic pressure while swimming negates water resistance....and the moonlanding was faked too.....right?

tooch likes this.
  18. Zanzibar Nov 1, 2021

Omg, when are we going to be done with this ?

tooch likes this.
  19. PandaSPUR Nov 1, 2021

bahahahah. no idea why this 5yo thread got bumped.

20. Zanzibar Nov 1, 2021

At last you would think archer’s post would settle the story once and for all by giving direct information from omega but nope, someone had to come up with the dynamic pressure of about 1/100 of a psi once again.
    Standing by for the next soap acidity comment when under the shower ffs hahahaha
    ::facepalm1::

tooch likes this.