Watches others love…that cause you to scratch your head

Posts
7,320
Likes
23,726
Disclaimer: to each their own. If you love it, and it makes you happy, then I get it. That not withstanding…

Two that come to mind:



I get the history
I love the watch
I love the dog
Together? And the asymmetrical sub-dials?



I get the rarity
I get the Ultraman association
But the orange hand that jumps out?



What are yours?
 
Posts
1,992
Likes
15,503
Those Louis Erard/Silberstein watches with the primary colors and squiggly hands. Some of my watch bros have them and I just don’t get it.

 
Posts
1,992
Likes
15,503

Mole! Moley moley moley! That scene makes me laugh so much.
 
Posts
24,796
Likes
55,077
Regardless of any "disclaimer," this thread is essentially offensive by design.
 
Posts
7,320
Likes
23,726
Regardless of any "disclaimer," this thread is essentially offensive by design.

I apologize if the lighthearted undertone didn’t come through.
 
Posts
219
Likes
209
I might be in the minority, but I've never been a fan of the Rolex Sub design. A lots of brands have tried to copy/improve it but I always find it difficult to connect with it.
 
Posts
844
Likes
6,758
Anything with teardrop lugs... 🥱

10778772_fullsize.jpg

Oh, and 99% of modern Omega watches, especially wavy dial Seamasters. Ugly, cheap looking and those hollow hands are just stupid and unnecessary ::stirthepot::

ddd_big11_nominal.jpeg
Edited:
 
Posts
13,902
Likes
54,076
The Patek Elipse, Smaller Calatrava. Anything by Cartier, Two Tone Rolex. Anything Disco Volante. +1 on most modern Seamaster Pro's
 
Posts
7,320
Likes
23,726
I might be in the minority, but I've never been a fan of the Rolex Sub design. A lots of brands have tried to copy/improve it but I always find it difficult to connect with it.

That’s what makes a horse race. Because I always thought of the Sub design, especially without the date, as a classic.
 
Posts
3,431
Likes
9,107
Anything from Richard Mille and any skeletonized watch.
 
Posts
2,583
Likes
3,869
Anything “skeletonized” like this POS. Especially if it’s done to an otherwise decent watch.
 
Posts
15,930
Likes
47,822
I’m certain I would be kicked off the OB if I were to express my thoughts on watches enjoyed by other habituės of the message board, that I do not particularly like! So I keep my thoughts to myself. I am certain that many watches that make me hum might be disliked by others. Good thing we’re not all the same.
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,376
Two words: PALM FRONDS. That being said, to each his own. I'm sure that not everyone shares my particular taste in watches.
R.73ef7187b1d0a3ee3b8a4308112a0a59
 
Posts
3,651
Likes
24,745
I am just confused by how everyone is walking around with time-only watches everyday. How are you all tracking and managing all of your time-sensitive operations without a timing bezel, paired with a chronograph, and possibly also a GMT hand or regatta timer?
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,376
I am just confused by how everyone is walking around with time-only watches everyday. How are you all tracking and managing all of your time-sensitive operations without a timing bezel, paired with a chronograph, and possibly also a GMT hand or regatta timer?
Oh, that's easy. My life is a complicated mess -- but I'm generally on time for the complete lack of organization. 😁
 
Posts
7,320
Likes
23,726
I’m certain I would be kicked off the OB if I were to express my thoughts on watches enjoyed by other habituės of the message board, that I do not particularly like! So I keep my thoughts to myself. I am certain that many watches that make me hum might be disliked by others. Good thing we’re not all the same.

This I don’t get. These are just watches. If someone thinks my watch is horrendously ugly, that’s okay. I’d like to hear why. Maybe my take on it would change. That’s how we learn, or come to see things In a different way.

Dennis, one of the previous moderators here, HATED. Speedmasters. I really like them. We also have things in common we like, and dislike. All good…
 
Posts
7,320
Likes
23,726
The Patek Elipse, Smaller Calatrava. Anything by Cartier, Two Tone Rolex. Anything Disco Volante. +1 on most modern Seamaster Pro's

Larry,

Tell me more about the Disco Volante. I always thought of it as sort of understated. What do you find uninspiring about it?

 
Posts
7,689
Likes
22,049
The Patek Smaller Calatrava. Anything by Cartier.
OMG, you’ve just named the watches I would get if I could only have one daily wearer- and if I could afford them of course. 😵‍💫
Disco volante I also like- but that would not be my one daily wearer.