Forums Latest Members
  1. chickenman26 Aug 2, 2017

I got the hots lately for another Omega. So when my "friend" at my OB invited me in to see all the new Baselworld releases, I jumped at the chance. With a 7" wrist, I limit myself to watches around 36 to 41 mm, though some outside that range wear better than their stated size. But I have to say the new 44.25 mm Speedy Racing models looked freakin' huge on me. Pass. I figured the Speedy 38 would be perfect, but it actually looked dinky and almost fragile. Mega pass.The Cernan LE Speedy pro is drop dead gorgeous, but not something I'd wear for fear of damaging it. Pass. So I'm on the way out and a steel on steel blue dial Globemaster catches my eye. Classy. Different than anything else I own (mostly Omega sporty watches). Uhhh...can I try that on? Beefy and heavy. The pics don't do it justice. I swung my best deal, which included a decent discount and a blue leather strap, and it followed me home.
    DSCN2710.JPG DSCN2711.JPG
    The legibility of this watch is outstanding from any angle and under all lighting conditions, including total darkness.
    DSCN2709.JPG
    The bracelet bends in only one direction, so my hunch is that accidentally sitting on it when it's laying like this will badly damage it.
    DSCN2707.JPG
    The sales guy removed two links from the bracelet and it fit great, but I wanted the bracelet reversed on the watch head. He didn't want to try it for some reason, so passed it to the OB manager. After getting the watch home, I examined it under magnification and could see that the manager must have a hard time with that bracelet. She used a 6767-F, and I could see some small marks on the lower inside edge of the lugs that told me she used the tool as a pry bar, rather than just pulling toward the center. They do have the Bergeon 6825 pliers tool, but said it doesn't work. Maybe it has the fine forks installed. Otto Frei says it works great on Omega with the standard forks, and it does. I expected an ordeal, but I had that bracelet swapped for the strap so fast and easy, I was giggling as I did it. The tool is pricey, and I hadn't seen it discussed here much, so I thought I'd give it a thumbs up and post some pics.
    DSCN2712.JPG
    DSCN2717.JPG
    First, use the adjustment screw to set the distance between forks so the forks just slide between the lugs. This'll prevent the tool from opening far enough to scratch the lugs if you accidentally lose your grip. Flat sides slide between lugs. Forks slip onto spring bars. Apply pressure toward the bar, squeeze to compress, slide the watch head away. No marks left, and the spring bars don't escape from the tool.

DSCN2714.JPG
    Put the spring bar into the strap, compress with the tool, slide into place, and release. Voila! This punches all my fun tickets for the rest of the year....maybe. :whipped:
    DSCN2719.JPG DSCN2720.JPG

DSCN2715.JPG
    Edited Aug 2, 2017
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 2, 2017

I still think about these every week or so.. One day.

AveConscientia and Jwit like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 2, 2017

Every time I see one I'm very tempted. If I ever have to work in an office again it's my consolation present to myself.

4. boat2dan Aug 2, 2017

What about the dial color! Awesome. Nice choice. Congrats!

5. Shailor Aug 2, 2017

Beautiful timepiece! I've got this on my wishlist.

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 2, 2017

I love this watch

Longbow likes this.
  7. Bushido Aug 2, 2017

Congratulations on the new time piece! The blue dial and strap really look great together.

8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 2, 2017

Your Globemaster is very appealing. The Globemaster in all its variants is one of the best looking models in Omega's line.

Buster, AveConscientia and lievain like this.
  9. chickenman26 Aug 2, 2017

Thanks. I actually planned all along to wear it on the strap, but I figured it was better to get it on the bracelet for an extra $100 and weasel them out of the strap. It's really soft, and it reduces the heft of the watch noticeably.

10. hendra324 dealer who would rather use aftermarket parts Aug 2, 2017

nice choice

11. Madjam1966 Aug 3, 2017

Stunning. Congratulations

12. w.finkenstaedt Aug 3, 2017

Still trying to decide between this or the 300 for my next. Decisions, decisions...

13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 3, 2017

What they say. #want.

14. JSal16 Aug 3, 2017

Congratulations on the new piece. It looks so much better on the blue strap IMO. Wear it in good health

15. West Slope Aug 3, 2017

Very nice watch but please tell me you own that John Player Edition Norton in your profile photo!

16. chickenman26 Aug 3, 2017

It was in my care for almost a year while I restored it for a member of the family that owns U-Haul Corporation. Total basket case and missing many parts when they brought it in. PM me if you want the sordid details. FYI, these things are a lot more fun to talk about and look at than to actually ride.

West Slope likes this.
  17. West Slope Aug 3, 2017

I don't doubt it! I will send you a PM....

18. _Omega_ Aug 3, 2017

Cool story - thanks for sharing. GREAT watch. Classy but also very cool. That strap is a nice option to have - looks phenomenal either way.

All of mine are Seamasters. So, my next one is most likely going to be a Speedmaster. But your pics make the Globemaster pretty tempting.

19. Toishome Aug 3, 2017

Just bought the Bergeon 6767-F but now the 6825 on my buy list ::facepalm1::

20. mikechi22 Aug 4, 2017

That Globemaster is just phenomenal! Congrats on your purchase and your skillful negotiation! The old pie pan Constellation is what drew me to this forum, so the Globemaster really resonates with me! Your post is worthy of two, by the way! One about the watch, the other about the tool you used to switch the bracelet!

chickenman26 and Longbow like this.