Watch suggestions 50s Omega

Hi,
I am looking for a 50s style omega similar to the one worn by Gosling in La La Land (picture for reference). I have a budget of around £500. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Is that an Omega? I don't see the logo. I'm thinking maybe JLC.

I’d say that top photo is not an Omega. This one from the movie definitely is. My suggestion for your purchase is something like a 2846.

I’d say that top photo is not an Omega. This one from the movie definitely is. My suggestion for your purchase is something like a 2846.
Yes sorry, I think he uses a couple of different watches in the movie

I'm not familiar with La La Land to know the setting. He may be wearing a '50s watch, but he's driving what appears to be an early to mid 1970s Chevy Caprice convertible.

I'm not familiar with La La Land to know the setting. He may be wearing a '50s watch, but he's driving what appears to be an early to mid 1970s Chevy Caprice convertible.

The setting is more modern, but the character has vintage tastes,

With a budget of £500, I might suggest you don't look for vintage Omega, because anything worth a darn will be three to four times that amount.

I do get the desire, for sure! I have some nice vintage Omega in my accumulation, but anything you can get for that price, you don't want.

You might look at vintage Tissot or Lemania, those were in the same family of the time. Perhaps even look for vintage British-made watches.

I do not intend to dissuade you from this quest, but a vintage watch you intend to wear is not only the purchase price but also a commitment to a lifetime (not yours, the watch) of maintenance. Vintage Omega, epecially early automatics, are frequently worn out in expensive places.

Perhaps look at models with an 1120 movement. Those are new enough to be easily repairable, and there are some nice models.

Or ask for suggestions.

Again, I do not want to dissuade you, only mention that any model similar to those shown in your pictures are beyond your budget, once you include restoration.

You might look at vintage Tissot or Lemania, those were in the same family of the time.
Did I hear vintage Tissot? From the fifties? 😗
family reunion.jpg

These are all from 1955 to 1959; most are around $200-250.
Edited:

Close enough - Google-Fu says '82 Buick Riviera. No wonder he's chosen a vintage Omega...

For those who don't know, we have an ID thread for this watch.
https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-omega-in-la-la-land.51031/page-5

The watch was ID'd as a relatively uncommon Y6277 from Star Watch Co.
IMG_4874_zpsqmfhveb3.jpg

Since this reference is going to be difficult for OP to get in the UK, I'd suggest a ref. 14390 or a ref. 14713, which have a somewhat similar case design (i.e. long, pointy lugs) and tend to sell for whithin OP's budget, although the latter reference has sub-seconds.
omega_vintage_rose_gold_mechanical_watch_1575347695_06a2afa4_progressive.jpg

With a budget of £500, I might suggest you don't look for vintage Omega, because anything worth a darn will be three to four times that amount.

There are plenty of other great brands, and many that carry less of a premium than Omega, so I don't disagree with the first part of your comment. However, these were recently bought for that price or less, and I think they all have some appeal. So vintage Omega pieces can be found in that budget range with some knowledge and patience.

IMG_1899.jpeg IMG_1651.jpeg IMG_2236.jpeg IMG_2692.jpeg
Edited:

There are plenty of other great brands, and many that carry less of a premium than Omega, so I don't disagree with the first part of your comment. However, these were recently bought for that price or less, and I think they all have some appeal. So vintage Omega pieces can be found in that budget range with some knowledge and patience.
I think we can all agree that you are an expert, but perhaps someone might not want to deal with the hassle. A mechanical is a commitment, roughly similar to a pet.

A Vostok Amphibian is a nice dirt cheap example. And as one progresses, the Amphibian can be the "I want a watch and don't mind it getting stolen" piece.

I had an Amphibian that kept time better than +4 in any position... after the wartchmaker was done etih it. 😀

... perhaps someone might not want to deal with the hassle.
That is quite possible. And in this price range, buyers should be prepared to pay at least double for the convenience of buying from a dealer. You can't expect a professional to run a business making just pocket change profit.

I just don't like to generalize, because there are definitely some new members who are budget conscious, but willing to learn and hunt.

Even in the UK you can certainly buy a very vintage Omega for £500.
You may just need a little extra for a service.

Granted, I live in Sweden, but I'd say that here you can surely find a watch like that for at least around that budget. Here's one (ok, not gold perhaps) for 523,81$ for instance.

https://www.tradera.com/item/1000983/547489242/omega-seamaster-36mm-med-krona-nyligen-gjort-servad

I know this because I spent quite some time looking for watches like that to see the price range after I got this for 150$. (hasn't failed me yet) 20220706_113911.jpg
That’s a very nice one aswell

Granted, I live in Sweden, but I'd say that here you can surely find a watch like that for at least around that budget. Here's one (ok, not gold perhaps) for 523,81$ for instance.

https://www.tradera.com/item/1000983/547489242/omega-seamaster-36mm-med-krona-nyligen-gjort-servad

I know this because I spent quite some time looking for watches like that to see the price range after I got this for 150$. (hasn't failed me yet) 20220706_113911.jpg
Unfortunately I don’t think that ships to the Uk

Are you just looking for a 50’s Omega in any case material or specifically gold/gold fill?

Unfortunately I don’t think that ships to the Uk

I could help you with that, it's not a big deal really and on that site you can only chose between shipping within Sweden or EU so there would be no way for him to include the Uk.