Forums Latest Members
  1. Kobus Jun 21, 2016

I am debating the need for one with myself.

When is it really needed?

Lets assume you have a decent watch box where your watches are stored.

If you alternate your watches on a weekly or two weekly basis, is there a need for a winder?

Also sometimes I might not put on my watch on a weekend day. I do then "worry" that they might run down before the next morning.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks

2. TheCaptainOfTech Jun 21, 2016

I find that I don't really use my winder all that often. Keep in mind I currently have 2 automatic watches and 2 manual wind watches. I find that that If you have a small collection of watches and interchange them regularly let's say every day then you might need one. I like to alternate on a weekly basis and find that there is no need to use my winder. I prefer to wind up my watches myself its just so much rewarding. That being said if I changed watches every day I could see how it would get a little annoying.

vintagelady likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 21, 2016

There's no need, they're just convenient if you rotate between many.

4. kov Trüffelschwein. Jun 21, 2016

I've bought myself a 2-slots winder some years ago. That time I had some 3-4 automatic watches I've been rotating between. Then I've got the Speedmaster disease - manual winding, winder became a storage box - and as collection increased I've relocated a good portion to a bank safe. Again because of my bias for speedmasters, my automatic watches moved away and only rarely see the daylight. ::facepalm1::

Edited Jun 21, 2016
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 21, 2016

Search as this has been done many times before.:whistling:

Best advice use a arm

image.jpeg

oddboy likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 21, 2016

I have a six slot winder that isn't plugged in. I just grab the watch that appeals to me on the day and give it a quick wind, set the time and put it on.

If it's a date model and the date window is so small that I can't see it I don't really care what day it is as long as I wake up in the morning.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 21, 2016

Except for my Seikos that have no manual wind.

I just set the time and do the Seiko wave and put it on, then I'm set for the day.

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  8. Kobus Jun 21, 2016

Might there be a problem with watches with screw down crowns and regular manual winding?

9. ulackfocus Jun 21, 2016

Gee, it's been over a year since we've discussed this topic so maybe my old joke will be fresh again. Most fun way to wind your watches:

52339-4dc17d074387c61dac6371de87ef34d2.jpg.png
    52340-fadbbf123703022e13616933984219a5.jpg
    52342-810e7eac8df06afa8f4c4b17adafc020.jpg.png

Here's my typical serious answers when this subject pops up:

SamQue and Baz9614 like this.
  10. Kobus Jun 21, 2016

:)

Even searching I will struggle finding an answer to my last question.

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 21, 2016

kov likes this.
  12. Kobus Jun 21, 2016

But then, 80% of posts on this forum could be done without if we all really want to search. But sometimes we just like the forum interaction.

13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 21, 2016

Don't know about screw-down crowns (not sure why it would make a difference). Why on earth would you put a manual wind on a winder?

14. Kobus Jun 21, 2016

I mean, manual winding of an automatic watch after it ran flat.

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 21, 2016

I have five collecting dust in my office closet. Said this before .... I've come to realize that having watches on winders is like leaving them in the garage with engines running. Once you get used to resetting complications it really doesn't take that much time and you avoid maintain costs.

16. Alex_TA Jun 21, 2016

Yes. Very conveniently.

17. vintagelady Jul 8, 2016

Thank goodness someone posed this question - so timely (PUNS). I just got off the phone with the watchmaker who has my most recent purchase, and he's been having some trouble/it's taking longer than he expected to finish servicing my watch... it's been 3 weeks. I was supposed to get it back two weeks ago, then anytime today, then this evening... now next week. SO FRUSTRATING. This is my first automatic, my other two being mechanical (all vintage), and I don't recall the mechanical ones being this much trouble. He's saying I could come pick it up today and pay ($255) or give him until next week and he'd comp me the service charge. Of course, I chose the latter. Apparently, it's taking so long because the watch is automatic and old (and probably hadn't seen the light of day or a kind face in decades, much less been serviced)... that got me thinking about maintenance - taking it in for checks, cleaning and winding. Was shopping around for a winder, but it seemed so many people had problems with anything under $300. Getting a little ahead of myself at that price, I think. Decided I will forgo and just use "elbow grease"... if I ever get my watch back, that is... :cautious:

18. italy1861 Jul 8, 2016

3 weeks is nothing. Depending on the watchmakers workload and whether or not he has to source parts, I've seen 6-8 weeks or more. If he does a good job I wouldn't complain

kov and Linzer like this.
  19. vintagelady Jul 8, 2016

That makes me feel so much better. I haggled and got a great deal on the watch (Omega Seamaster/Ladymatic Circa... 1960's?), but was starting to worry if maybe I bought a dud... Thanks!

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 8, 2016

3 even 6-8 weeks is nothing with a good watchmaker. I send a watch away and get it back when I get it back. Has been months and that's life mostly just happy that they have agreed to service my watch.
    Good watchmakers are hard to come by and having several watches I couldn't care how long it takes. To them nothing worse than someone ringing or emailing asking about their watch. ( less watchmaking time )

vintagelady and Linzer like this.