Forums Latest Members

How do you collate your watch information?

1. ClarendonVintage Nov 30, 2017

The other day I was tidying up my collection, I made it a point to include as much description and details of my watches as possible. At the moment it is all collated in an unassuming notepad text file: random bits of information under various sub headings. I put the watch photography stuff in a separate folder with individual sub folders, although I have been wanting to put everything together is a big excel document.

I am thinking there must be a better way to put everything together. Not quite going for a blog format or anything, but i wish there is a software or document that displays the photos and descriptions all together: i love to include as much detail as I can, e.g. previous ownership, history of its movements, even the description of its leather strap etc...I think a big part of enjoying collecting watches is to have your own database where you would enjoy reading through each entry as if it was your favourite novel. Can anyone relate?

superfly and Mad Dog like this.
  2. Canuck Nov 30, 2017

Our lawyer recently asked us to compile a codicil to go with our wills. I use Microsoft Publisher. I set up a grid which suited my purposes. It took me about a week, including the photography, working at it when I was able. Each entry has a photo, and any pertinent information. 38 pages later (8 items to a page), I had it done. I was surprised! Your enquiry is re: a computer data base. Can’t help there, but the way I did it works for me.

Off topic. What did you do about the Tudor you enquired about, recently?

3. ClarendonVintage Nov 30, 2017

Will check out Microsoft Publisher, sounds interesting!

I purchased the Tudor, I will send you some photos if you'd like to see as soon as it arrives :)

4. Canuck Nov 30, 2017

I would like to see more of the Tudor. As to Microsoft Publisher. Once the information on your watches is compiled, you don’t access the information the same way as you might in a data base. For that, there are other programs that have been discussed on the OMB that would give you a retrievable type of data base feature. This is a scan of one page of the codicil I made up, to be filed with our wills.

738ABAC8-78ED-4771-924E-E042DF5AFE77.jpeg

Edited Nov 30, 2017
  5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 30, 2017

Holy crap this is just a tad more organized than the gym bags and plastic bags I shove watches into. I repurpose colorful plastic bags from my perpetually angry Korean neighborhood grocer.

You (obviously) don't need to answer this if it makes you uncomfortable but what do the dollar values represent?

-rich

Mad Dog likes this.
  6. Canuck Nov 30, 2017

As I mentioned in my post, this was done up as a form of codicil to attach to our will. Could you image the complication of itemizing all this stuff in a will? The pages number either 5 or 6 items per page, and there are 38 pages. That comprises in excess of 200 items, including my watch collection, numerous clocks, marine chronometers, and my wife’s jewellery. The dollar values listed are simply a guide for our heirs, in deciding what to keep, and what to liquidate, and a guide they should try to strive for if liquidating stuff. Not advertising for sale as such, at those prices.

citizenrich likes this.
  7. ClarendonVintage Nov 30, 2017

Y
    Clearly then you would need to draw up a table! 200, jeez

Love the image you've attached, very organised and neat.

8. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 30, 2017

It looks better (more professional) than the production of most of the auction houses I see out there lol

9. sxl2004 Nov 30, 2017

I totally agree, I am just missing the hype. Once in awhile “rare” and/or important should be added.

Does anyone use Excel? I am trying, but adding the pictures makes it less unwieldy.

10. Vitezi Nov 30, 2017

I use Excel. One row per watch. Columns include: Dial photo (sized to 25mm/1" square), movement serial number, case reference or serial, caliber, lug width (for straps), price paid, service date, condition notes, and miscellaneous research notes...

Kmart, lando, Tony C. and 3 others like this.
  11. sxl2004 Nov 30, 2017

Hmm that sounds more successful than y attempt. 25mm is small for these old eyes , do you link to larger pictures?

12. Canuck Nov 30, 2017

Microsoft Publisher makes that sort of grid very easy, as is the addition of photos for each entry. The involved part is gathering the information for each entry.

ClarendonVintage likes this.
  13. Looneytoons Nov 30, 2017

You might also try Open Office. This is an open source alternative (free to download and use for personal use) to MS Office.
    It has a database that will accept photos and can link to a spreadsheet.
    Files can be saved it its native format or MS compatible.

No affiliation, just a happy end user of an excellent piece of software.

ClarendonVintage likes this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 1, 2017

Sounds so technical might try it.

Orange pelican case = modern
    Grey pelican case = vintage

Note inside each " for the best price sell via Hodinkee "

Done :thumbsup:

gostang9, Kmart, lando and 4 others like this.
  15. ClarendonVintage Dec 1, 2017

Will check out open office. Although I am not very good at office or generally with spreadsheets...

Looneytoons likes this.
  16. Waltesefalcon Dec 1, 2017

Can you adopt me? I only have one 992 and do not have a 992B or 992E yet.

17. Vitezi Dec 1, 2017

Yes, Excel allows you to embed a hyperlink so I link each spreadsheet entry to the corresponding computer file folder for that watch. The file folder contains (for example) original auction photos, photos taken during service, research notes or example photos of similar watches, etc.

sxl2004 likes this.
  18. Ninja2789 Dec 1, 2017

I currently use excel, but I've got a project going on with creating a website to catalog pricing information across time. If only I wasn't so lazy/busy/have kids/like to sleep/etc I could probably get it up and running.

MaiLollo likes this.
  19. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 1, 2017

20. Canuck Dec 1, 2017

Next time we re-do our wills, I’ll keep your request in mind. I also have a 950, a 952, and a 992. Not counting numerous 18-size models. On the other hand, watch for my obituary. Our one and only heir is not interested in my watches.:(