Forums Latest Members

Watch Winder - do I need it?

1. ohmzx Feb 12, 2017

First apologize if someone already asked this question. Didn't see that through search function yet.

Since I have accumulated/collected a few omega watches in the past year.

I was just wondering if I need to buy a watch winder at all?? I usually wear my Speedy and leave my PO sitting at home (being lonely) on the weekend. Watch winder will keep my PO happy while I'm out with Speedy.

If yes, what's the good brand that I can buy and put it in my bedroom without waking me up at night? Or maybe I don't need one at all. I'm ok with setting the time on my PO after 3-4 days of not wearing it.

Also one more question,Having a winder will it prolong the life of the watch movement? Thanks guys.

2. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 12, 2017

Do you need one?
    No.

Do you need a watch?
    No.

Do you like having a watch?
    Assuming since you are here you do.

Would you like having a watch winder?
    It certainly would be nice to not have to set your PO when you switch(if the power reserve runs out)

Like most things a winder is more of a luxury item. If you have spare cash to throw around for one why not? Worst case scenario you sell it for a small loss.

I personally plan on investing in one for two(or more) of my watches. I am doing this because one is my work Seiko and I don't want to have to set the day and date and time when I'm running late to work. The other is my Bulova 666 which does not have a quickset date. This makes setting the date(which I am stickler for) a huge PITA. So I would like to keep it running.

As for your question about prolonging the movement's life...

Well keeping your watching running all the time will increase wear because it's... well running ALL THE TIME. Naturally a machine that is continually operated will wear faster than one that is not. However I don't think the wear is significant enough for you to worry if you stick to the regular/suggested service interval of every 5ish years.

If you want a more technical answer I know Al
    (archer) has answered this question at least once in another thread. Some searching on OF should reveal the thread to you.

As for brands... I can't suggest because I don't have any. But Wolf seems to be the most common/well made. Doesn't hurt to try an inexpensive off-brand before spending a big hunk of change.

Hope I helped.

-Jake

ohmzx likes this.
  3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 12, 2017

I received a watch winder from my son for Christmas. Big plus not having to set the dates on my Ploprof and skyfall.

It is very quiet and does not seem to rotate very often. I would recommend a winder. Downside for me is that those two watches are not near my others and consequently my Ploprof sees less wrist time. But it could also my newfound love for Speedmasters.

IMG_20170212_161605.jpg

ohmzx, Mad Dog and Jwit like this.
  4. night0wl Feb 12, 2017

My personal take is if you had a watch that didn't have a quickset date, that you maybe wear once a week or once every other week, get one or if you had a watch with some sort of PITA setup like a moonphase then get one.

I have winders, 3 of them to be exact, and only the lady uses hers daily and she follows the manufacturer suggested service intervals so doesn't care. The other two sit powered off and have gone unused.

Everything you read or is suggested will just amount to personal preference. If you don't like to wind the crown every 5 days and set the date, about 30-45 seconds of your time for the PO, then get a winder so you can just pickup and go. If you didn't use a winder and just set it each time you could probably extend service times outside of the normal vs in a winder, how much? don't know.

For winders it's only ever suggested that you look at the direction and rotations for daily turns per day and make sure they work for your specific watch. I'll search for the Omega doc and post it here.

Wolf winders are generally suggested on forums. What I strongly dislike about the Wolf winders, and their entire brand as a whole, is they pride themselves on 180 years of German family heritage and yet they "hand make" everything in China. I have a hard time taking a company serious that is in the "pursuit for perfection, luxury and elegance" when all their goods come from China.

ohmzx likes this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 12, 2017

Wow! Amazed they make a winder strong enough to move that ploprof!

6. night0wl Feb 12, 2017

7. Vitezi Feb 12, 2017

8. EdistoJim Feb 12, 2017

If its not running, its not wearing itself out. I've had several winders, some very good ones, they always gave much more trouble than the watch or watches they were supposed to maintain. I wind my own. To each his own.

ohmzx likes this.
  9. semper_shells Feb 12, 2017

I have a wolf that was given to me when I purchased my Tudor. I now have two and this one cost like $200 so for the investment I think it's worth the money.
    IMG_0508.JPG

ohmzx likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 12, 2017

I have 5 watches with dates all quickset.

I have 2 winders... I rotate heavily so normally I set them in the morning and don't use the winders . My Seiko beater spends some on the winder if I'm wearing it off and on through the week. Sometimes my POC is there on the summer when I where it off and on throughout the week.

ohmzx likes this.
  11. corn18 Feb 12, 2017

My two Bremont watches are not screw crowns and are extremely difficult to pull the crown out to set. To the point I have to get a tool to get them out. So I got a two slot winder for them. If I had any non quickest date watches or moonwatches or annual/perpetual calendar watches, they would get a winder. Other than those, I really enjoy the 2-3 minutes it takes to set my submariner or speedmaster. That is time well spent for me.

ohmzx likes this.
  12. ohmzx Feb 12, 2017

All, appreciate all the good info. The PO has A quick set so maybe I won't need one but man agree with Jake that it's a luxury to have. I think it will be cool to have at the house but hate to have this thing making noise when I sleep. Thanks ya all again.

13. ohmzx Feb 12, 2017

Thanks for spending time on suggestion! Wow. Appreciated!

Jwit likes this.
  14. ohmzx Feb 12, 2017

After reading thru the link from Vitelli (thanks) , the concencus is you don't really need one but it will be cool if you have one. Lol.

15. OhMegaMan Feb 13, 2017

Basically if you have more than one automatic watches, winder will be a good convenience of not having to set up the time/date again. You can just grab and go come the time to wear the watch. I have winder and many automatic watches, but i almost never used the winder. So that tells you the usefulness of winder in the daily grind of life.

Btw be careful with all gold watch on winder, as they are heavy enough to ruin the winder motor. Happened to me.

16. ohmzx Feb 13, 2017

Thanks the more i read on it, the more i dont want it. Sounds like a small headache to me if you have one and the nice quiet ones are not cheap either.