Waiting in line (Really Omega??)

I'm gobsmacked that this thread has extended to 3 pages already.

@gm3sf I think you need to get a grip of yourself and put this whole thing into some kind of perspective.

We get that you're angry at the experience your sister had but it seems that the only persons at fault here are the store management - not even Swatch and certainly not Omega. (the design and marketing strategy would have been agreed sometime ago at a Swatch 'mothership' level to dovetail into all of their watch brands marketing strategies)

There was an intentional limited supply to garner interest and the store made the mistake of advising those in the queue that folks up to a certain point would get a watch - but got the calculation wrong.

I'm pretty sure misguided store management doesn't count as a corporate hanging offence.....

Better luck getting a Snoopy Swatch when they restock the stores.

Like 6
I'm gobsmacked that this thread has extended to 3 pages already.

@gm3sf I think you need to get a grip of yourself and put this whole thing into some kind of perspective.

We get that you're angry at the experience your sister had but it seems that the only persons at fault here are the store management - not even Swatch and certainly not Omega. (the design and marketing strategy would have been agreed sometime ago at a Swatch 'mothership' level to dovetail into all of their watch brands marketing strategies)

There was an intentional limited supply to garner interest and the store made the mistake of advising those in the queue that folks up to a certain point would get a watch - but got the calculation wrong.

I'm pretty sure misguided store management doesn't count as a corporate hanging offence.....

Better luck getting a Snoopy Swatch when they restock the stores.
And I think you owe your sister a bottle of wine.

Like 4
I don't think we omega fans necessarily are their target group. What swatch did with the Moonswatches can be a big benefit for omega in the long run. I've seen a lot of younger people wearing it and liking the design. Chances are if they are looking for a luxury watch down the line they'll look at omega first.

I can report that two of the young sneaker heads at my work are suddenly into watches now. Our morning standup now includes side chatter about moonswatches and what vintage Seikos are up for auction on Instagram.

Like 2
I don't think we omega fans necessarily are their target group. What swatch did with the Moonswatches can be a big benefit for omega in the long run. I've seen a lot of younger people wearing it and liking the design. Chances are if they are looking for a luxury watch down the line they'll look at omega first.
The MoonSwatch is what pulled me into the watch ecosphere two years ago. And I have received 10x the compliments wearing a cheap plastic quartz watch than my nicer high end stuff. If it brings more people to appeciate horology than its a win.

Like 3
Most people aren’t buying it bc it’s a swatch. This is basically sold and marketed as an Speedmaster-lite. That’s a fact. The watch says Omega on it. It also clearly is labeled AS a Speedmaster. and again, my issue IS with Omega for allowing this to happen to something with THEIR name on it.
You can believe that a $300 plastic watch is actually an Omega Speedmaster-lite, but you are deluding yourself. It's a Swatch watch....period. This a marketing campaign and it is working splendidly. You are in no way getting anything that Omega designed or produced, either accept that or you'll be continually frustrated.

The issue of getting these special Swatches sold to people who really want them is a long standing issue with Swatch. Back in the early 90's when they came out with their first chronographs, scubas (Happy Fish!), alarm watches, and true limited editions for Christmas and other occasions it was a hit or miss chance to get one, and this was long before the internet. Ads in newspapers would announce them and then you'd search them out in the stores, mainly department stores at that time, the Swatch boutique idea was just getting started. But pickers were already out there beating the average Joe to the punch, and then reselling them. There was a store on 5th Avenue in NYC that sold only pre-owned Swatches, it was a brisk business. Old man Hayek was taking flak for not making enough Swatch watches for the masses and he started different ideas for distribution; go to the store on one day to get a coupon and then return the next day to buy the watch, lottery systems where you filled in a postcard on the chance you would be selected as one of the lucky ones, the Swatch Club where members were guaranteed special editions, and other schemes. It helped but hot issues were always difficult to get. Then the Swatch mania faded until 2022 and now the same issues with distribution have cropped back up. It is what it is, there will always be people who will buy and flip products whether it is housing, cars, watches, whatever. If you want to play that game prepare for frustration. Hayek always stated that the goal was for everyone to get the Swatch they wanted with a bit of effort and patience, that hasn't changed.
Edited:

I do think this is a long-term home run for Omega. Getting youngsters into the hobby with this plastic junk (sorry watch), they will eventually consider a real-deal Speedy once they get into higher-tier watch territory.

Like 3
I’m waiting for Rolex to introduce a “bioceramic” version of the Submariner, never have any in stock, and then sue The Swatch Group for infringement claiming that Rolex came up with the idea first.

Like 5
I’m waiting for Rolex to introduce a “bioceramic” version of the Submariner, never have any in stock, and then sue The Swatch Group for infringement claiming that Rolex came up with the idea first.

I know it's a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did that.

I know it's a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did that.
Neither would I.

Op: bad Omga for not selling me a Speedmaster

OF: It is not Omegas fault, and it is DEFENETLY NOT A SPEEDY!!

Ahh good times. ;)

Like 1
Quoted member hen
Op: bad Omga for not selling me a Speedmaster

OF: It is not Omegas fault, and it is DEFENETLY NOT A SPEEDY!!

Ahh good times. ;)

That we relive over and over again....

Like 1
That we relive over and over again....

And maybe again when the new generation of Bond starts and we get a Bond Seaswatch

Like 1
And maybe again when the new generation of Bond starts and we get a Bond Seaswatch

Right on time for the new Bond movie. See everyone in 2 years!

Like 1
The part about the cop cutting the line was seriously not cool.

Like 1
A SeaSwatch could be kinda cool and bring even more people to the brand. I dig it. They might have to shrink it and pink it if it’s a Bond watch though. ::stirthepot::

BarbieSwatch.

(I actuall think they exist or the timex ones do.)

Now it is time for KenSwatch!

Or OppySwatch?

What about DuneSwatch?

KunFooPandaSwatch?

The list (and this thread goes on as it it a finite bounded infinity.)

Ha ha ha...the Rolex jokes never get old. Like Jimmy Durante, 'you got a million of 'em!' :thumbsup:

Ha ha ha...the Rolex jokes never get old. Like Jimmy Durante, 'you got a million of 'em!' :thumbsup:
You know that I’m kidding. But they do make it SO easy. :D

Like 4
2. A lot of you are saying this is history repeating itself but not realizing that that’s exactly why it shouldn’t happen again.
You may be missing the point. This is exactly what Swatch wants to happen. The main value of these releases is to create buzz, and if people piss and moan about waiting in line or about flippers, so much the better for Swatch. Shame on the suckers who are victimized by it, IMO.

Like 4
Rolex doing that?
Tut tut!
Surely not Mr Harwood.

Like 2