Forums Latest Members

Is It Necessary To Have A Watch Winder??

1. lexusislee Jan 10, 2015

Hello guys,

Is it necessary to have a watch winder? I have two automatic watches, a rolex sub and an omega Seamaster. Sometimes I can go a week or so not wearing one of them, I may wear one or the other for a week plus. I have read a lot about them, is it a necessary item or a luxury purchase to look nice with your watches in lol? Can anyone recommend a good manufacturer?

Cheers
    Lee

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2015

Not necessary at all, Orbita and Wolf make nice winders but its certainly a luxury purchase, I'm selling mine soon as I don't really use it.

lexusislee likes this.
  3. lexusislee Jan 10, 2015

Cheers so all the stuff I have read about the oils drying out is not true? I was looking at wolf winders nice bit of kit. What do you have are you selling it on here or eBay ?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2015

Al Archer recently answered that and no, a winder doesn't prevent oils drying in your watch. I haven't decided where or how to sell mine yet but its a Viceroy 2.7 8 slot winder

5. redpcar Jan 10, 2015

I like the watch winder for watches that have a screw down crown. I always feel like I'm going to wear out the crown constantly unscrewing to set the time. It would be a great thing to have for your sub.

6. lexusislee Jan 10, 2015

Thank you, think I will just get a better watch case then. Wow 8 watch winder don't think I will be needing one of them for a few years ha

7. lexusislee Jan 10, 2015

Didn't think about that lol I'm in two minds now

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 10, 2015

I use a winder for my TDMP Breitling because there is just too much to re-set if it stops and for my Cartier Tanque Francaise because it hurts your fingers to wind it.

9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 10, 2015

No winder required here, far to many volunteers in the household wanting to wear my pieces :(
    Apart from the reasons mentioned by @Stewart H I see no reason for a winder, others may disagree.

10. anselmw Jan 10, 2015

[​IMG]
    I love my winders. Especially as you get more watches, it saves time winding them as well as wear and tear on screw down crown watches.

11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 10, 2015

You really have to balance the maintenance cost against the convenience. A winder can cause accelerated wear to items that are vulnerable, such as the axle/bearings of the oscillating weight and the higher cost items such as the reversing wheel. My Cartier is particularly susceptible to this.It reduces the service interval and increases the service cost but I accept this because I probably wouldn't bother wearing it if I didn't keep it on the winder. It is probably more than the equivalent of wearing it every day.

woodwkr2 likes this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 10, 2015

I would think a winder just shortens the life cycle before servicing as it is like keeping the engine on your car running full time in the garage, while you're on vacation in another country.

I like to give a shake to my automatics every now and then and a little winding on the manuals, but not every day.

13. jud Jan 10, 2015

I personally enjoy setting the watch I plan to wear in the morning. For some reason it puts me in the right mindset for the day. I don't have that many watches, certainly not as many as some of you, but I do appreciate wearing different watches in rotation.

14. woodwkr2 Jan 10, 2015

Winder?! I've got two wrists, thanks.

15. puddlep1rate Jan 10, 2015

Don't winders just cause unnecessary wear and tear on watches that don't get very much wrist time?

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2015

It depends, if you've got vintage calendars with non-quickset date that you are servicing on an appropriate basis and rotating they're a godsend, like I might have 2-3 non-quicksets in the winder and be alternating between them. After a month or so I used to put those back in the vault and switch to some others so in that case the convenience is worth it. If you've got something like a Zenith Espada that you're rotating with another watch or two at a given time you're going to want a winder or annoying people will tell you in the elevator that the month and date are wrong.

And if someone notices your moonphase is wrong in the elevator, exit on the next floor, that guy isn't normal and is most likely a werewolf.

OmegaRookie likes this.
  17. ulackfocus Jan 10, 2015

40+ watches here and only one 4 head winder..... which has 3 heads running. They're only moving for convenience. When I used to own a calendar moon phase I made sure it stayed running because it was a pain in the a::censored:: to set, but everything else is on the winder for grab-and-go convenience.

18. ctime3 Jan 10, 2015

I totally believe you since I think most people here know their stuff. I was always told to get one because you don't want your watxh stopping every two weeks and starting up again.

19. harrymai86 Jan 10, 2015

I was browsing for winders too but when visiting this site I learn that it just fastens the time till service so no. Just wear them in turn.

20. ctime3 Jan 10, 2015

Thank you Sir