Watches and stick shifts

Posts
1,454
Likes
6,532
Is it really a stick shift if it has a D and P on it? 😀

(Just giving you a hard time from an old timer, where a “stick shift” means a manual transmission.)
'cos otherwise it's a "go/park/.go backwards" device.
 
Posts
4,865
Likes
24,758
I had a '23 R 20th Anniversary for a few months. I would have liked it more if it would have been a true manual, but by the time I ordered it they were done building manuals.
This one is a '24 I picked up in January of this year. One of the last...
Fun fact. It just got stuck in some hail earlier today. Took a beating, but could be worse.
Hopefully the PDR magicians come through.
 
Posts
2,377
Likes
11,223
This one is a '24 I picked up in January of this year. One of the last...
Fun fact. It just got stuck in some hail earlier today. Took a beating, but could be worse.
Hopefully the PDR magicians come through.
Good luck. We have a really good PDR guy we use at the dealership. What I meant about manual, was they were done with 23's.
 
Posts
4,335
Likes
12,746
The US is abysmal in the manual transmission count, just 3.7% of registered vehicles are manual, and less than 1.5% of new vehicles sold are manual. It's a lost skill for drivers. Many valets won't park a manual transmission car, the kids don't know how to operate it.

That's shame, I'm doing the best I can with 100% of my registered vehicles being manuals. Here are the three in the driveway.
 
Posts
772
Likes
7,530
Laminated balsa shift knob in a ‘73 911. Mimics the 917 shift knob, where the race program was intent on squeezing out every excess gram. Comfortable too, since it Doesn’t get smoking hot in the summer sun like a metal knob might.

 
Posts
65
Likes
157
1999 Jeep Wrangler and a hand-assembled parts watch with an NH35 movement that I put together about a year ago.😁
 
Posts
6,420
Likes
31,479
This is my 21st stick shift car since 2013, Trilogy in a Kia Picanto:

 
Posts
1,740
Likes
5,677
This is my 21st stick shift car since 2013, Trilogy in a Kia Picanto:

At that rate, you're going through cars like Sherman through Georgia.
 
Posts
6,420
Likes
31,479
At that rate, you're going through cars like Sherman through Georgia.
Probably, nice benefit of working at a car distributor.😀
 
Posts
1,740
Likes
5,677
Probably, nice benefit of working at a car distributor.😀
Sounds like a lot of fun!
 
Posts
15,930
Likes
47,825
This was a four speed which we bought new in 1978. Four on the floor. Sold in 2020. This picture was taken at a local special interest car show. The new owner power polished it and changed the wheels and tires. He won second in class with it. AMC Concord fast back. One of 2,500, and likely the last one still on the road.

 
Posts
99
Likes
305
Golf GTI 6 speed Every car I’ve had has been stick. ‘84 Corrolla, 83 Jeep CJ7, 99 Dodge Dakota
The Jeep WAS a 4 speed manual, but I put Chevy small block in it and it eventually became 1,2 and then 4. 3rd gear kind of disintegrated. Blew out the rear drive shaft too catching 2nd gear Doesn’t help that I had 33” tires on. That was fun and a big money pit

 
Posts
7,774
Likes
14,366
Golf GTI 6 speed Every car I’ve had has been stick. ‘84 Corrolla, 83 Jeep CJ7, 99 Dodge Dakota
The Jeep WAS a 4 speed manual, but I put Chevy small block in it and it eventually became 1,2 and then 4. 3rd gear kind of disintegrated. Blew out the rear drive shaft too catching 2nd gear Doesn’t help that I had 33” tires on. That was fun and a big money pit

And you can't even get a GTI any longer with a manual transmission, at least in the USA. Just the DSG automatic transmission now. Sad.
 
Posts
18,302
Likes
27,671
Nice to see my question being answered ... and it's just as I suspected. A big Venn overlap indeed!

And you can't even get a GTI any longer with a manual transmission, at least in the USA. Just the DSG automatic transmission now. Sad.
Golf R though is available in manual still.
 
Posts
7,774
Likes
14,366
Golf R though is available in manual still.
Just checked the VW website.....Golf R has DSG automatic as standard. I don't see manual option.
 
Posts
18,302
Likes
27,671
Just checked the VW website.....Golf R has DSG automatic as standard. I don't see manual option.
Looks like they dropped it for this year.
 
Posts
4,865
Likes
24,758
Yeah 2024 was the last year of the M/T.
And if I recall, Europe hasn't had a M/T Golf R in years, even though USA did.